Interesting question/dilemma for my slammed brethren.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As most of you know, my truck is sitting at 5/7 drop right now. I'm pretty happy with the amount of drop in the front and I was happy with the rear......

Was......

When I pulled the factory rear bumper and hitch off, the truck raised up quite a bit. I didn't measure it before/after but it went up at least an inch so the truck is back to being raked again. To add to this, I have helper bags and the truck rides best with 30-40psi in them, but that raises the back up even further, so I've been running the minimum 5psi in them.

So I want the truck to ride level with 30psi in the bags, which will require me to lower the rear an additional 2"-3".

The way I see it, I have 2 options: Rear leafs or lowering blocks.

Rear leafs would be the obvious choice, but there may be an issue with them and the bags. From what I see, the bags probably cannot be compressed another 3", which is what would happen if I put the springs in.

While I would prefer to go with no block, it would allow me to maintain the same geometry between the spring and the frame, which is what the bags need, while lowering the truck.

I am debating possibly pulling a couple leafs out, which would lower the truck, but that would likely give me the same issue as installing the springs. But it's free and would give me a good feel for whether installing the springs is feasible.

Am I overthinking this? Probably.

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I assume you have a flip kit? If so, you could put a 2" lift shackle on there. That would get you down a lil more and you wouldn't have to mess with the leafs or blocks.

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I assume you have a flip kit? If so, you could put a 2" lift shackle on there. That would get you down a lil more and you wouldn't have to mess with the leafs or blocks.

I already have the flip kit and shackles, along with the overload leaf removed.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't remove any more leafs. I would just go with a 1" block. Easiest route with minimal chance of failure.

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm thinking a 2" block, that way I can run more air in the bags on a daily basis. It just rides a lot better with about 40psi in them, but it raises up the back way too high. This is with around 10psi in them.

20151018_165520_zpscs4wnekg.jpg

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
do you have a pic of the bag setup as well as the shackles?

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
what shocks are you running?....I only run 40lbs or more when I have passengers or towing my boat...usually I run 15-20lbs when driving unloaded.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm thinking a 2" block, that way I can run more air in the bags on a daily basis. It just rides a lot better with about 40psi in them, but it raises up the back way too high. This is with around 10psi in them.

20151018_165520_zpscs4wnekg.jpg

Nice looking truck you got there my friend.

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
do you have a pic of the bag setup as well as the shackles?

Here's as close of a picture as I have. You really can't see the shackles, but they're shackles:

20150906_112217_zpsa7gniw0u.jpg

what shocks are you running?....I only run 40lbs or more when I have passengers or towing my boat...usually I run 15-20lbs when driving unloaded.

i'm running Belltech Street Performance shocks for 5" lowering along with relocation brackets.

SublimeRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been wanting another inch or two out of the rear of my truck for a while and have been debating blocks or taking a leaf out of the pack. I was hauling about 450lbs of steel a while ago and it rode so much nicer with that weight back there. Makes me lean towards removing a leaf but I can't find much info about doing so. I don't have helper bags yet, so I'd have to get some before hauling if I remove a leaf.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk