Is Going to 3500 SRW Worth It for HO Cummins & Aisin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I got a 3500 srw. So fare a 2500 would work for most everything iv done with it but id rather have the capacity. Its not much more money.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
And to be honest... i think the 2500 is a “tweener” truck. Either get a 1/2 ton or go for the one ton

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
And I say bahahaha. It' JMO.

I only say it because know why the payload is due to the truck classification system and not actual carrying ability.

Stans Customs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well some times you finally do something just because you really want to...especially if you've spent your whole life scrimping, and can finally do it without sending your finances into a tail spin.

That's my situation anyway..so I bought something I needed to pull a hot rod, or my old classic Corvette I'm slowly building, and not even know it's there.
Yeah right..but that's what I keep telling myself, lol!!

Truth of the matter is I've always had a Chevy step side short bed pickup, or a short wide bed chevy pickup..and have had several dually wreckers (garage owner then)....and I always have loved the Cummins engine.

So I bought a short wide bed (dually) pickup (albeit on steroids..lol) with the Longhorn Mega Cab and the best diesel engine ever built (a Cummins).

Because I needed one? ...really? Does anyone need one that that ask these questions?
I asked the same thing, but deep down I knew I might some dental work, but I really didn't need this truck. A tweener (ha, hah...lol) would have been just fine... in fact great!

BUT ..at 69...I bought one because I absolutely loved everything about it. The cool short bed with duals, the stunning leather interior that smells sooo good...and last but not least, the awsome Cummins engine!!

Hmmm...???
Maybe I really did need one ?...just not for the normal reasons ....and I'm not getting any younger.

Good luck with your choice...
Stan

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Well some times you finally do something just because you really want to...especially if you've spent your whole life scrimping, and can finally do it without sending your finances into a tail spin.

That's my situation anyway..so I bought something I needed to pull a hot rod, or my old classic Corvette I'm slowly building, and not even know it's there.
Yeah right..but that's what I keep telling myself, lol!!

Truth of the matter is I've always had a Chevy step side short bed pickup, or a short wide bed chevy pickup..and have had several dually wreckers (garage owner then)....and I always have loved the Cummins engine.

So I bought a short wide bed (dually) pickup (albeit on steroids..lol) with the Longhorn Mega Cab and the best diesel engine ever built (a Cummins).

Because I needed one? ...really? Does anyone need one that that ask these questions?
I asked the same thing, but deep down I knew I might some dental work, but I really didn't need this truck. A tweener (ha, hah...lol) would have been just fine... in fact great!

BUT ..at 69...I bought one because I absolutely loved everything about it. The cool short bed with duals, the stunning leather interior that smells sooo good...and last but not least, the awsome Cummins engine!!

Hmmm...???
Maybe I really did need one ?...just not for the normal reasons ....and I'm not getting any younger.

Good luck with your choice...
Stan

That's great! Spend it now. You don't want to be the richest person in the graveyard.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
And I say bahahaha. It' JMO.

I only say it because know why the payload is due to the truck classification system and not actual carrying ability.

Just an honest question,

Is the coil spring setup in the 2500 capable of the same payload capacity as the leafs on the 3500
? All else the same because i know you can get them both with the same axles. And they both can technically PULL the same too.

From what iv seen the leafs can handle a lot more with a lot less squat.

Last edited:

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
If I were towing regularly and going diesel I'd prob just go 3500 for the extra payload but it would only be for the legal numbers. With the weight of the Cummins you get less payload on the 2500. But the coils on the 2500's do a really good job of keeping sag away. Check around for some pics of people loaded up. And other than the suspension the trucks are the same.

The 1500's are a joke compared to the 2500 as far as payload/sag lol. I know because last summer I loaded my 2500 bed with weight that made my 1500 wilt.

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If I were towing regularly and going diesel I'd prob just go 3500 for the extra payload but it would only be for the legal numbers. With the weight of the Cummins you get less payload on the 2500. But the coils on the 2500's do a really good job of keeping sag away. Check around for some pics of people loaded up. And other than the suspension the trucks are the same.

The 1500's are a joke compared to the 2500 as far as payload/sag lol. I know because last summer I loaded my 2500 bed with weight that made my 1500 wilt.

I picked up 2 pallets of hardwood flooring and the forklift guy commented about how little the truck sagged. Those coils are a solid setup on the 2500's.
20170307_163716.jpg

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Just an honest question,

Is the coil spring setup in the 2500 capable of the same payload capacity as the leafs on the 3500
? All else the same because i know you can get them both with the same axles. And they both can technically PULL the same too.

From what iv seen the leafs can handle a lot more with a lot less squat.

I don't believe the 2500 is capable stock to handle the same payload as the 3500, but I know that it will handle more than what it is regulated at. The difference between the rear axle rating of a my 2500 and a 3500 of the same year is 500 lbs(2500 6,500 lbs/3500 7,000 lbs) yet there is a 1,500 lbs difference in payload due to truck class regulation. Since they both have the same axles, logic would dictate that adding air bags or other devices to help the 2500's suspension handle the extra load would increase its carrying ability just like a friend of mine who swapped out his F250 leaf springs for F350 leaf springs.

Payload = GVWR - truck weight. If the truck class the 2500 is regulated to a max GVWR of 10,000 lbs no matter how much the truck can actually carry, then what do you think that does to the payload number as the weight of the truck increases. Luckily, these are just numbers for truck manufacturers to abide by and manufacturer numbers are not enforced by the law in the real world. Although some seem to live by them like they are law.

As far as the squat "a lot" more, it would depend on your definition of "a lot" is. I will have to find it, but I recall a Ram 2500 6.4L owner, ib516, testing out his 2014's 2500 coil suspension versus his neighbors 2014 3500 CTD using the same 14k lb trailer with a 2,800 pin weight. While both are slightly different in height unloaded, the difference in how much each squat from stock was less than three quarts of an inch from each other with the 2500 going down to 39.8 inches and the 3500 to 40.3 inches loaded. If your definition of a lot is less than 3/4 of an inch then I guess the it does squat a lot.

Last edited:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Per an interview with the director of Ram Truck Engineering:

"On the heavy duty (Ram 2500), we increased the payload. Yes, it’s coil spring. You make it as big and heavy as you want. You can get any spring rate you want, within some reason. It certainly doesn’t limit payload. We pick the payloads for out trucks to gain the balance of fuel economy, ride handling, etc."

Basically, it's not necessarily a suspension design limitation. But does raise the question of why they didn't just adopt it on the 3500's as well.

https://www.allpar.com/history/interviews/engineers/mike-cairns.html

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
My guess, easier integration for cab and chassis models.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My guess, easier integration for cab and chassis models.

Yep, that makes a lot of sense considering the amount of hardware spread around the rear on a 5-link setup.

6.4 dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My 4500 and 5500 have identical leaf springs(same part #'s) but trucks differ 3000 lbs on gvwr. It's all about classifications......

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I bought my 2500 3.5 years ago I test drove a rear leaf 3500 back to back with my 2500 coils and the difference was pretty noticeable. The leafs are just so jarring and the coils firm. Both are still pretty harsh, of course. After buying and immediately towing my RV (at that time an 8K TT) the difference was amazing. The leafs on my old Silverado were just so much more loose and jarring than the new coils with my 2500.

If the time ever comes for a new truck I'd likely go 3500 and immediately swap out the rear leafs with a full air Kelderman system. That seems to be the best of all worlds. Nice soft ride when unloaded and then fill to what you need when towing. In the meantime the coils are okay. I just couldn't see getting smacked around by leafs as a daily driver.

My state doesn't have any crazy regulations to keep me from the 3500 or I'd have no problem going 2500 and doing the same. With the rear suspension swapped it's the exact same truck other than some badges and #s on the door jamb.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Having owned both the 3500 and 1500 I submit it's a balance between getting what makes you happy and getting what is sized for your needs. Come up with a percentage between the two. I enjoyed my rough riding diesel for 12 years until renting a 1500 for a month. Traded for the 1500 and enjoying it's ride and handling. It fits in the garage and for my use the 3500 was never needed. Unless you have a need to roll coal. That was fun but be warned it can get expensive if you mod.

jameskseaton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have owned a 2010 3500, 68RFE and now a 2013 3500, Aisin. I will never own another 68RFE, even if it was given to me I'd trade it for the HO Aisin. If you WANT it, buy it. I won't own a Dually because I don't like the way they track in heavy snow. Yes, I tow a lot and heavy, but I will never own another 68RFE, did I say that yet?

It's said, better to have something that you will need occasionally, than to need something and not have what you need. I'm thinking of a 4500 next time if I could get it with SRW and PU bed. But, I don't need that at all and almost have my 2013 paid off with just 61000 on the OD. At approximately 100,000 I plan on updating the suspension with a complete Carli 2.5 Pintop with Remote Reservoir King Shocks. Had that on the 2010 from early on and my Wife has complained for the last 50,000 miles on why I haven't had it installed on this 2013.

Send me a private email and I'll tell you why I won't ever owned a 68FRE in this lifetime, ever, ever, ever again, Amen.