Ignition Key Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

philinkansas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,

I recently bought a new-to-me 2010 ram w/the 5.7 hemi. Recently it has been getting difficult to get the ignition to trigger the starter. The key turns easily and everything feels good, but sometimes I have to remove the key and reinsert it or turn it very hard to get it to start.

I looked in my Chilton manual to see how to replace the ignition, and it says not to attempt it because the key/codes need reset. Do I need to take this to the dealership? If so, how much does a new ignition usually cost? My truck is also an ST without keyless entry. Can I get this added while at the dealership?

I also thought about just adding a hidden push-button start. Maybe I can just put the key near the ignition to override the security and have a hidden button to press and start the engine. sort of like an aftermarket remote start. Is this possible? has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Phil

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
There is a recall for that ignition, a lot of them had issues with the keys falling out of the igntion while driving and also difficulty starting

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
P

philinkansas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks MoparMan! I just called dodge and they said my particular 2010 is not affected by this recall. Looks like I'm back to square one. I'll probably call the dealership and see how much it would cost to put in a new ignition.

Thanks,
Phil

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The newer trucks have a tipstart meaning when you turn the key, all you are doing is triggering a starting sequence. It allows you to release the key while the engine is cranking and it will crank until it starts or it deems to have cranked too long. Don't jerry rig a button that could potentially cause more electrical gremlins down the road. These trucks (I've had two of them now) are notorious for electrical gremlins and they are expensive to eliminate. No need to add fuel to that fire imho.

OP
OP
P

philinkansas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got off the phone with the local dealership. They thought that since I do not have keyless entry and I just have the basic black key, that I would not need anything reprogrammed. They also thought I may be able to just put in a new ignition switch and have a locksmith make sure it's keyed to my key. They did not have any kind of an estimate for me.

Does that sound right to you guys? Do the black keys not have any kind of security? Can I just put in a new ignition switch and have a locksmith key it for my keys?

Thanks,
Phil

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
That's very odd that you have a black key on a 2010.. Black keys are (were) non-RFID, Grey keys are RFID. I thought all trucks, regardless of the trim line had the Sentry Security system.

I have a Grey key with RFID like 05_2.jpg

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I just got off the phone with the local dealership. They thought that since I do not have keyless entry and I just have the basic black key, that I would not need anything reprogrammed. They also thought I may be able to just put in a new ignition switch and have a locksmith make sure it's keyed to my key. They did not have any kind of an estimate for me.

Does that sound right to you guys? Do the black keys not have any kind of security? Can I just put in a new ignition switch and have a locksmith key it for my keys?

Thanks,
Phil

The actual key part only works for the doors.

The fob is what starts. The fob WILL need to be programmed. No question on that.

This is what you should have on a ST

31TGq%2B-PlDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is a known issue with the ignition. It needs to be replaced and programmed. Take it to the dealer is the only way to get this done.

Cthulhu all the items you a referring to are 3rd gen stuff. This is a 4th gen issue.

OP
OP
P

philinkansas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Rock$tar. That is exactly what my key looks like. Any idea about how much the dealership will charge to change the ignition and reprogram the fobs?

Also, since turning the key really just sends an electrical signal to the computer/starter, maybe a simple fix is just a toggle or pushbutton? I know the aftermarker remote starters can work around this. I'm just looking at my options in case my dealership tells me it will be a $500-700 fix.

Thanks,
Phil

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Some lock smith places have a computer that can also program new keys.

Its a very simple job. Dealership should charge ~1-2 Hours labor plus price of parts.

From looking at the parts diagram, seems the part your looking for is 68066563AD and the price is around 150 USD. About 1 hour to replace that and then another hour to reprogram your keys for the new switch.

Thats what you would typically see, but its hard to say what your dealership will charge based on the response they already gave you towards this issue.

Its called a wireless ignition node. Its the piece in the dash that your key goes into.

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Just to let you know too, adding remote start using 82212424AB will also fix this issue as it replaces the ignition node, and gives you 2 new keys.

That kit is generally 250 dollars and another hour labour to install.

Just something to think about.

OP
OP
P

philinkansas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks rockstar! Exactly what i needed. You have been s huge help. I'll let you know how it turns out once i resolve everything.

Thanks,
Phil

Rock$tar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Ya let me know, hopefully it is that iginition node thats causing the problem!

Everytime i've seen the issue you have explained thats what the cause of the issue was.

Good luck!

PurpleHeartHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm having the opposite issue. I can't get my key fob all the way to off in my 13 express. It will only turn a hair towards the direction off. I have to just yank hard on the key fob from there to remove the key fob. Every time I take it to the dealership the problem doesn't occur lol. Anybody have any thoughts?

OP
OP
P

philinkansas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Rockstar. I just wanted to follow up and let you know it was the Wireless Ignition Node. Thanks for your help!!

jacksonlee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
From the factory they are one key for all locks. Ignition was probably replaced. Its easier to cut a key to your door locks then key your ignition to match that key.you must go to Davie locksmith with a walkin shop would be a lot cheaper taking it to em. Be easier than buying a lockset and replacing all 3 locks.

Ramsey1973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Help with 82212424AB

I have a 2010 ram1500 crew cab 4x4, has power locks and windows, cruise control and basic amenities. It does not have remote entry or remote start.
My win module went bad and after reading all over the place and finally here; I purchased a 82212424AB kit. I made an appt with a semi local dealer (45 minutes away) and after walking around for 3 hours twiddling my thumbs they called and said they can't program it to my truck? She said something about the door handle or lock button? She sounded confused! When I walked back and got my truck, it didn't even look like they installed anything, the antenna or the hood latch....
Any ideas? What I can tell them or any other hints, voodoo or magic?
Any help would be awesome as my WIN now is fkn dangerous, my truck keeps shutting off on me while driving...

Thank you

Deboro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
239 cu in (3.92 L) LA V6
All i can suggest to you Ramsey is to find a locksmith in your town that can program a car. As far as i know that kit actually fits well and i programmed similar one in newer 2015 model. You just need to find the right specs (you can do that even on internet)

Cheers,
Toronto locksmith

Ramit!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
JUST GOT MY TRUCK BACK FROM DEALER. i HAVE BEEN HAVING STARTING ISSUES WITH THE TIPSTART WHICH USES THE BLACK KEY WITH THE CHIP INSIDE. I HAVE HAD ABOUT FOUR NEW KEYS MADE OVER THE LAST FOUR YEARS BECAUSE OF THIS ISSUE. i HAVE HAD THE IGNITION SYSTEM SOFTWARE UPDATED. tHE LAST NEW KEy LASTED TWO WEEKS BEFORE IT WENT OUT AGAIN. i DROPPED OFF AT DEALER AND SAID KEEP IT till IT WAS FIXED. tHEY PROGRAMMED A NEY KEY AND AFTER DOING THE PROGRAMMING AND A FEW TRIAL STARTS THAT KEY WENT BAD ALSO.::flipthebird: tHEY HAD THE HEAD TECHNICIAN WORKING ON IT FOR TWO WEeKS, FINALLY THEY CAME TO CONCLUSION THE RFH INSTALLED AT FACTORY WAS MADE FOR THE KEYLESS FOB AND NOT THE KEY STYLE ONE. tHAT WHY IT KEEP SAYING WRONG FOB IN IGNITION. tHEY PUT IN THE THE RIGHT RFH AND NEW IGNITON MODULE AND PROGraMMED TWO NEW KEYS. SO FAR, SO GOOD,. I HOPE THIS HELPS Y'ALL WITH YOUR KEY ISSUES.