Introduction, and Limited / Longhorn questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Hi guys,
New here. Never had a Ram before, long time Ford guy. I'm trying to replace a 2002 F150 Supercrew, need a new ride. I'm looking for a preferrably a pre-owned truck, 2015 model with under 25k mileage on it. I like the high end trucks, Lariat/Platinum (for ford) or Laramie/Longhorn for Ram. I don't tow anything except an occasional log splitter, but I have no real power or towing capacity needs. It's more of a car to me, with storage space. I need a truck only because I have a sportfishing boat, and carry a lot of gear back and fourth to the docks (fishing gear, boating gear, wet stuff...). Sure, I could get away with an SUV, but who wants fish guts on the leather seats of an SUV.

So in shopping around, I bumped into a Longhorn with 5k on it, with the Ecodiesel in it. Pretty cool, I test ride it, and almost fell it love with it. Great ride, not loud like the old diesels, plenty of pep, loaded truck.... everything I need. Only thing it is missing is a sunroof. I wonder a bit of how a truck that sold in 01/2015, was last serviced (computer software update/recall) in 03/2015 in Michigan, has ended up on Long Island with 5k mileage on it?? Was it a lemon, one of the onese folks had ecodiesel issues with.... ??

Anyway, I'm keeping that truck in mind, but looking for another similar one. In the meantime, I have a few questions:

1. What's the real difference between the Limited, and the Longhorn?

2. I see that the 1500 does not offer a factory snow plow option, are there reasonable aftermarket options to have a plow installed on this truck? Or would I have to go with a 2500 to install a plow?

3. How do people like the Rambox?? I LOVE that feature on the Longhorn above. This is what is drawing me to this truck. But are there any problems with them I should know about?

Thanks for the help!

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I asked about snowplow option for the 1500 and they said there wasn't one. I now the Ford F150 has a snowplow option, not sure if '16 was the first year for that or not, but found out about it when shopping around before I got the Ram.

As far as the Rambox, I love it. I've only had the truck about a month, but so far no issues with the Rambox. I use them all the time. It was one of the main reasons for deciding on a Ram over Ford. And that I have always loved the Hemi engine, this is my 3rd vehicle with a Hemi.

ermahgerd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '16 Limited. The biggest difference is the overall theme of the limited is more of a cowboy "black tuxedo" verses the Longhorn is more of a King Ranch feel. IMHO, the Limited is "classier". A new loaded gas Limited will run you between $44-47K plus TTL at a volume dealer like Dennis Dillon.

I have the RamBox and love them & use them pretty much every day. IMHO, the only good reason to not get them is if you want to run a camper shell.

20160812_161416_zpsoaqhd8s6.jpg

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ecodiesel I have heard good things about except that it is expensive to maintain but that's with any diesel, you can't go wrong with a RAM, there beautiful riding!

I personally don't like the ram box, don't have one but buddy does. To me the ram box is more for a weekend truck were I use mine for work and yard work n stuff and like the extra space in the bed.

Limited is like city boy long horn is like cowboy

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
May I show some of Ford's great engineering. Lets also keep in mind the bed toughness test that GM did and runs the commercials. This a new f150 real world crash. I was to a long time Ford fan 1996-2015. We still own a ford flex and it's a big piece of junk. Within the next year we are going to replace it with a durango. Fiat it doing some great things with the dodge brand. The are finally quality vehicles.

image hosting free

free picture upload

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally don't like the ram box, don't have one but buddy does. To me the ram box is more for a weekend truck were I use mine for work and yard work n stuff and like the extra space in the bed.

I actually got the Rambox because it saves me space in the bed. The first thing I do every time I get a new truck is get a bed toolbox for storage of tools and other stuff. But with the Rambox I don't need the toolbox, and that lets me use the entire bed for hauling things. Plus being able to get at all my tools without needing to climb up in the bed to get at the center of the toolbox.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
1. What's the real difference between the Limited, and the Longhorn?

When you look at the differences among trims, it really is difficult to swallow the price difference at the high end vs middle to low end. At the high end you get material - seat covers, floor etc, and comfort - audio and appearance upgrades.

I really only wanted a 2x4, 6.4L, 4.10 set up for towing and maybe nicer wheels. I got the Big Horn for a good price so I went with it. What I got Vs what I wanted is about a $3,000 price difference.

The only thing I don't like is that the carrying weight is down about 600 lbs because of the things I don't really need - 4x4 and 5th wheel prep.

OP
OP
Machria

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Thanks guys.... So it sounds like there are no option differences between the Limited and Longhorn, it's just cosmetic correct?

If that is true, I would def. prefer the Limited.

How about the snow plow on a 1500??? Possible??

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
Limited and Longhorn interiors are pretty much identical other then color, badging and stitching. I find the Limited interior more classy, however I really like the 2 tone longhorns in either gold on black or gold on white. It's really eye catching.

Ramboxes are great for storage and really handy, however, I wouldn't compromise the lost bed width for that......

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Even the Sports can come with heated/cooled seats. Limited and Longhorn give you wood trim, saddle color or cattle brown leather, wood & leather wheel, deluxe instrument clusters etc. I've read of some instances where the Ram boxes have been cracking around the lock, don't know how common that is. Great idea if you don't mind the narrower bed.

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks guys.... So it sounds like there are no option differences between the Limited and Longhorn, it's just cosmetic correct?

If that is true, I would def. prefer the Limited.

The Limited's interior is only available in black, the Longhorn has two color options both being two-tone. The Longhorn also offers the ability to add or delete seating filigree (think horse saddles).

The Limited includes all of the offered options albeit some of them can be deleted, like the RAM boxes and four corner air suspension. Options like the keyless enter and go are standard on the Limited but optional on the Longhorn. Dealers typically order their yard stock on the higher trims will all options so you will unlikely find much difference between the two trims in the used market.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have a '16 Limited. The biggest difference is the overall theme of the limited is more of a cowboy "black tuxedo" verses the Longhorn is more of a King Ranch feel. IMHO, the Limited is "classier". A new loaded gas Limited will run you between $44-47K plus TTL at a volume dealer like Dennis Dillon.

I have the RamBox and love them & use them pretty much every day. IMHO, the only good reason to not get them is if you want to run a camper shell.

20160812_161416_zpsoaqhd8s6.jpg

What he said about the classy. My buddy had a eco diesel limited and it’s mostly black interior. As oppose to the more traditional cowboy look of the the longhorn with more two tone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Machria

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Ramboxes are great for storage and really handy, however, I wouldn't compromise the lost bed width for that......

Great idea if you don't mind the narrower bed.

You really do not loose the width of the USABLE bed with the Ramboxes. You get the full 48" (actually it's 50" wide) so you can load full sheets of plywood or drywall.... the only thing you loose is the small space just above the two wheel wells, which is most cases is useless space.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody ever try it anyway?

I don't think you can even find anyone that makes a snowplow for the Ram 1500 as they don't work correctly with the electric power steering setup.

OP
OP
Machria

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
I don't think you can even find anyone that makes a snowplow for the Ram 1500 as they don't work correctly with the electric power steering setup.

Ok, thanks. I assumed the issue was the airbags(suspension).... or maybe both the steering and airbags are an issue....

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
‘18 Limited can have Indigo/Frost interior if the Tungsten package is ordered.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Saw a 3rd Gen today with a plow. Thanks to you folks I look for this crap now LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye