Introduction, and Limited / Longhorn questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Floyd1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2009 Ram hemi crew SLT RAM BOX
Today it will torn 367,000 on the clock, I work out of my rambox on the truck open and close many times everyday has held up good.
2015 Ram Longhorn Ecodiesel,air suspension, 4wd, rambox , no sunroof I ordered mine. Looked at the limited did not like black leather in Texas . I ordered mine with the filigree dark brown with the stitching. I like the Longhorn symbol on all the gauges.
Then Ram put that new grill and tailgate on the limited , don’t like that at all.
Choose wat you like , I came out of a SLT with premium cloth into a Longhorn , will stay with longhorn model from now on

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have a 17 limited with the air suspension and 6.5' bed w/ the Ram box. Love the Ram box. Was ambivalent about them at first, but the more I use them, the more I like them. As another post said, you really don't lose much space at all, and what is lost is hard to use in a normal bed. You still can load 4x8' sheets of plywood or drywall.

I came out of an 11 3500 SRW w/Cummins, and of course the 1500 w air rides great. Test drove a normally sprung 1500, and it rode good too, just a little harsher, but nowhere near as jarring as the 3500 unloaded. Also test drove an F150 equipped with their max tow pkg. It rode noticeably more harsh than the conventionally sprung 1500. If your truck is going to be loaded most of the time thats not an issue, but if it will mostly only be hauling you, it is a consideration, particularly on longer trips. The base F150's ride nice tho, as they are relatively softly sprung at the expense of load capacity.
I was interested in the F150 only because of the aluminum body. Not sure if the short term benefits of the 470 ft-lbs of torque of the 3.5 EB outweigh any long term reliability of what undeniably is a more complex engine in the EB.

Before I would move on an Eco Diesel, do some research. I've read a lot of unfavorable reviews of this engine. Enough to make me uncomfortable were I interested in one. That and all of the over regulated emissions equipment on diesels moved me out of that segment. As an example, the DPF (diesel particulate filters) on the heavy duties will need to be replaced somewhere north of 100K miles, and they cost ~$1500 - $2000. That component on the Eco Diesel may not be as much, but could be close, and like the heavy duties, will need to be replaced at some point.

Finally the leather in the limited is really nice. Same thickness as in the Longhorn (my 11 3500 was a Longhorn), just different stitching. Prefer the leather for a lot of reasons, but the one that drives me to leather is exiting the vehicle in the winter. On cloth seats, if you forget to grab either the door or quarter panel before you slide out, you will arc into the truck when you close the door. Doesn't happen with leather seats.