Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I should be doing this this weekend ! If my OEM Kit shows up !
Thanks for this post and thank you to all individuals who chimed in with good ideas !
Dodge Ram Forum ( no Z ) ROCKS !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Installing it right now !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the post. I'm getting ready to do this and wondered about "depopulating".
Just disassembled the plug and walla , got the pins out with a jewelers flat tip.! Thanks !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone have a picture of the BCM ? 2014 1500 QC 4X4.

These istructions are pretty good but leaves some things to be determined by the installer ...
Is the BCM The white box with lots of conectors plugged into it ? upper left area above drivers footwell ...
Thanks !

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah. Up above the parking brake. Like 6 connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's what I thought , but according to the instructions : I'm supposed to insert the purple wire from body harness in socket #45 of the BCM s C5 connector , according to the print this is a 48 socket connector , my problem is I don't see any connectors on the BCM that is a 48 socket connector , I can see A,B,C,D, and so on on the white box that I think is the BCM; however , the ( C ) only has 6 sockets ? I must be looking at the wrong thing ...
Does anyone have a photo of the BCM s C5 connector ?

Sorry everyone , reviewed the post again and post #20 gave a picture of the C5 connector , only problem is I don't remember seeing this earlier today and I didn't see an amp either? Maybe I don't have the amp.
I'll be finishing this tomorrow night thanks to all !

Last edited:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
C5 just means connector 5. It is the one that is labeled E. I don't know why but they always do that.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lol , probably called C5 on a schematic drawing idk , I just wish it instructions wer a bit more clear with the photos .. thanks Jwheeler !

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, on a wiring diagram it is c5. I don't understand the e though. No problem. I have done a few of those kits

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For what it's worth I think this kit is a pretty simple install ( well I have struggled to find the C5 connector LOL )
For anyone considering this install as long as your flexible , can solder a few wires and be patient disassembling a couple connectors you can do this . I'd say it's a 4 on a 1 - 10 dificulty..

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is a fair assessment. It is not too bad. How long has it taken to do?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I worked on it for a total.of 5 hours so far , but to make things a bit easier I dropped the spare tire and removed my left front tire and removed the black front left wheel well / engine bay plastic closeout protector , also removed the knee bolster under the steering wheel and then struggled locating the C5 connector @ BCM , I then secured the body harness ends above the drivers footwell and reinstalled everything previously removed so I could drive truck to work tomorrow . With that said if I was to do this kit a 2nd time I believe I'd be completely done in less than 5 hours .

mefferz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just finished up installation of my kit yesterday. The the slot I needed on the "C5" connector was populated so I had to splice in the purple wire to the existing wire. It's pretty tight up there so I just opted for splicing with a butt connector with 2 ends in one side and 1 in the other instead of trying to get a soldering iron into that hot mess. The wires are small enough to twist them together and still fit in a red butt connector.

kb5zqd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Done

Thanks to all who posted I just completed this. Took awhile due to not holding my mouth right depopulating pins.
But thanks to all again
kb5zqd

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
C5 just means connector 5. It is the one that is labeled E. I don't know why but they always do that.

124af76a9942da5de6bf3f3d9faf4ecb.jpg

de56c181c6f1f968cc0cf3da00f09a07.jpg

Found it ! Thanks buddy , it is the plug labeled " E " I removed some tape on the harness and was able to get it far enogh down to easily work with it . Next step is the 3 wires @ the Radio the diagram on the instructions is completely WRONG ! sockets 31,32,33 are the lower right not the upper right looking @ the face of the connector, you can verify this by looking @ the radio side ( RA2 5.0) My radio had pin #31 marked clearly bottom left corner which means bottom right corner of the FACE of the connector . Hope this helps someone ...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great info in this thread!

I'm in the middle of installing one of the backup camera with rearview camera moinitors into my 2014 Ram 1500. (base base model truck with air only and 8 speed transmission)

I have installed the following..

1-Installed mirror with wiring to under console by steering wheel.
2-Installed camera on tail gate(do not have electric lock)
3-Installed wiring front to back and through firewall.
4-Installed + and - wire to under PWC in engine compartment

Last step is installing the two wires to the BCM,

A couple of Questions....

1- Are both wires required to trigger the backup camera to work or is one of them for the electric lock at the rear? If so which one is which?

2- Is the wire that comes from the BCM a positive feed with 12V's...The reason I ask this is...I would like to install a three way switch that I can throw to turn on the back up camera when I am not backing up. If I am towing something. I would install a 12v lead directly from a switched source and have it that I can run it like regular with the backup coming on when it's in reverse and then a three way switch in case I wanted to over ride the power and have it running all the time. (making sure that I don't back feed the wire with the proper switch)

Thanks for any input.
So butcher , did.you ever figure out a way to install a switch to turn on the back up camera at anytime ? , I just finished my install tonight and off to the dealer to have XAC Flashed & validated tomorrow .

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
... Next step is the 3 wires @ the Radio the diagram on the instructions is completely WRONG ! sockets 31,32,33 are the lower right not the upper right looking @ the face of the connector, you can verify this by looking @ the radio side ( RA2 5.0) My radio had pin #31 marked clearly bottom left corner which means bottom right corner of the FACE of the connector . Hope this helps someone ...
Note: post 26 has an edited image of the radio connector to clear things up.
See also post 90
for other post # references ( I need to fix the links again). Edit: done.
And for those that make it to the back of the radio connector, I rotated the image from the directions and hopefully will have a picture to add from 70chall440.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got the XAC Flashed @ the dealer today took less than 15 mins from the time I walked in the door and drove away !

I was stoked about having the back up camera , I didn't notice I had no lines , I believe the lines derive from the purple wire spliced into the Orange / Dark BLUE wire from cavity 45 in C5 on the BCM ?

@ Mpgrimm2 thanks for your help sir with the post ! I actually did reference your post 90 &26 BIG HELP ! I posted the radio plug thing only to mention it again in the thread so people would be less likely to have an issue there .

I believe it was a post of yours as well on the back up lines being derived from the BCM spliced in wire . A question for you sir : do all the the radios have the lines ? I have the RA2 , I did splice the orange / dark Blue wire @ cavity 45 on the BCMs C5 connector with the purple wire from the OEM Kit harness . If all the radios have the lines feature, the I need to revisit my splice and maybe verify the body harness plug I populated ...

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Yep, i have the Ra2 as well and all the Ram radios (Ra2, 3, & 4) since 2013 have the lines so far. I believe Jeepguy1980 (rip) is the one who told us about the lines generated by the camera from the Lin Bus CBC 3 signal at pin 45. The radios/mirror just display what is sent to it by the camera's 3 video wires. See schematic link in post 90.

*my wife's 2015 dart has the 8.4 with parkview and apparently all the darts don't have the moving lines like our Rams do (no signal to the camera for it either). Lucky us!

Last edited: