Intermittent grinding/clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManicMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all! New to these forums. Thanks for having me! Driving a 2008 4X4 Ram 1500. 5.7L Hemi. Been experiencing an intermittent grinding noise coming from the front drivers wheel area. Doesn't seem to happen while I'm turning a corner or braking etc. Always happens when driving straight at various speeds. Raised the truck and rocked wheel top to bottom, didn't notice any bearing wear to speak of. Did find a couple of small stones wedged behind rotor shield, but shield was not pressing on the rotor. Removed those. Also found a broken sway bar link though, and replaced it (actually did both sides). Drove the truck next day to work about 25 k and no issues. But on the way back, just before getting home... couple of small clunks and 2 seconds of grinding again. But then disappeared once on my street. Could it be after it heats up, that a wheel bearing is starting to go? Maybe a drive axle? Just wondering if anyone can throw some experience my way with a similar issue. Sorry for the long post. Just trying be descriptive as possible.
Thanx in advance!!

BigBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just a suggestion but have you looked into the caliper it could be sticking.

OP
OP
M

ManicMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi BigBlue05,
Thanks for the response. I will be looking at the wheel again on the weekend I hope. Luckily, I have a second vehicle right now to drive. Really appreciate the heads up regarding the caliper. A buddy also suggested the same thing. This just started happening like last week. Will re-post when I discover the issue. Glad to be on the forum, and thanks again for posting!!

Legendairy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would also check out the CV boots to make sure those are on there tight and not cracked or sliding on and off. I am dealing with that mess right now.