jl 600 vs alpine 600

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devin Meek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looking to power 1 10" JL w6v3. Amps I've narrowed it down to a JL xd600/1v2 or Alpine pdx-m6. both will put out 600 at 2 ohms which is perfect. just wanted to know anybody else's thoughts or suggestions. also if anyone has any places that usually have good deals. thanks in advance

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m running the PDR F50 and love it so far. Don’t know anything about the JL but I’ve used them in the past on other vehicles and boats. Either should give you what your looking for though..

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
imho it's always better to have more power in reserve than you need. just set the gain down so you don't overload the subs...this way if you ever upgrade you'll already have the power needed. Just my opinion...but when it comes to amplifier power too much is never too much.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hahaha doesnt even compare in quality to the ones he is asking about.

for someone one a budget it may be an ok amp but for the equipment he has/looking at using his budget is a lot higher.

Please explain with some kind of proof that the other amps he's talking about are better quality in any way. I'd love to see the proof....or is it that you just believe in the marketing and name recognition?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Please explain with some kind of proof that the other amps he's talking about are better quality in any way. I'd love to see the proof....or is it that you just believe in the marketing and name recognition?
Please take this in a kind way. but the JL or Alpine will have more power, less THD, and probably actually MAKE the rated power or better. Pioneer can make a good radio, not so well on amps IMHO as far as making the right power.
OP;
Between the JL and Alpine, the JL seems a better buy.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please take this in a kind way. but the JL or Alpine will have more power, less THD, and probably actually MAKE the rated power or better. Pioneer can make a good radio, not so well on amps IMHO as far as making the right power.
OP;
Between the JL and Alpine, the JL seems a better buy.

I'm not taking it the wrong way....but...I DID post videos of both units showing bench testing and actual power output and the Pioneer was dead on (actually exceeded claimed power) as did the JL. So...with that being said, and the THD the same, why would anyone pay double for 1/2 the power? I say that's pure marketing bias and not based on anything real or scientific.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devin Meek

Devin Meek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well right now I dotn have 0 gauge wire ran, only 4 gauge. so a huge amp is outta the question. don't want to have to redo it

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would love to see how long that pioneed amp would last with that JL sub before it burns up. I would be surprised if it lasted a year.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I would roll with the Alpine
I don’t recall seeing the Pioneer in the original post ?

However is a great budget solution
Unfortunatly due to lower quality caps and overall electronics sound deterioration over time will be on a much higher curv than the Alpine and JL counter part

The PDX line is beastly and proven to stand the test of time

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would love to see how long that pioneed amp would last with that JL sub before it burns up. I would be surprised if it lasted a year.

well i'll be happy to let you know if a year how my GM-D9601 is doing. It's running twin 10" Alpine Type S right now...and I might upgrade to Type R soon. So far...I've had no issues, no heat, and great sound from my subs. I did a lot of research prior to buying the Pioneer and thus far I don't regret it at all. That being said....time will tell I guess

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
My old 4 channel Alpine I handed down to my son can’t rember the model but
Still sounds great in his 2005 Dakota. Has to be almost 15 years old
Quality electronics makes all the difference in the longevity of any component
Alpine shines in this area