is this of concern? singing diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mopar4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
05 1500 5.7 all stock
3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle

bought this a few weeks ago. had crappy tires and i didnt notice this til i put quieter tires on.

i can hear a very very very very faint “howl” around 50mph+ mostly while accelerating, let off the throttle and i think the noise goes away (hard to tell). in order to hear it the radio needs to be off, the wind has to be calm (no wind noise), nobody can be talking, hvac fan speed has to be off.

past experience suggests this is a differential noise, not sure which diff. i serviced the rear lsd diff a few weeks ago with amsoil and mopar friction modifier, but as i said above, my tires are now quieter so i have no idea if this is new or not.

previous owner did have the pinion nut recall done.

normal?

vwmaniaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1993 Roadtrek camper on Dodge with 5,2 Magnum. Has had a little howl like that since I bought it 20K ago. I pulled the cover and inspected it and put Royal Purple Synthetic in it. Still make a little noise at certain speeds but no obvious wear patterns were showing. If it is that quiet and doesn't bother or worry you too badly, I would just go with it.