Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I believe he said he has the ra4

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

70chall440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Finally I am done, everything hooked up, everything put back together and the best thing; IT WORKS!!!

I am posting some pictures of my radio connections in case anyone else does this. Cutting and soldering the new harness wires to the existing was the best and easiest solution. I left enough in the harness of the old wires in case I ever want to add the cargo light.

My deepest thanks to those who posted pictures, gave advice and in any way supported me on this. I am not new to cars and especially Mopars, however it is great to have this resource. Probably the best piece of advice I was given was "take your time and be patient". Since I have a fleet of vehicles, this one could sit for an extended period without issue. If this was my only vehicle, it would have been interesting to say the least.

In conclusion I would offer the following tips to anyone thinking about doing this;

1. take your time, make sure you don't need the vehicle right away as once you start, it might be apart for a while depending on your skill level.

2. make sure you have the tools available to do the job on hand. You don't need anything special but then again I never did figure out how to depopulate the pins correctly. Things you will need; Torx drivers, 7mm socket, 7mm wrench, Philips Screwdriver, razor blade or Exacto knife, electrical tape, soldering gun, solder, flux (if you use it), heat gun for heat shrink, side cutters, wire stripper, small screw driver/pick, pliers.

3. Don't force anything. I was amazed at how everything came apart fairly easily and went back together just as easily.

4. work methodically; one step at a time. Think it through and make sure you understand the task at hand. You can finish most steps before moving on to the next.

5. remove interior panels like the knee bolster and the small panel directly below the light switch (allows you to see the BCM).

6. refer to this forum prior to and during your effort. I would say that almost everything you need is here (assuming you are doing exactly the same thing). Understand that your vehicle might be slightly different depending on the options and equipment and the supplied instructions leave a lot unstated.

Thanks again for all the help. I will subscribe to this thread and check back from time to tome to assist anyone else.

Attachments

• Radio-05.jpg
    Radio-05.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 341
  • Radio-06.jpg
    Radio-06.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 331
  • Radio-07.jpg
    Radio-07.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 336

MSgt0313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the dealer flash the XAC code, I installed the Mopar backup camera kit and nothing works. I followed the instructions and referred to this forum. I have upgraded from a 3.0 to 5.0 radio. Any ideas? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

nickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you say nothing works do you mean radio doesn't work either? If the radio won't come on you may have depopulated needed wires on connector to radio that power up everything. When reading instructions with camera kit it can be confusing where the 3 wires terminate on radio connector. When looking at connector from the rear the 3 pins go on bottom left. Some people have depopulated the top left 3 pins and installed camera pins there which is wrong. If the radio works and the pins are correct then it could be a loose termination at the pdc. Check all connections.

MSgt0313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 5.0 radio is working fine, even the blue tooth and the compass works. I have an Express so the radio connector slots were empty and I inserted the three pins as per the instructions. I have checked and rechecked all the connections from the tailgate forward. I have verified the diagram and I am confident I have spliced into the correct PK/YL wire at the PDC.

I had the dealer flash the XAC sales code a few weeks ago when I had other sales codes added for the overhead console home link, compass and towing mirrors. Is it possible they did not complete the validation process since I did not have the camera installed?

I will check the fuses and the wiring again at the PDC, however I am at a loss at this point on where to look next.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Are you getting a blue screen when you put in reverse? If so then something in the wiring is off. If nothing appears then still check the wiring but have the dealer check that the sales code stuck. I had the dealer add the sales code for fogs and after I installed everything nothing worked. Went back and it took them a few tries to get it to stay. Don't know why.

MSgt0313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not getting anything, including a blue screen. Nothing is showing up in the EVIC either regarding the settings for the camera. So I am hoping it is a code flash issue.

Investigation continues.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Sounds like it

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The settings for the camera will not show up in the evic, they will show up on the radio under safety

NavyGuy2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
So I'm installing the OEM kit on my '13 SLT Outdoorsman and I ran into an issue that is confusing me. I mounted the camera, ran the tailgate wires, ran the body harness all the way to the fire wall. Spliced the wire to the PDC. Now i'm at the part in the instructions where it tells you to route the harness through the body grommet, which wires am I running trough it? I cant find any pics that really explain that part, what all am I going to add to the connectors in the engine bay versus the drivers kick panel?? Sorry if thats too n00bish but I'l really stumped here.

nickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Two wires should have been separated. One to pdc and the other to a ground. Remaining go through firewall. It's personal preference whether to go through the rubber boot for main wiring into cab or to drill a hole through the cover plate for clutch to the left. I went through the cover plate and caulked around it. After you are on other side of firewall the purple wire goes to C5 connector on port E of BCM. The rest terminate to provided connector.

Attachments

• ypejany4.jpg
    ypejany4.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 247

NavyGuy2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Thanks for the tips! I thought about going through that plate but I was able to fenangle it though the grommet. The instructions suck, but I got it all hooked up, off to the stealership to activate it.

MSgt0313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the backup camera kit and I took my truck to have the XAC code flashed again, the dealer tells me it will not work because my truck originally came with the RA1 radio. I upgraded to a RA2 radio along with the steering wheel controls and overhead console with the home-link/compass.

They tell me the truck does not recognize the RA2, therefore the backup camera will not work. Has anyone dealt with this?

On another note, they said the RA4 option was available but not the RA2. I recently bought a RA4 from ebay, however I am concerned the camera still will not work if I upgrade to the RA4. Any thoughts?

BADUBET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 ram 1500 reg cab shotbed. I have the 5" radio with Bluetooth. The truck is the basic express Blacktop edition. It has the electric tailgate lock. If I look underneath by the spare and my truck is wired for the camera up to the tailgate(where I would need only to change the parts in the tailgate) how many wires should I see by the spare going up to the tailgate? Thanks in advance

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
I installed the backup camera kit and I took my truck to have the XAC code flashed again, the dealer tells me it will not work because my truck originally came with the RA1 radio. I upgraded to a RA2 radio along with the steering wheel controls and overhead console with the home-link/compass.

They tell me the truck does not recognize the RA2, therefore the backup camera will not work. Has anyone dealt with this?

On another note, they said the RA4 option was available but not the RA2. I recently bought a RA4 from ebay, however I am concerned the camera still will not work if I upgrade to the RA4. Any thoughts?

I got them to put the code in when I still had my RA1 in. Didnt give me any trouble at all.

madrussian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm hoping one of you guys can help me out. I bought the OEM kit from Tascaparts.

I've run the wiring harness from the back to the front and under my dash.

The question I have is what do I plug the connector(which you insert the loose wires/pins into) they furnished into?

What do I plug the other end/connector of the 3 radio wires into?

Are these 2 supposed to plug into each other? Because if so, I have a problem as the empty spare one is rounded corners and the radio one has square corners.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my last hang up to get this all working.

That and if anybody has some miraculous advice on how to remove the pins/2 wires in the rear for the tailgate, I'm all ears.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
I'm hoping one of you guys can help me out. I bought the OEM kit from Tascaparts.

I've run the wiring harness from the back to the front and under my dash.

The question I have is what do I plug the connector(which you insert the loose wires/pins into) they furnished into?

What do I plug the other end/connector of the 3 radio wires into?

Are these 2 supposed to plug into each other? Because if so, I have a problem as the empty spare one is rounded corners and the radio one has square corners.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my last hang up to get this all working.

That and if anybody has some miraculous advice on how to remove the pins/2 wires in the rear for the tailgate, I'm all ears.

You run the main harness after you ground it and attach for power in the fuse box through either the clutch plate or nipple. You run 1 wire to The BCM so the lines move, and the other 3 cables that have crimped connectors go into the plug they give you. I just zip tied it under the driver footwell. You run the other short harness from the connector to the back of the radio, where there are 3 pins you insert into the main connector for the radio. For the tailgate pins I used a small screwdriver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krb686

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I'm surprised, I had no idea it was this difficult. I guess I read somewhere that some of the trucks come with the wiring already in place and all you have to do is connect to the harness already present in the tailgate. Is that still true in some cases? And how would you find out if your truck already had the wiring?

The biggest thing for me that seems difficult is taking the wiring all the way from back to front