Knocking when at low rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fxnytro17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Engine
2013 sport,

If I’m going over a hill with the engine in (for example) 6th gear, straining at a low rpm, it will start knocking badly. It doesn’t happen on the highway because the Rpms don’t get low enough. I’m talking like 1000-1200. Sounds like a diesel CAT ! Once I change the rpm or switch gears or whatever it stops.
No engine troubles as of now at 166xxx kms. (Knock on wood)
Anybody with the same issue?

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2013 sport,

If I’m going over a hill with the engine in (for example) 6th gear, straining at a low rpm, it will start knocking badly. It doesn’t happen on the highway because the Rpms don’t get low enough. I’m talking like 1000-1200. Sounds like a diesel CAT ! Once I change the rpm or switch gears or whatever it stops.
No engine troubles as of now at 166xxx kms. (Knock on wood)
Anybody with the same issue?

Sounds like the MDS, mine does something similar when i try to cruise at about 50 on level ground, feels like your in a manual transmission in 5th gear doing about 40. Lugging? Is this it. I just try to avoid doing 50, slower or faster is good.

OP
OP
fxnytro17

fxnytro17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Engine
Sounds like the MDS, mine does something similar when i try to cruise at about 50 on level ground, feels like your in a manual transmission in 5th gear doing about 40. Lugging? Is this it. I just try to avoid doing 50, slower or faster is good.
It could be he mds. But it’s definitely a hard engine knock. It hasn’t happened on the flat, it’s always on an up slope. It’s like it should drop back but I’m not pushing the throttle that extra little bit to get it to change gears. This is always in auto as well. I’ll try using the gear selector and see. If it happens in that then I guess it’s not the mds.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It could be he mds. But it’s definitely a hard engine knock. It hasn’t happened on the flat, it’s always on an up slope. It’s like it should drop back but I’m not pushing the throttle that extra little bit to get it to change gears. This is always in auto as well. I’ll try using the gear selector and see. If it happens in that then I guess it’s not the mds.
Turn you're MDS off, then try it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Never mind, I just realized you had a six speed, don't know if you can.

AZmtns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2012 has a “flutter” at 1100-1200 rpm. When I turn on tow/haul it doesn’t do it. I figure it’s the MDS. It is definitely not a hard knock though.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My question is why, why are you running in 6th gear at that low of rpm? There is no point to it at all. That's deffinately not where you're torque or hp is at. Sounds more like a transmission issue not downshifting like it should.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fxnytro17

fxnytro17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Engine
Yes it is a 6 speed. It is the mds that I knocking. When going over a hill today(in auto) it ran to the low rpms again and I let it struggle over the hill instead of giving it more gas, it started knocking. So I knocked the shifter over to the gear selector and the knocking stopped instantly. With the gear selector mds turns off. The truck was in 5th gear not 6th.
I have the hemifever tune so the gear changes are all different from stock. And if you know how to drive your vehicle you can almost choose when to let it change gears by the way you use the throttle.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it is a 6 speed. It is the mds that I knocking. When going over a hill today(in auto) it ran to the low rpms again and I let it struggle over the hill instead of giving it more gas, it started knocking. So I knocked the shifter over to the gear selector and the knocking stopped instantly. With the gear selector mds turns off. The truck was in 5th gear not 6th.
I have the hemifever tune so the gear changes are all different from stock. And if you know how to drive your vehicle you can almost choose when to let it change gears by the way you use the throttle.
If you know how to drive you're vehicle why not let it shift so it don't knock.... Just sayin. I don't care what tune you have, intentionally letting it knock isn't doing it any good.

OP
OP
fxnytro17

fxnytro17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Engine
It’s not intentional, I’ve noticed it from time to time. Today when I done it, yes that was intentional just to figure out what was making the knocking now I know. Thanks

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you've got a hemi fever tune how come you're MDS is still working? I thought that was one of the first things accomplished by a tune was to shut off MDS.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you sure you’re Tune is loaded?

I have a HF Tune. I don’t think it will let me chug around @ 1100 rpm.

OP
OP
fxnytro17

fxnytro17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Engine
Yes it loaded. He asked if I wanted mds turned off but I said no. I could always do that myself if I wanted.
If (for example) I can make it over a hill on the hwy doing around 110-120 kms/hr in 6th gear I let the truck do it. Why let it down shift, depending on driving mood I guess. The exhaust gives off this rumble and it saves a little gas.

The original part of this post was something that happened maybe once or twice. And I noticed it. It is not something I do on a regular basis. Yes going over a steep hill it backshifts and does it’s thing.
I’m done trying to explain this.
Thanks for the feedback guys. This forum is great, honestly.

OP
OP
fxnytro17

fxnytro17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Engine
Are you sure you’re Tune is loaded?

I have a HF Tune. I don’t think it will let me chug around @ 1100 rpm.

I know compared to stock, and the original diablo 91 octane tune it’s not as bad. But yes if I use the throttle a certain way I can get it to go down to at least 1100 doing around 50kms/hr(I’m guessing) and I believe its in 5th gear.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Turn MDS off & solve your problem, you will get better gas mileage & performance with MDS off.

OP
OP
fxnytro17

fxnytro17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Engine
Turn MDS off & solve your problem, you will get better gas mileage & performance with MDS off.
Didn’t think that was true but it’s worth a try. Gas mileage I mean.
Thanks