Intakes and Exhausts

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Power Wagon' started by LTC5, Jul 16, 2017.

1. LTC5

LTC5 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    I recently purchased a new '17 PW. I am a little disappointed with the factory exhaust. Looking to get a new intake and exhaust. I don't like any droning at highway speeds.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone try the aFe intake and their Mach Force-XP exhaust?

Thanks in advance for the help

2. Casper

Casper Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L
    I'm not a fan of open top intakes like aFe, or K&N. You don't get cold air, you get engine bay air and they give off a lot of throttle noise under load.

I have the S&B enclosed CAI that uses the factory external cold air access through the right fender.
    Vararam is also highly regarded by RF members that have one.
    I've also heard praise for Volant.

As far as exhaust, you don't need to go big time Cat-back.

The factory piping is stainless and its the right diameter unless you're adding serious boost. The factory muffler is large, chambered and way too quiet. It is however bolted on, and every replacement is going to be shorter than that pig. You can buy pre-made direct bolt on replacements with the same quality stainless piping by Mufflex (using a 14, 18, or 24" Maganflow) and Flowmaster now has a bolt on kit too.

I have the Mufflex 24" inserted into the factory system (resonators still in place) and the 5" Chrome tips which give it almost a side pipes sound.
    I recommend Moe's Performance, an RF Preferred Vendor-----link-->

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Deviousin10tions and fsh167 like this.
  3. MADDOG

MADDOG Super Moderator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    I vote for the S&B intake but the exhaust....well, if you swap out to a system with no resonators it's gonna drone.

What I'd do is replace the muffler with your preferred brand (I like Magnaflow) but leave the resos on and see how you like it.

4. jlilnc14

jlilnc14 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    6.4l
    I just ordered Black Widow Race muffler. I'll let you know how it sounds after. There's 2 clips on youtube of the black widow on 2017 power wagon. Sounds good. I'm going to leave the resonator on.

NickPic83 likes this.
  5. Casper

Casper Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L
    Definitely keep the resonators until you know what the muffler does.
    Funny thing is some of the mufflers out there are smaller than the resonators...! :crazy:

6. sticknstring

sticknstring Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hey to add on to your thread, I have a new tradesman with the 5.7. Single exhaust. Just looking for a muffler to give me a little more sound, not loud and annoying just better than stock. Not too expensive.
    Do you guys have any suggestion?
    I have a welder to put it in myself and all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. NickPic83

NickPic83 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 HEMI
    looks like everyone covered the bases for exhaust. the stock piping is fine its the restrictive muffler that needs to go. mufflex is a great inexpensive option. I have it on my truck and im happy with it. I actually used the delete pipe kit and cut in a black widow race venom in it. sounds great but is a little quiet for me. thinking of either cutting out the resonator or taking the muffler out.

as far as CAI there are many options and most will do about the same performance wise. as far as actually pulling in hot or ambient air I did some testing on this. there is truth to both sides of that argument. while the truck is sitting still it will pull in hot engine bay air when you first accelerate. once the vehicle starts moving ambient outside air will make its way into the engine bay and you will pull in the outside (cooler) air.

[email protected] likes this.
  8. MarshRam

MarshRam Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 SLT 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I still had light drone when mds kicked in with my resonator still on after intake and exhaust swap. You might need to prepare to be able to turn off mds.

9. Witch

Witch Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7 liter
    I went with a Volant unit,

Looks nice and has the 100,000 mile filter , also offers a scoop option although you have to buy it separate for like $ 100.00 bucks

I had a singel out the side but went with 14" magnaflow with custom stainless dual out the sides, sounds really good and only cost me $ 350.00 and everything is welded so don';t have to worry about leaks :)

Attached Files:

MarshRam likes this.
  10. JJAGGY

JJAGGY Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 hEMI
    Don't use Mufflex!!!

I have a 2016 Power Wagon and I recently purchased a mufflex kit with the magnaflow muffler. The kit seems nice but it leaks like a bitx$! I have an exhaust leak at both connections. I called Mufflex and they told me that I didn't follow the instructions. Anyway on the inlet connection I torqued the clamp down using my 700ft lb impact and it still leaks. I tightened the outlet as well which uses the stock clamp from the tail pipe. Even after multiple adjustments and tightening it down to the point I normally would not recommend, the thing still leaks! So I have a nice newer truck with 15k on it that now has an exhaust leak in two spots. Please do yourself a favor and buy either a real cat back system or go to a local shop and have them weld in an aftermarket muffler.

Chrisy likes this.