Just got my new 2016 Ram Rebel. Should I get a new muffler or full catback exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had my 2016 Ram Rebel for about a month now and one of the first mods I want to do is up the exhaust note of the truck and if I can, any performance gains are a plus.

I was looking at the Flowmaster Outlaw exhaust. Since I already have the dual out the back tail pipes, does it make any sense to do the full catback system over a simple muffler swap? What would I gain from doing the catback over the muffler alone?

Thanks.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I would just grab a 14" Magnaflow as opposed to a chambered unit
kill the resonators and call it a day

The factory Y pipe seems to be a bottle neck, depending if you are looking for really nice sound or if you are more into gaining performance

Not sure there is a lot there unless you go with headers and complete system

OP
OP
M

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I go to my local exhaust shop and say 14" magnaflow and no resonators, he'll know what to do? Sorry, I'm not a mechanic.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
So if I go to my local exhaust shop and say 14" magnaflow and no resonators, he'll know what to do? Sorry, I'm not a mechanic.

he will , should be around $ 200.00 to $ 250.00 assuming you already have dual exhaust

I had single pipe and added dual out the sides on mine and they charged me $ 300.00 , all stainless custom bent

This is the one you probably will end up with

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12198

here is the way mine came out and it sounds amazing and no in cabin drone , warning though sound a little wonky when MDS is on ?

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 443

Granite-1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new truck!

Be sure to compare the prices of buying everything through them compared to ordering the muffler off the internet and just having them weld it in place. Some shops mark up their mufflers like crazy and you can sometimes save a sizable amount by ordering the muffler yourself.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What granite-1500 said, getting a mufflex and doing it myself was way cheaper then getting a shop to do it around here. On a previous truck it cost me nearly 300 for a muffler swap and i supplied the muffler

Last edited:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Welcome to the forum!

I went with a full cat back on my last Ram, only because I intended to sell the stock system. I bought an MBRP cat back for $500, and sold my stock system for $300. There is no advantage to a cat back. The pipe size stays the same, might as well just swap the muffler.

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Carven Exhaust

I'm very happy with my Carven RA-X direct fit muffler. No cutting or welding and bolts right up using the Torca coupler clamps provided with the kit. It has a nice rumble to it, no annoying drone at least to my ears, and sounds like a Hemi should at wot. It is louder during normal driving but that is what I was looking for!

Attachments

• Carven.jpg
    Carven.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 598

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm very happy with my Carven RA-X direct fit muffler. No cutting or welding and bolts right up using the Torca coupler clamps provided with the kit. It has a nice rumble to it, no annoying drone at least to my ears, and sounds like a Hemi should at wot. It is louder during normal driving but that is what I was looking for!

I would go with this set up. I don't run it. Yet. But I can tell you that I have had the Magnaflow 14" installed for almost two years and I am not happy with it. The sound is good. But as soon as I left the muffler shop, I could notice a tad bit of low end loss. Common complaint with a lot of people on a variety of brands. People claim it is all in my head. But, It bugs me even to this day. Even my wife noticed it.

try the carven set up! I will probably swap this summer. :)

Last edited:

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Hmmmm.... , I never noticed that ?

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum!

I went with a full cat back on my last Ram, only because I intended to sell the stock system. I bought an MBRP cat back for $500, and sold my stock system for $300. There is no advantage to a cat back. The pipe size stays the same, might as well just swap the muffler.

Except a catback system won't have resonators.....a shop can handle that though if that's the direction you go.....

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Except a catback system won't have resonators.....a shop can handle that though if that's the direction you go.....
Yes that's correct, I forgot to add that in my original post lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to my local performance auto place and just straight up "played dumb" and asked what would they recommend if I wanted to get a better exhaust sound. They recommended me the exact same thing, the 14" magnaflow and the resonator delete. I scheduled the install for tomorrow. Although now I'm a bit worried as @HemiPower36 says he lost some power. Does anyone have a dyno sheet with stock vs the 14" magnaflow?

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
No dyno, but as stated, I did not notice that ?

What I did notice is the bad ass sound coming out of that 14 :)

Your gas mileage will take a noise dive as you will want to stand on it all the time ..... :happy107:

OP
OP
M

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No dyno, but as stated, I did not notice that ?

What I did notice is the bad ass sound coming out of that 14 :)

Your gas mileage will take a noise dive as you will want to stand on it all the time ..... :happy107:

Ok good. I might give them a call though and see if they can do the Y pipe mod as well just to be sure.

edit: Is anyone familiar with how difficult it is to replace the Y pipe? Secondly, can it be done after the 14" magnaflow install if I do notice performance loss or does it need to be done at the same time?

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok good. I might give them a call though and see if they can do the Y pipe mod as well just to be sure.

edit: Is anyone familiar with how difficult it is to replace the Y pipe? Secondly, can it be done after the 14" magnaflow install if I do notice performance loss or does it need to be done at the same time?

It can be done anytime, any exhaust shop can do it. Besides the log oem manifolds, the y pipe is the MOST restricting component of our exhaust system. Just get down there and take a look..... I definitely recommend doing it. My .02

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did notice some low end loss at first, but the more I drive it the better it gets as the adaptives in the pcm make changes to the software factory tune. I had this same issue in reverse with my highly modified 2004 Ram. The tune would be perfect then the damn adaptives in the pcm would screw my SCT custom tune up. Carven claims 8hp and 23 ft/lbs with this RA-X kit. The dyno sheet is on their web site. But whatever, I love the sound which was my main objective.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The stock exhaust flows amazingly well in our trucks. I doubt there will be any gain period. The other thing to remember is your stock system is stainless steal make sure the shops quoting the swap are putting stainless back in.

OP
OP
M

morty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the magnaflow 14, resonator delete, and y-pipe done today. I love it. It might just be the aggressive sound but I swear I feel a bit more kick (maybe from the y-pipe?). Who knows though since I'm not paying to have it put on the dyno.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations everyone!

edit: OMG, I'm going to be pulled over with this for sure because I can't resist hammering the gas pedal.