Installed Kleinn custom 2500/3500 train horns on long box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hadlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
So I have a 2016 Ram 3500 long bed that I love a lot. Only thing I don't like are the weenie horns. Embarrassing and ineffectual and definitely not in keeping with the boldness of the truck. We have hauled our 5th wheel to Alaska and across the country with it. Only mod from factory was to add Titan 55 gal fuel tank to give us more legs towing thru some of the remote areas of Alcan and Alaska. I wanted air horns on the truck but couldn't find anyway to mount them. Then I read on the Kleinn Air Horn site that they were developing a custom kit for the Ram 2500/3500 and were looking for testers. I volunteered but then found out that the kit was only for short bed trucks. Read the directions and talked Kleinn into letting me be a tester to see what would be involved in adapting the kit to a long bed.

The kit was big and everything in it was top quality. But the thing that really made the difference was that they had thought about how to use holes in the frame to locate the hardware. This is a huge advantage and for a short bed truck it is a no brainer. Surprisingly, the mods to make the kit fit a long bed are really very easy to do. A little filing and drilling two holes on the bracket for the short horn and two holes thru the frame for the compressor. The mounting brackets were heavy duty, precise and powder coated. I wouldn't have tried to do an install if I had to fabricate all the parts. All in all, four brackets hold the 1) large and medium horns, 2)short horn, 3)3 gallon air tank, and 4) air compressor. Takes up outside of frame from front to rear doors. Out of site and nicely protected.

I chose to wire the horn so both the oem horn and the Kleinn horn could be activated by the steering wheel. My Ram came equipped with the five aux switches which made all of this easy. Switch five runes the air compressor and switch four alternates between the oem horn and the Kleinn horns.

The difference is night and day and more than I could have ever expected. I guess I've wanted a really big sounding air horn for years and now I have one. It not only is loud but it is beautiful to hear (even my wife says its "awesome"). Even the seat vibrates when the horn blows.

The kit is complicated but the instructions are great and you just have to take it one step at a time. The brackets make mounting the hardware a simple task. I can't figure out how to post pictures here but you can contact me and I'll send some. You can also see my YouTube video "Installing Kleinn Custom Ram 2500/3500 Train Horns."