Installing behind the grille lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Found this on the interwebs, install could be cleaner looking but that is up to you.

1. This is what i started with...wring harness lights, some connectors and switch!

2. Next i drilled the holes for the mounting of the lights...they were 3.5" in from each brace on either side of the bar in front of the rads, i used a 3/8 drill bit and slight chainsaw file to open it up a little more and they slid right in!

3. After they were all bolted in i need to found a ground, some round connectors that didn't come with the kit were used, the inside bolt on either side of the mounting bar worked perfectly

4. The easy part was is now done, next was to wire up the harness and mount the relay

5. Mounted the relay to the right hand side, upper bolt of brake master cylinder
[/QUOTE]
6. I ran the power for the relay (red wire) to the same tap off the fuse block, it follows my amp power wire! the blue relay ground is run straight to the negative terminal on the battery!

7. The yellow relay switch wire is run through the firewall at the same spot my amp power wire is, the second pic shows it on the other side, 2 buts remove the plate to make it easy to drill a hole through!

8. So now the last wire coming from the relay should be black, the rest should be connected, an yellow should be in the cab. the black is then run in behind the battery to the front, and down the driver side pillar beside the headlight mounting. then i cut to length the wire and crimped it together and taped up all the wires to give it a nice clean look!

9. Next i decided where i would want my switch to be, under the headlight cluster is where i wanted it, on the dash piece right above my e brake release, so i ran the ground wire(blue) relay switch wire(yellow) and the 12v power wire (green) to this spot, a handy hole was already there, drilled out the dash piece and sanded and filed to get the switch to a very snug fit!

10. to the side i connected the ground wire to part of the metal behind the dash, there are many bolts contacting metal so any of them would do, but the ground wire in the kit is pretty short so this one work fine, its sort of hidden but is the top bolt

11.My original plan was to have the switch 12V power to run off a wire with only ignition power, then i realized i didn't want to hack any wires up under my dash so i ran it directly to the battery positive, and through the fire wall at the same spot as the yellow!

12. Next was to connect the three wires to the switch, which is labeled 1, 2 an 3, 3 being the blue ground wire, 2 is the yellow relay switch, and 1 is the green power wire! put the dash back together and she was done!

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
do we have room on our 2nd gens for these lights? ive never really checked lol and i noticed that this truck is a 3rd gen..

OP
OP
wermbang

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Yeah I just posted the DIY for it. I think if the lights are small enough we have room