key off position while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
My OD switch is just under the drivers right AC vent. Going around a bend i went to turn off OD then when moving my hand away i went over a bump which cause my hand to bump the key ignition causing it to go to the Off Position. The truck switched off and the abs and airbag light came on. This was going at 35mph in heavy traffic so i after few moments deciding what to do i decided to turn over and it started right up while still in D and was able to continue on driving with zero hiccup. lights went away too.

This was yesterday afternoon.

Phew!!!!

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i bet that scared you...LOL i would have though...**** - now what

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Holy **** that would have scared me to death. I know when my TB failed and the truck shut off in traffic I was having my mind going 100000 miles a min to do a rolling restart.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
On your 2004 you can just nudge the key back while driving and it will cut power to the cluster but leave the truck running and driving. No cruse though. One reason to really look over a used truck if you are buying

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Wanna say both me and D bought our trucks new. I know I bought mine with 30 miles on it, which were to the upholstry shop and to a hockey game then to my place.

OP
OP
T

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
i bet that scared you...LOL i would have though...**** - now what

Holy **** that would have scared me to death. I know when my TB failed and the truck shut off in traffic I was having my mind going 100000 miles a min to do a rolling restart.

It was close to one of those "pucker up" moments but the Pumpkin came through.

On your 2004 you can just nudge the key back while driving and it will cut power to the cluster but leave the truck running and driving. No cruse though. One reason to really look over a used truck if you are buying

Good to know as you also lose the cluster when you do the on/off key cycle trick to bypass the governor.

The engine was def' off though as it was coasting with no acceleration response in addition to zero exhaust
note.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
That can certainly cause the heart to skip a beat... When we were rearended in Calgary during rushour on the Dearfoot (8 Lane main artery), it spun us around and killed the truck. I regained my bearings from spinning... now facing the traffic I was traveling with, heading towards me and my family. Luckly we weren't hit again. It took a couple tries to start the truck to pull off the road...