Infinity head spitting CDs out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So my stock head is spitting my CDs back at me and saying "Err" when it does it. Doesn't even sound like it's trying to spin up even. The owners manual says that "Err" can indicate that, among other things, there could be moisture on the optic.....problem is, I shot canned air in there to blow anything off and nothing changed. Still isn't spinning up.

Last time this happened, I threatened it that I was going to put it in the 76.....I guess it realized I was kidding. :(

If anything has any tips that would be great.

bbeljefe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The CD player should have at least one belt inside it that drives the turntable and with a unit that old, it's very possible that the belt has either stretched or broken. Either way, that would cause the turntable not to spin or, not to spin fast enough and that would generate an error since the optical head cannot read the disc.

There are a few companies that do competent factory head unit repair but for about the same money you can replace that head unit with an aftermarket one and gain some modern features.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, it's not spinning that I can hear. Tried it again yesterday, still didn't work. Guess I'll have to deal with it til I get a job and have the cash to drop on it. :(

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
It's ***** and not worth fixing. Up here the Infinity units are very expensive to get fixed.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, I established that when I looked on eBay for a new one.....people want in excess of $120 for a 13 year old head. :jawdrop: