Kicker speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glenn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
Hey guys. I have a quick question. I just traded in my 2014 Big Horn for a 2017 Rebel. I had upgraded my stock system with all kicker stuff. Sub, components in door, coaxials in back. Sounded awesome. I took all the gear out. Question is, my Rebel has the Alpine System. Totally underwhelmed with the sound. Can someone tell me if there is any issue to swap out the speakers with all my Kicker gear? And what would you recommend with the pathetic Alpine Sub. Leave it, take it out? Thanks for the help.

kylo69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depending on the version of kicker speakers you have they should fit (you may have to use spacers on the doors).

As far as the Woofer goes, for replacing the stock 8" DVC, I would suggest looking at a Pioneer TS-SW2002d2 for the money, if you replace the stock woofer box, you could get a kicker 8" or 10" sub back there also if you check the depth, however you should add another amp to the woofer at that point.

Check out my thread on the Sound Testing / Upgrading your speakers.

Read the sections of: Acoustic Factor, True Speaker Sound Quality and Ohm Factor.

What Ohms are your kicker speakers? Are you going to use the Alpine AMP or swap it?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can't swap the Alpine amp. The Kickers will need to be 2ohms for it to be worth your time, and I do not believe the Ram Kicker sub set up works with the Alpine system.

kylo69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can't swap the Alpine amp. The Kickers will need to be 2ohms for it to be worth your time, and I do not believe the Ram Kicker sub set up works with the Alpine system.

Swap...You can, it's really not that difficult, just time consuming.

Maybe in his setup, Bypass would have been a better word to use or, like I said add another amp for the sub using an RCA aftermarket adapter behind the head unit. (there are several you can buy).

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Alpine Amp receives volume digitally (through Can-Bus). At this time you can only add an amp after the Alpine (well only if you want volume to be controlled through the head unit). His LOC would need to go at the subwoofer outputs of the Alpine amp.

This will change in 1st quarter of next year when the Rockford DRS-1 launches, but that would be overkill for just adding a subwoofer lol.

kylo69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Alpine Amp receives volume digitally (through Can-Bus). At this time you can only add an amp after the Alpine (well only if you want volume to be controlled through the head unit). His LOC would need to go at the subwoofer outputs of the Alpine amp.

This will change in 1st quarter of next year when the Rockford DRS-1 launches, but that would be overkill for just adding a subwoofer lol.

Actually you can use this from JL Audio if you want to, but it's pricey.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still doesn't fix the volume problem, unless you use the supplied volume knob from JL. The FIX is a great unit though.

kylo69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Adrianp, do you have any experience with a deeper sub than the Pioneer on the factory Alpine amp as Glenn is asking?

The reason I'm asking, is that I'm wondering if the newer Sundown SD3 8" series would sound good in the factory box and factory amp. Depth dimensions / Box porting recommendations look promising, since the Alpine has a 4" depth (give or take). Thinking about this one for myself.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not much - I can say I tried to put in a JBL GTO8 and it was about 3/4" too deep. Upon pulling the specs for both - I could say with confidence the Sundown would not fit without a spacer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Glenn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
What I actually have is the Kicker KSS65 components for front and the KSC69 coaxials for the back. They both say 4 ohm on the box. I also have the 10" Kicker Sub that comes in the box specifically made for the Ram that mounts under the drivers side rear seat. It comes with its own amp.

When I had it in my last Ram (standard system), I just swapped out the stock speakers. No new amp or anything, but it did make a world of difference.

So, my question is can I do the same thing with the Alpine Set up? I know it comes with a crappy sub, so should I disconnect it? I also believe the Alpine system has a center speaker in the dash. I'm not looking for competition sound. It all sounded great in my last truck. Just wondered if there are any issues dealing with the Alpine System.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tons of issues lol. You cannot disconnect it. You can try just swapping in the speakers and see how it works for you though.