Is Going to 3500 SRW Worth It for HO Cummins & Aisin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question for you wise HD veterans: if you were going to buy an HD (2500 or 3500), is it worth the extra money to get the 3500 (SRW) for the High Output Cummins & Aisin?

I tow almost never and haul only occasionally (the load's never beyond 2500 hauling capability).

3500 Pros:
  • More payload
  • More HP (only 15 HP but still)
  • More TQ (100 ft-lbs)
  • Aisin more reliable (?)
3500 Cons:
  • Rougher ride on leafs vs coils
  • Less bumpy road stability on leafs vs coils
  • No 4x4 Offroad Package available (no Bilsteins :()
  • More state registration fees (usually)
  • ~$5K Extra cost (+~$2K from 2500 to 3500; +~$2.6K for Aisin)
Did I miss anything else to think about?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If those were my towing requirements and use, I'd not spend the additional money.

I would, however, meet or exceed the service requirements and intervals on the 2500.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the cost is the same- I’d go 3500. But if it is more I stay with the 2500

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If it were me I'd test drive them both and if the ride was close I'd go 3500. Already an expensive truck so what's a few more dollars for more power and a better tranny and more capacity.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Personally I'd just go all out with 3500, IF in your state you don't get ***** by insurance and registration etc.

Charger Scat Pack on lease is around 30% less to insure a month than my 2500 and somewhere around that amount less for registration fee. And the 2500 is only 10k GVWR. My 1500 was also more than the Charger but less than the 2500...

I wouldn't even want to know what it cost to insure and register yearly a 3500 Cummins in this state.

I guess they are worried these heavy vehicles are going to cause mass destruction.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
quesiton: what are your needs for the upcoming new truck??? are you looking at towing the world on a trailer? are you looking for a off road monster or maybe a middle between the two? what are your payload/towing capacity requirements???

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Question for you wise HD veterans: if you were going to buy an HD (2500 or 3500), is it worth the extra money to get the 3500 (SRW) for the High Output Cummins & Aisin?

I tow almost never and haul only occasionally (the load's never beyond 2500 hauling capability).

3500 Pros:
  • More payload
  • More HP (only 15 HP but still)
  • More TQ (100 ft-lbs)
  • Aisin more reliable (?)
3500 Cons:
  • Rougher ride on leafs vs coils
  • Less bumpy road stability on leafs vs coils
  • No 4x4 Offroad Package available (no Bilsteins :()
  • More state registration fees (usually)
  • ~$5K Extra cost (+~$2K from 2500 to 3500; +~$2.6K for Aisin)
Did I miss anything else to think about?

My 2500 rides really rough unless I have about 2 ton in the bed so I really doubt the 3500 would ride much worse. If your not towing why have the $9000 diesel option?

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For your towing and hauling requirements- no. I wouldn't. The upcharge for the HO Cummins and Aisin just wouldn't be worth it to me. I may be wrong, but I believe the Aisin has more frequent and pricier service intervals as well, so unless you have the need for that little bit of extra HP and a PTO, why waste the money? 100 ft lbs of torque extra would be nice, but how nice? I don't really know they are any more reliable than the 68RFE when used and maintained properly. Any transmission will fail when used hard and abused.

Add on the fact that you lament about the Bils... so there is another cost you can bet on because we both know you will get them :D

Just my 2 cents- I am a cheap bugger, so take that into consideration.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That Aisin transmission is supposedly really good. But if you don’t ever tow any heavier than a 2500 can handle, and do not plan on going any heavier in the future, you might as well save the money.

That said, if you want the 3500, and have the $$$$, go for it. After spending $50k+ on a truck, the last thing you want is regrets a week later.

I only got the 3500 (with a Hemi) because registration is actually less for the 1-ton than the 3/4-ton here in MN. I haven’t even come close to the payload limits of this truck, and I haven’t even towed anything near the limits either. My only complaint is I spill coffee out of my Yeti coffee mug when it’s in the cup holder and I’m driving on bumpy roads.

Good luck with your choice either way.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
quesiton: what are your needs for the upcoming new truck??? are you looking at towing the world on a trailer? are you looking for a off road monster or maybe a middle between the two? what are your payload/towing capacity requirements???

I tow pretty much never and I haul only occasionally - never above the 2500 payload.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2500 rides really rough unless I have about 2 ton in the bed so I really doubt the 3500 would ride much worse. If your not towing why have the $9000 diesel option?

Short answer: because diesel is so badass. :)

Long answer: because I lived through the Dallas "gas shortage" of 2017 and never want to do it again.

I'm not saying that there won't be a run on diesel the next time something panics the flock, but a 55-gallon diesel aux tank would have bought me enough time & range to get out of DFW.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For your towing and hauling requirements- no. I wouldn't. The upcharge for the HO Cummins and Aisin just wouldn't be worth it to me. I may be wrong, but I believe the Aisin has more frequent and pricier service intervals as well, so unless you have the need for that little bit of extra HP and a PTO, why waste the money? 100 ft lbs of torque extra would be nice, but how nice? I don't really know they are any more reliable than the 68RFE when used and maintained properly. Any transmission will fail when used hard and abused.

Add on the fact that you lament about the Bils... so there is another cost you can bet on because we both know you will get them :D

Just my 2 cents- I am a cheap bugger, so take that into consideration.

You are so right about the Bilsteins . . . I forgot to take my own personality into consideration. =)

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When I had my Diesel Trucks at one time Diesel was 5.00 a gallon here in the N W. Very Expensive

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My 2500 rides really rough unless I have about 2 ton in the bed

Really, 4,000 pounds in a 2500?

OP, I tow 15,000 with a 3500 single rear wheel 3500 Cummins with the 68RFE transmission. I have zero issues and never felt the need for more power, good grief, 800 ft.lbs now, where does it end.

As far as ride, ride is all about the condition of the road you travel. A smooth roadway equals a smooth ride.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
My preferences is on the 2500 now that they share most of the same parts. The only reason I would get a 3500 is if I were doing DRW. This is just me and my preferences and towing/hauling needs. Your needs may be different. If you every plan on putting a camper on the back or use it to haul something that is top heavy in the bed, then you might want to consider the 3500 from few examples I seen on the internet. The coils on the 2500 are placed closer to the middle of the axle and top heavy things like to sway side to side unless you get air bags or Timbrens.

As far as the Aisin goes.... While it is a hell of a reliable towing transmission, it does have its draw backs. One is the more frequent 30k mile service intervals as stated before. In comparison the 68RFE is 60k for severe duty and 120k for non severe. Then there is the slower and clunkier shifting compared to the 68RFE. This is one reason why the 68RFE trucks ussually do better 0-60 than the Aisin trucks. Another draw back is that the Aisin has yet to be unlocked for custom transmission tuning where you can customize the shift strategy like you can with the 68RFE. From what I read on the Cummins forums, most with the Aisin can't add too much power without the transmission's "nannies" coming on. If you plan on leaving it stock then this is not an issue, but if you plan on tuning it at some point then this is something to consider.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Short answer: because diesel is so badass. :)

Long answer: because I lived through the Dallas "gas shortage" of 2017 and never want to do it again.

I'm not saying that there won't be a run on diesel the next time something panics the flock, but a 55-gallon diesel aux tank would have bought me enough time & range to get out of DFW.

Sure- if you want a diesel just buy one. I'm not one to get into a diesel vs. gas debate. Diesel here is .45 a gallon higher than gas right now.

UpInSm0kE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
At least you wouldn't have this staring you right in the face all the time!

honkjpg-c33fe00a9cb8cbe7_large.jpg

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well OP if you were to get a 3500 diesel I'm sure you'd justify getting something worthy of pulling with that Train of a truck. But be warned if you have neighbors that dont have a truck you may become your neighborhood towing and hauling go to guy (nothing wrong with that if you like your neighbors).