Key works in ignition but not door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have owned my 2006 Ram 1500 for about a 1 1/2 weeks. I bought it with one key and had two keys cut and programmed at a local locksmith. The original key works fine in ignition and door but the two new keys only work in the ignition. The locksmith says that I will have to change out door lock because it is worn, but if the factory keys works and the duplicates were cut from that key shouldnt they work as well? It doesnt make any since and I had copies made because I was worried about locking the one key inside.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Usually they will work if cut from a worn key that works in the worn lock cylinder.... but sometimes the cut keys won't work. We have a full locksmith shop at the company I work for and have cut lots of keys. We never guarantee keys cut from a really worn original and recommend having the lock re-pinned.

OP
OP
nuts4hotwheels
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have seen door locks online for around $50. Can I make these aftermarket locks match the ignition key or will the door have a different key like the old days?

OP
OP
nuts4hotwheels
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Update: I had Home Depot cut a basic key without a transponder to use on door and it works perfectly. So, I assume that the locksmith did something wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk