Infinity Sound Adaption - INFO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Being that I never found a definitive write-up for the wiring on an Infinity-equipped truck, I've decided to make my own from my experiences today.

This applies to most, if not all 98+ Ram trucks.

On most aftermarket radios and wiring adapter harnesses, they will tell you that the wire for the Infinity door amps is the BLUE w/ WHITE striped wire. That is true in the case of the radio side.
However, the adapter harnesses are wrong (at least in my case). When you hook up the BL/WH wires together on the radio and the adapter harness, it will go no where.

What you have to do is hook your BL/WH wire off your radio into the wire marked on the adapter harness labeled "POWER ANTENNA", which will go from a DARK BLUE wire on the adapter side, that wire goes to a bright GREEN wire on the TRUCK side. That bright green wire is the energizing wire for the Infinity sound.

If you're pulling out a factory radio, you'll find a ground slid onto the back of the radio case.
What I ended up doing was taking the ground wire from the new radio harness and spliced it to the factory ground wire and did not end up using the ground wire supplied with the wiring adapter, REASON BEING the ground wires on the wiring adapter went NO WHERE. That's not a ground at all. The factory ground, grounds somewhere on the dash.

I would like to thank Mark (Merc225hp) and Black Cody (Blackmagnum2000) for helping me out on this today. If it weren't for those guys I'd probably still be pulling my hair out right now.

If necessary, I can provide pictures to anyone needing visual aids.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad you posted this for those who have never done it before.

The only reason I knew what I was doing when I did my stereo was because of my 99 Jeep was setup the same way. I spent hours trying to figure out why in the hell I couldn't get any sound from anything, after quite a few fuses and connecting crap together I finally figured it out. I wasn't surprised when I pulled the factory stereo out of my Ram that it was setup the same.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah I spent a good two hours trying to figure out which wire it was that was causing the amps to not energize. lol Mark was at work so I ended up calling Cody and he pulled his dash apart for me. haha

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
On most aftermarket radios and wiring adapter harnesses, they will tell you that the wire for the Infinity door amps is the BLUE w/ WHITE striped wire. That is true in the case of the radio side.
that is not true. usually the wire going to the stereo is blue. plus the harnesses you bought was pretty idiot proof if you looked up the wiring diagram online that you should have around when wiring a stereo
radio.jpg

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
that is not true. usually the wire going to the stereo is blue. plus the harnesses you bought was pretty idiot proof if you looked up the wiring diagram online that you should have around when wiring a stereo
radio.jpg

Yeah, mine didn't have a diagram that said that. And upon looking, I'm not the only one that has had this problem.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
well any time i ever install a stereo i go to the installdr for the diagram if i don't have a copy on me. so far they have never lead me wrong.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, mine didn't have a diagram that said that. And upon looking, I'm not the only one that has had this problem.

Neither did mine. On both my Ram and my Jeep. And majority of all the stereo install kits I've seen never match up to the vehicles factory wiring color, just the aftermarket stereo's wiring. I think from what I read the power antenna on the aftermarket stereo just sends 12v, which is why it's used to power the amps for the infinity system if I remember right. It's been so long since I had to look it up for my jeep, with my truck when the speakers didn't work I immediately knew what was wrong just from the previous experience, but I think that's why it needs to be hooked up. Of course, I could be wrong, but meh. Regardless of why it works though, at least this thread is here for the many others who might come across this problem with their stereos.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
well any time i ever install a stereo i go to the installdr for the diagram if i don't have a copy on me. so far they have never lead me wrong.
Well that's nice. If you weren't a know-it-all-**** 75% of the time I'd have asked you for help, but being you don't have a 2g I didn't figure you'd even have a clue.
Neither did mine. On both my Ram and my Jeep. And majority of all the stereo install kits I've seen never match up to the vehicles factory wiring color, just the aftermarket stereo's wiring. I think from what I read the power antenna on the aftermarket stereo just sends 12v, which is why it's used to power the amps for the infinity system if I remember right. It's been so long since I had to look it up for my jeep, with my truck when the speakers didn't work I immediately knew what was wrong just from the previous experience, but I think that's why it needs to be hooked up. Of course, I could be wrong, but meh. Regardless of why it works though, at least this thread is here for the many others who might come across this problem with their stereos.

And this is what I found in my research until I finally ran across a Dakota forum thread from 2004 and subsequently called my friend.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Neither did mine. On both my Ram and my Jeep. And majority of all the stereo install kits I've seen never match up to the vehicles factory wiring color, just the aftermarket stereo's wiring. .
that is the way it is suppose to be. you hook all the same colored wires up to the new stereo harness and then just plug it into the old harness

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
that is the way it is suppose to be. you hook all the same colored wires up to the new stereo harness and then just plug it into the old harness

You only miss the fact that the install harnesses clearly say that they may or may not match up with the factory wiring based on color. They only guarantee matching up with the aftermarket radio and even then it's not 100%

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Well that's nice. If you weren't a know-it-all-**** 75% of the time I'd have asked you for help, but being you don't have a 2g I didn't figure you'd even have a clue.
when it comes to electrical i am good. 2nd gens use the same stereo connector as first gens so it is all the same. i have been working with stock and aftermarket stereo's long i should be able to figure thins out. i did have one on my GT snow racer that i built in highschool

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
You only miss the fact that the install harnesses clearly say that they may or may not match up with the factory wiring based on color. They only guarantee matching up with the aftermarket radio and even then it's not 100%
they never match up with the stock harness. they only match up with aftermarket ones since that is the only way to keep hooking up an aftermarket stereo simple

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
when it comes to electrical i am good. 2nd gens use the same stereo connector as first gens so it is all the same. i have been working with stock and aftermarket stereo's long i should be able to figure thins out. i did have one on my GT snow racer that i built in highschool
Yeah but how many Infinity systems have you adapted to?
they never match up with the stock harness. they only match up with aftermarket ones since that is the only way to keep hooking up an aftermarket stereo simple

Well no ****. That's my point. The way you were talking, they all match. lmao

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Yeah but how many Infinity systems have you adapted to?

Well no ****. That's my point. The way you were talking, they all match. lmao
i don't know. all aftermarket stereo's have worked properly for me after hooking them up so i didn't need to worry about them having an infinity system or not. just hook up all wires whether they are needed or not.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
i don't know. all aftermarket stereo's have worked properly for me after hooking them up so i didn't need to worry about them having an infinity system or not. just hook up all wires whether they are needed or not.

And when working on a factory Infinity system, if you hook the wires up according to what the harness says, it GOES NO WHERE and the install kits that MOST people will get will direct them the same way.

That is why I did this write up. End of story.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ran into the issue when I installed my dual radio a few years ago and I accidentally brushed the green wire against the remote and it energized the system. I got lucky but it's good this info is here now, way to go DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Wow a good thread..................... gone to ****, thanks crazzy. Well done William!

RobbieB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gas 5.9 V8
Does this work the same for the pre 98 models? I'm dealing with the same crap with my stereo.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I believe so. Mark (Merc225hp) and I had talked while I was installing this and he said his was the same way.