Kicker Amplifier Wiring Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aikido187

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am wanting to install the Kicker KX800.5 amplifier and a Kicker Front Row DSP. I think I have all the wiring figured out except for the front speakers. I'm running Kicker KS35 3-1/2 in the dash and Kicker 6.5 components in the front door. I am not sure if I want to just tap into the factory wire or run new wire, and that's where I need help. I'm confused because the front door speakers and front panel speakers are wired together. Anybody got any advice?

cdavisunlimited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just so I understand, your goal is to run all these front speakers off the new Amp, and leave the rear speakers stock, is that right?

If so, I'd say definitely run separate wires and you'll have enough channels to run each speaker/set on their own channel at 4 ohms.

OP
OP
A

Aikido187

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was wanting to run 2 channels for the front doors and dash. I would be running the other 2 channels to the 6 x 9s in the rear.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 4-channel part of that amp is a 50x4 (@ 4 ohm) and a 100x4 (@ 2 ohm). Running the front together will give you a 2 ohm load which will produce 200 watts for the front speakers. This will work fine just whatever you do don't bridge the front channels of the amp. The back will just be wired as normal (One speaker to each back output) at a 4 ohm load. This will give you 50 watts to all 6 speakers. I worked in car stereo for 10 yrs and have always been a fan of running new wires as the factory normally uses small gauge wire, and I like to use either 14 ga or 16 ga, but its more work. You'll probably be fine using the factory wire.

OP
OP
A

Aikido187

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks CarolinaMan1500. That is exactly what I needed to know. Just so I'm clear on one thing, I would need to wire up the front speakers parallel?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea wire the left dash speaker and the left door speaker parallel to the first channel then do the same for the left side.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless the dash speakers have a crossover built into them, you will probably toast them. I would not recommend doing that with out at least a crossover. Still wouldn't recommend it anyways, but a crossover is a must.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats true adrian I wasn't even thinking bout the speaker size. Those might get fried on that amp. MIght be better to leave them on the factory radio.

cdavisunlimited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 4-channel part of that amp is a 50x4 (@ 4 ohm) and a 100x4 (@ 2 ohm). Running the front together will give you a 2 ohm load which will produce 200 watts for the front speakers. This will work fine just whatever you do don't bridge the front channels of the amp. The back will just be wired as normal (One speaker to each back output) at a 4 ohm load. This will give you 50 watts to all 6 speakers. I worked in car stereo for 10 yrs and have always been a fan of running new wires as the factory normally uses small gauge wire, and I like to use either 14 ga or 16 ga, but its more work. You'll probably be fine using the factory wire.

Exactly. You beat me to it but I was going to say the same thing since the Amp is rated down to 2 ohms.

I share the concern about running such a large amount of power to the dash speakers. The easiest thing might be to just put some bass blockers in-line to those wires. As long as you filter out anything below probably 300 hz, you'll probably be ok.

OP
OP
A

Aikido187

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Kicker KS 3.5s are rated for 50 watts rms. If I wire the front door left speaker in parallel with the front dash left speaker and then the same thing on the right side I will be pushing 50 watts a piece to the door speakers and 50 watts a piece to the dash speakers. Please somebody let me know if I am missing anything. I do think I will install some bass blockers in line with the 3.5s. You all have been really helpful, please keep the info coming.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Kicker KS 3.5s are rated for 50 watts rms. If I wire the front door left speaker in parallel with the front dash left speaker and then the same thing on the right side I will be pushing 50 watts a piece to the door speakers and 50 watts a piece to the dash speakers. Please somebody let me know if I am missing anything. I do think I will install some bass blockers in line with the 3.5s. You all have been really helpful, please keep the info coming.

TRUE....but they are only 3 1/2 inch speakers. So treble and high mid's are really all you want out of those. There kinda "Filler" speakers. Let your other speakers and sub(s) do the base work.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just re-read you have components. You truck would sound MUCH better without the 3.5s and just the run the components with the tweeters in the 3.5 spot. I would also bridge the components off the 800.5, and run the rears off the deck. You would be very happy.