Is the belltech kit THAT bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jboy2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every time I'm ready to pull the trigger on the kit, I always end up second guessing my decision or hearing another bad story and end up ******** out. I'm wanting to run the belltech spring only kit until i save up the $$$ for qa1s.

Is the belltech spring only kit tolerable as is for the time being? Or is lowering the ram something that just shouldnt be done? I'm not trying to spend $500 on that illicit customs bracket and another $700 for qa1s just to get it to ride decent.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing wrong with the Belltech kit, I have the 2/4 drop on mine but as with many others that have issues it is due to the kit being modified from its original design which isn't bad but there are a few things to keep in mind when going lower than the kit is designed.

The Belltech shocks are not the greatest but they are also not horrible. Mine have worn within the 35k I have owned the truck and not sure the miles before I owned it, much of that can be attributed to the crappy roads in my area.

What is your exact plan? 2/4 drop and call it good, 3/5 or 4/6 5/7 ???? But again if your just looking a t a 2/4 your good to go.

OP
OP
J

jboy2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing wrong with the Belltech kit, I have the 2/4 drop on mine but as with many others that have issues it is due to the kit being modified from its original design which isn't bad but there are a few things to keep in mind when going lower than the kit is designed.

The Belltech shocks are not the greatest but they are also not horrible. Mine have worn within the 35k I have owned the truck and not sure the miles before I owned it, much of that can be attributed to the crappy roads in my area.

What is your exact plan? 2/4 drop and call it good, 3/5 or 4/6 5/7 ???? But again if your just looking a t a 2/4 your good to go.

Thanks for the insight man. Im just going 2/4 for now with stock shocks until i get qa1s. I'd like to go 2/5 in the future when i get some rims, but thats a BIG maybe.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Things to look out for when going lower is control arm to frame contact, axle position, you'll need a adjustable panhard bar, and if you want to recenter the axle front to back, you will need wither spohn arms (may have issues with those) or relocation brackets, and bump stops.

If you go lower with cut springs in the front there are a few things to think about also, and its bump stops, ball joints to adjust camber, and position of the lower a arm with how low you go, gets close to the frame also.... Oh and swaybar endlinks for both front and rear, you can get those if you add a swaybar if you don't already have one.

there is much debate on whats better, spindle/knuckle drops or spring drops, but both have their pro/cons. There is alot of posts on the forum that discuss the McGaughys knucke drop vs spring..

Personally if I were to do my truck over I would use both but use the knucke to get most of my drop and try to keep most of the steering geometry as factory as possible.

OP
OP
J

jboy2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Things to look out for when going lower is control arm to frame contact, axle position, you'll need a adjustable panhard bar, and if you want to recenter the axle front to back, you will need wither spohn arms (may have issues with those) or relocation brackets, and bump stops.

If you go lower with cut springs in the front there are a few things to think about also, and its bump stops, ball joints to adjust camber, and position of the lower a arm with how low you go, gets close to the frame also.... Oh and swaybar endlinks for both front and rear, you can get those if you add a swaybar if you don't already have one.

there is much debate on whats better, spindle/knuckle drops or spring drops, but both have their pro/cons. There is alot of posts on the forum that discuss the McGaughys knucke drop vs spring..

Personally if I were to do my truck over I would use both but use the knucke to get most of my drop and try to keep most of the steering geometry as factory as possible.

I wont be going lower than 2" in the front. I have the same gripe as everyone else regarding the spindle; the wheels getting pushed out. but hopefully itll ride decently with a 2/4.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should be just fine.... especially with the adjustability of the QA1 shocks.

I'd still look into the adjustable panhard bar and also a sway bar if you don't have one already.

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I'm planning, the McGaughy deluxe kit with the 2" drop spindles in the front, and also adding their 2" drop springs to that to give me a 4" drop in the front. Gonna take their 4" drop springs for the rear and chop em down another inch. And yeah, all the factory bump stops are getting cut out and going with smaller Energy Suspension ones like I did last time.

Slowpar R/T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Every time I'm ready to pull the trigger on the kit, I always end up second guessing my decision or hearing another bad story and end up ******** out. I'm wanting to run the belltech spring only kit until i save up the $$$ for qa1s.

Is the belltech spring only kit tolerable as is for the time being? Or is lowering the ram something that just shouldnt be done? I'm not trying to spend $500 on that illicit customs bracket and another $700 for qa1s just to get it to ride decent.

Man, I was in your spot for over a YEAR before I just buckled down and did it... I was worry about ride quality more than anything else as I never tow with the truck but on the same hand, I wasn't looking to make my truck a full on SCCA competition machine; I wanted a good ride quality while looking good is all.

JUST DO IT!! I wish I had done it sooner...lol

I have the Bellteech kit with the QA1s in the rear (stock front shocks) and the Hellwig sway bar, which to me is all you need. All the problems I have heard are the Spohn parts (traction bar clunking, constantly adjusting control arms). To me, unless you are trying to make the truck handle like it's on rails, all those other parts are just unnecessary; it rides nicer and handles better with just those 3 parts.

Last edited:

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man, I was in your spot for over a YEAR before I just buckled down and did it... I was worry about ride quality more than anything else as I never tow with the truck but on the same hand, I wasn't looking to make my truck a full on SCCA competition machine; I wanted a good ride quality while looking good is all.

JUST DO IT!! I wish I had done it sooner...lol

I have the Belltech kit with the QA1s in the rear (stock front shocks) and the Hellwig sway bar, which to me is all you need. All the problems I have heard are the Spohn parts (traction bar clunking, constantly adjusting control arms). To me, unless you are trying to make the truck handle like it's on rails, all those other parts are just unnecessary; it rides nicer and handles better with just those 3 parts.

Alot of people say it rides nicer & handles better but I think it depends on your local roads. I have the Belltech kit w/ the SP shocks in rear, stock front shocks, f150 front sway endlinks, Hellwig rear sway & Spohn adjustable panhard. Mine rides like CRAP BUT the roads in Baton Rouge, La are horrible. On smooth roads the ride is great but on our ageing interstate my 100 mile a day commute is miserable. I really wish that I would have never lowered the truck. I hated the stock ride height being that the truck is an R/T but I dont even like driving my 1 yr old truck anymore b/c of the terrible ride. I will play around w/ it a lil more but if I cant get all the issues sorted out before next fall then I will be going to stock height again. Every truck that I have had for the last 15 yrs has been lowered but this 1 takes the cake w/ lowering issues. The 22" R/T wheels probably arent helping the matter any. I have had both the Mcgaughys & Belltech lowering kits.

The front bounces all around w/ the stock shocks. It bounces up & down & from side to side & has a ton of front body roll. I have a set of Bilstein 4600's coming in today that I'm going to try to firm the front up w/. I know the Bilstein 4600's are really a stock height HD shock but there isnt that many lowering shock choices out there so I'm giving them a shot. I have read that the guys thats lowered that have tried them are very happy, we will see this evening.

The rear has the wagging movement at 90 mph. For everyday driving I dont get over 75-80 but at the drag strip the swaying is too much to stay in it on the big end. The QA1's are supposed to fix that but the price is a hard pill to swallow. Probably this fall I will swap the rear Belltech SP's out for the QA1's. The new Illicit brackets are supposed to fix it but I haveng heard that much feed back on them yet

Last edited:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alot of people say it rides nicer & handles better but I think it depends on your local roads.

This is very true.... When I bought the truck it was already lowered with the modified belltech and was surprised a big name ram dealer was selling it on their lot. but I digress, It road smooth and was very surprised at the ride quality vs stiffness. Fast forward to now when I need to replace the shocks and the crappy roads around house put alot of wear and tear on the susp and I bottom out alot up front, even driving slow.... It is alot rougher and hammers the bump stops...

Slowpar R/T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Alot of people say it rides nicer & handles better but I think it depends on your local roads.

I live in NJ and all roads here suck. Bad. I have the QA1s set reeeeaallly soft (4 out of 18) in the rear and I still it's a nicer ride than the stock shock; I'm not sure if it's just preference or someone expecting some to handle like it's on rails and be comfortable but I can't complain myself. :think:

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I live in NJ and all roads here suck. Bad. I have the QA1s set reeeeaallly soft (4 out of 18) in the rear and I still it's a nicer ride than the stock shock; I'm not sure if it's just preference or someone expecting some to handle like it's on rails and be comfortable but I can't complain myself. :think:

I know all the downsides of lowering, this is the 5th truck that I have lowered in 15 yrs BUT this 1 has just been a pain to deal w/ expecially w/ the coil spring rear. W/ that being said I installed the Bilstein 4600's a lil while ago. Huge difference over the stock Hitachis so far. I just drove it about 15 miles through town & so far its much more firm w/ less body roll. The real test will be my morning commute on the interstate. W/ the stock Hitachis & Belltech springs the front suspension was very soft then the rebound after the initial impact was bad. The truck would rock from side to side in the front on some bumps. The body roll was worse than stock. So far on my short drive w/ the Bilsteins all those things mentioned are much better. We will see in the morning who it does on the interstate. Our roads are in very poor condition also. I have been out of state & the truck rides fairly good, get around the Baton Rouge area...not so much...

Last edited:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Our roads are in very poor condition also. I have been out of state & the truck rides fairly good, get around the Baton Rouge area...not so much...

Come to Cali, you will be glad to have the roads you do.... We have roads in my area that are impassable by my truck and charger cause they are so rough... I have better dirt roads on the farm then some of the paved roads in my area....
This is why once I get my SH!$ together the new daily driver will be a outfitted Ram with the ram runner suspension or the Jeep I want that can crawl and still soak up the roads....

I went from a 07 CTD on 35's with mixed Carli and thuren suspension parts to a lowered R/T.. This is my first lowered truck ever. Still love it though

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't blame you, but politics aside it is definitely worth seeing though... screw the cities but the coast, redwoods, mountains etc etc are great.
I'm pretty sure the roads are bad where you are also...
We have alot of damage from the recent storms this winter season that have decimated the state road ways....

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I stand corrected on my previous issues. My drive to work this morning was sooooo nice!!!!!! The Bilstein 4600's took out all of the issues I previously mentioned w/ the stock Hitachis. I'm very happy. They are not a lowering shock but they worked great for me.

rtorres51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Belltech with shocks. no problems. I replaced the stock tires with Falkens, a big difference in ride quality.

OP
OP
J

jboy2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I stand corrected on my previous issues. My drive to work this morning was sooooo nice!!!!!! The Bilstein 4600's took out all of the issues I previously mentioned w/ the stock Hitachis. I'm very happy. They are not a lowering shock but they worked great for me.

Awesome man!!! did you go bilstein all around or just in the front?
Part number?

I hope i can get this ram lowered and riding decent, i got this truck because of how mean they look lowered

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome man!!! did you go bilstein all around or just in the front?
Part number?

I hope i can get this ram lowered and riding decent, i got this truck because of how mean they look lowered

I just went w/ the front since I already have the Belltech SP shocks. I wish I would have went w/ the Bilsteins in the rear too. The fronts that I used are pretty much the same lengths extended & compressed as the Belltech shocks. Here is the link

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-24-187480

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Man i also dreaded lowering my brand new truck especially cutting off bump stops. But finally just went for it i will say at about the 200 miles i have on the kit it rides great. I also went with the hellwig rear sway bar and im sure it helps i do get a wobble at full throttle after 60 mph. I am going to play with it but i do believe the stock tires are garbage and have a play in it. But i am glad i lowered my truck my alignment wouldnt get perfect eather but i was ok with that just rotate your tires every 5000 you will be fine.

MDRAKE1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alot of people say it rides nicer & handles better but I think it depends on your local roads. I have the Belltech kit w/ the SP shocks in rear, stock front shocks, f150 front sway endlinks, Hellwig rear sway & Spohn adjustable panhard. Mine rides like CRAP BUT the roads in Baton Rouge, La are horrible. On smooth roads the ride is great but on our ageing interstate my 100 mile a day commute is miserable. I really wish that I would have never lowered the truck. I hated the stock ride height being that the truck is an R/T but I dont even like driving my 1 yr old truck anymore b/c of the terrible ride. I will play around w/ it a lil more but if I cant get all the issues sorted out before next fall then I will be going to stock height again. Every truck that I have had for the last 15 yrs has been lowered but this 1 takes the cake w/ lowering issues. The 22" R/T wheels probably arent helping the matter any. I have had both the Mcgaughys & Belltech lowering kits.

The front bounces all around w/ the stock shocks. It bounces up & down & from side to side & has a ton of front body roll. I have a set of Bilstein 4600's coming in today that I'm going to try to firm the front up w/. I know the Bilstein 4600's are really a stock height HD shock but there isnt that many lowering shock choices out there so I'm giving them a shot. I have read that the guys thats lowered that have tried them are very happy, we will see this evening.

The rear has the wagging movement at 90 mph. For everyday driving I dont get over 75-80 but at the drag strip the swaying is too much to stay in it on the big end. The QA1's are supposed to fix that but the price is a hard pill to swallow. Probably this fall I will swap the rear Belltech SP's out for the QA1's. The new Illicit brackets are supposed to fix it but I haveng heard that much feed back on them yet
I live in BR where the roads suck..lol
Off topic sorry.. but do recommend any shop for rear gear install? L&S I well known.