Key tumbler hangs up on column gear shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David McAndrews

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I'm having a problem with my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with automatic transmission. The key tumbler will not align to allow for removal of the key until the column gear shifter is shoved tighter towards the park position.

It doesn't feel like this is an issue with the ignition switch or key tumbler... it feels like a mechanical blockage between the column gear shifter and key tumbler.

The column shifter seems tight enough (not a lot of play), but it also does not seem to go fully into the park position. Most noticeable is the faded orange spot where the gear indicator would show for park is showing a lot more bright orange these days (brighter from the top side - which again seems to indicate it is not going fully into the normal park position). No other problems are being experienced with the column shifter. Each gear works fine and it does not slip out of gear.

I haven't pulled the steering column cover yet, but I thought I would throw this out here to see what folks think. Any ideas or suggestions? I've included a video so you can see what is happening.

OP
OP
David McAndrews

David McAndrews

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Thanks for the reply chopperman1... I took a closer look over the weekend, and followed the linkage from the column shifter through the firewall - and I don't see any way to adjust or tighten up the linkage. The only screw I found is on the linkage where it attaches to the frame under the engine compartment. It is fairly rusty - not sure if I will be able to adjust it. I guess I may need to replace this part if I can determine what it is called exactly. Time to bust out the naval jelly and see what I can do!

2018-02-18 13.36.56_1996_dodge_ram_shifter_linkage_undercarriage.jpg

foxtrotter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12 valve
Thanks for the reply chopperman1... I took a closer look over the weekend, and followed the linkage from the column shifter through the firewall - and I don't see any way to adjust or tighten up the linkage. The only screw I found is on the linkage where it attaches to the frame under the engine compartment. It is fairly rusty - not sure if I will be able to adjust it. I guess I may need to replace this part if I can determine what it is called exactly. Time to bust out the naval jelly and see what I can do!

View attachment 121041

foxtrotter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12 valve
I’m having the same problem that you have to push the auto trans gear shifter toward the dash, for the ignition key tumbler to allow key to come out & also go into accessory position for radio… Not a key or ignition lock issue, have a video, but site not letting me upload.
After pulled the dash plastic covers off, can see wear in steering column piece, that looks non serviceable, can someone give me pointers on finding a new steering column part # or place to get one…? Or how to fix that play it has & make so don’t have to move up to Park & push selector towards the dash…
Thanks

Attachments

• 2D85594E-CCCD-4A18-AD96-85649B140CA1.jpeg
    2D85594E-CCCD-4A18-AD96-85649B140CA1.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 4
  • E4916ABD-9D3F-4235-B263-F04B6539CF2E.jpeg
    E4916ABD-9D3F-4235-B263-F04B6539CF2E.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 4
  • 0E5A6DA0-A35A-441F-9998-EB90518943CB.jpeg
    0E5A6DA0-A35A-441F-9998-EB90518943CB.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 4