Increase towing

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by dannetb, Mar 28, 2016.

1. dannetb

dannetb Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I was wondering if there was any way to boost the towing capacity on my truck. It's an 01 ram 1500 sport. 5.2 with the 4x4 off-road package. I have a 40 ft snowmobile trailer that I would like to be able to tow that weighs around 8000. Anything I can do such as new rear springs or suspension upgrades or different gearing?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

2. dudeman2009

dudeman2009 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
    Engine:
    Magnum 360
    8000lbs is pushing it on stock gears. If the tongue weight of the trailer is above 500-600lbs, which i'm guessing it is, you are going to want to beef up the rear suspension. Forget helper springs unless you dont mind it sagging 4-6 inches while loaded. I would go with an add a leaf kit or replace the rear leafs all together with a pack that has an additional leaf. Might as well do the shocks too, they aren't that expensive for what you're looking at.

I cant remember what the stock gears are, either 3.55 or 3.73 however jumping to the next ratio will give put a bit more torque to the wheels, however your gas mileage will slightly decrease (about 1mpg) and your rpms at a given speed will also increase, as well as your speedometer saying that you're going faster than you actually are.

A lot depends on the tires you are running, the larger the tire, the worse it tows, to an extent.

As for the other things you can do, check for the deathflash. There will be a sticker on the PCM on the passenger side firewall that says something like "factory authorized update". There are guides to fix that problem under the plenum gasket thread in the Engines section.

Only other things I can think of are a nice set of brake pads and a tongue at the right angle.

3. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1998 Ram 1500
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    If you tow it often, get a 3/4 ton with a......*shudders* diesel.

dannetb and BBartow like this.
  4. dannetb

dannetb Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

I hav 4:11 gearing because it's the off-road package

5. dudeman2009

dudeman2009 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
    Engine:
    Magnum 360
    Then your good on that side. I'd just beef up the rear suspension.

dannetb likes this.
  6. dapepper9

dapepper9 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L V8
    I'm with dd94 in saying get a 2500 if you're going to tow it often. Your truck can handle it yeah but you also gotta take into account braking ability too. Considering the highest any 1500 was rated for was about 1000lbs less than what you have i wouldn't recommend it. Something happens and authorities find out you were over capacity you're FUCKED with a lube-free cactus

dodge dude94, Cleave and Statcher1 like this.
  7. cyclepuck

cyclepuck Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 2500 Mega
    Engine:
    +1^

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

8. dannetb

dannetb Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

I have electric trailer brakes so I don't really have that issue and its towed currently by a 1500 Tahoe so I feel confident my truck can do it with some minor changes. I'm also de badged so there is no way to know its a 1500 from the outside

9. Padilen

Padilen Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7

Unless you commit fraud on your insurance and registration de badging isn't going to save you from tickets - law suits if your over weight and pulled over or involved in an accident.
    And heavier springs won't either.
    Forget money in fines and lawsuits how would you feel if you lost a loved one because someone else was confident that (insert what ever, no safety chains, over loaded, no brakes, load range P or D instead of E, fancy rims not rated for loads, no tow mirrors etc) was good enough.
    Rhetorical because people do what ever they want, causing loss, which leads to more rules and regulations.

dodge dude94 likes this.
  10. dannetb

dannetb Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

The truck is rated for about 7500 the trailer weights between 7500-8000 I'm not really towing that much over the rated weight. I'm towing at the limit. I just want to make it so my truck will be able to do it without struggling