Ignition blank keys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
Recently bought a used 2001 Ram 3500 came with only one Ignition key...Called local Dodge dealer
for price on (2) blank keys...Price $24.94 each....Don't know if price includes cutting them.
Went on E-bay and found (2) new Dodge blank ignition keys for $14.95....Also,my local Dodge dealer asked me to bring in current registration & photo ID before they would make duplicates....my question is: can only Dodge cut me new ignition keys?....or can they be done elsewhere?.....thanks, Scippy

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recently bought a used 2001 Ram 3500 came with only one Ignition key...Called local Dodge dealer
for price on (2) blank keys...Price $24.94 each....Don't know if price includes cutting them.
Went on E-bay and found (2) new Dodge blank ignition keys for $14.95....Also,my local Dodge dealer asked me to bring in current registration & photo ID before they would make duplicates....my question is: can only Dodge cut me new ignition keys?....or can they be done elsewhere?.....thanks, Scippy
01 should not be chipped, so any where can cut a new key.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You might have a sentry key in that unit it can be hard to tell. What color is the key that came with it? Do you see any markings on the key like a letter S. If it is a standard key it can be cut anywhere. If you have sentry then it will also need to be programmed. I had 02 Durango that had sentry maybe a 01 Ram didn’t I don’t know.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most decent sized locksmith businesses can do them, even if they are a chip key. We have 3 places here in town that can do it. They should be a lot cheaper then the dealership.

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
You might have a sentry key in that unit it can be hard to tell. What color is the key that came with it? Do you see any markings on the key like a letter S. If it is a standard key it can be cut anywhere. If you have sentry then it will also need to be programmed. I had 02 Durango that had sentry maybe a 01 Ram didn’t I don’t know.

No.....

Scrippy anyone can cut the keys.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
Thanks for all the responses!.......I'm going ahead with the e-bay purchase. There simple (no chip) blank keys that match.
I can understand the dealership concern for fraud (proof of registration, photo ID) in order to cut new ones, but there inflated
price is way to "high" to absorb......off to get my keys cut just about anywhere!

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the responses!.......I'm going ahead with the e-bay purchase. There simple (no chip) blank keys that match.
I can understand the dealership concern for fraud (proof of registration, photo ID) in order to cut new ones, but there inflated
price is way to "high" to absorb......off to get my keys cut just about anywhere!
If they are no chip keys, you can get them anywhere for $1.50. Why spend $15 for 2? I just had 2 made for my 02 ram and it was a total of $3.98.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
If they are no chip keys, you can get them anywhere for $1.50. Why spend $15 for 2? I just had 2 made for my 02 ram and it was a total of $3.98.

WOW!!......and when you think of the dealership price (no chip blanks per one for $24.99) it's Crazy!!.....just ordered 2 from e-bay for $12 reluctantly!

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
Went into Lowe's today and the man behind the counter cut 2 of my blanks for free.....how do you like that!