ignition trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ray hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 slant six
Hi i have a 1983 dodge w150. It has a slant sixwith the lean burn computor on the air breather. I am putting a 360 in it tht has the point ignition which i am not taking off. i was wondering if i culd just unplug the lean burn and put the ballast resistor on, hook up the coil wire and plug the alternator wires in and it all work like its supposed to? Or do i have to o something else? Also with the leanburn and distributor unoluged i still have power on my coil wire

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you can remove the lean burn ignition system all together and just run a 4 pin ignitions system. if the 360 has a point distributor you may want to upgrade it to a electronic ignition system distributor. should be more reliable.
2.jpg

OP
OP
ray hall

ray hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 slant six
Will my slant six harness work if i keep the lean burn and buy a lean burn distributor for the 360. I wuld imagine i wuld just have to lengthen the wires for the distributor and hook them up and everything will work just fine right?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i would ditch the lean burn ignition system. the only difference between a lean burn ignition system distributor and non lean burn distributor is that a non lean burn distributor has a vacuum advance connected to the distributor were a lean burn ignition systems does not. switching to 4 pin ignition system should allow you to remove lots of extra un-needed wires.

OP
OP
ray hall

ray hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 slant six
Well right now imjust trying to get it where it wuld b the easiest to make run. Cuz i have no idea wat tht four pin is or where to get it. So im tryi.g to figure a wy to do it without doing it tht way till i have more time t figure all tht out cuz honestly im not good with electrical but i can do mecanical so tht diagram dont really make much sense to me

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
4 pin ignition system just refers to how many pins there are on the ignition control module. there is also a 5 pin ignition system but the 4 pink ignition system is simpler. you can get a ignition harness at summit for like $20. ignition module and ballast resister are about $60. if you got the 360 you should take the distributor cap off and take a picture and post it here. we can tell you if you have an electronic ignition distributor or a points distributor. you might be able to get some of these parts cheaper locally but i figure it might help if i post links to show you what you will need.
harness
http://www.summitracing.com/dom/parts/dcc-3690152/overview/
ignition module
http://www.summitracing.com/dom/parts/dcc-4120505/overview/
ballast resister
http://www.summitracing.com/dom/parts/dcc-2444641/overview/

they also sell a kit that comes with a distributor but it is $226 plus shipping and i know you could get a distributor from a local parts store for less than $50 and with parts about you should be under $150
http://www.summitracing.com/dom/parts/dcc-3690426/overview/

OP
OP
ray hall

ray hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 slant six
Ok thnk u tht helps. Ik already tht it has a point distributor ive pulled the cap and its got points. And a single wire going to the distributor. And its the single point distributor not the dual point. I have had a guy i work with tell me he had a 79 lebarron tht had the lean burn. He said he,left the computor hooked up and ook the electronic distributor off and put the poit distributor on and put the resistor in it and it worked great. Is tht possible to do?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you would not need a ballast resistor with lean burn system. the lean burn system might work with a points distributor but i would not waste my time with a points distributor or the lean burn system. points are not very reliable.

OP
OP
ray hall

ray hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
225 slant six
Well i decided to go with the four pin. One of my friends said he did it on an 81 so he said he will hook it up fir me wen i get the parts . Thank u for all ur help. I hope it will b a pulling machine wen its dun since it will b a 360 with a granny four speed.