LA for Magnum Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deblackmon3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 318
If you guys remember my thread from a few weeks ago, I was having trouble with my LA 318. I took the engine out yesterday, which was incredibly annoying considering all the smog pipes and that the torque converter didn't want to turn for the longest time (had to bust out a crow bar and turn it by hand for like 30 minutes to get all the bolts off). Until I can rebuild the 318 I'm thinking about just buying a Magnum as a stand-in. Is there any major systems that need to be updated/replaced for a magnum to work? I have a '90 D150 TBI.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The Magnum will drop right into place, however you're going to need to swap over all your TBI crap including the intake manifold. You're actually almost better off (IMO) in just waiting till the LA is rebuilt or getting a Magnum parts truck and do a full Magnum swap into your truck.

OP
OP
Deblackmon3

Deblackmon3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 318
The Magnum will drop right into place, however you're going to need to swap over all your TBI crap including the intake manifold. You're actually almost better off (IMO) in just waiting till the LA is rebuilt or getting a Magnum parts truck and do a full Magnum swap into your truck.

See, I WOULD rebuild it and then put it in later, but I need to get my truck to be drive-able asap. I don't have another car to drive and I need something for transportation. How much time would it take to do a full swap would you wager?

If I don't get a Magnum, it would be a switch to a 318 carb, but that would still require swapping the intake and all that junk... Ughhh.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
See, I WOULD rebuild it and then put it in later, but I need to get my truck to be drive-able asap. I don't have another car to drive and I need something for transportation. How much time would it take to do a full swap would you wager?

If I don't get a Magnum, it would be a switch to a 318 carb, but that would still require swapping the intake and all that junk... Ughhh.
Yeah, but here is the thing, a stock Magnum makes 50+ more horsepower and torque than a LA. Not only that, but it can be made to go faster with less mods and takes to carbing rather well.

It would take a while I'd imagine. lol Could probably done in a week if you take your time.

I'd advise you wait around for crazzywolfie to weigh in.

OP
OP
Deblackmon3

Deblackmon3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 318
Yeah, but here is the thing, a stock Magnum makes 50+ more horsepower and torque than a LA. Not only that, but it can be made to go faster with less mods and takes to carbing rather well.

It would take a while I'd imagine. lol Could probably done in a week if you take your time.

I'd advise you wait around for crazzywolfie to weigh in.

crazzywolfie is the like master of first gen xD

84D100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pulled a stock 318 out and put a small cammed carbed magnum 318 in my truck I love it! Truck runs great still gets pretty good MPG when I keep my foot out of it.

88rambigblock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985, 1988, 2001
Engine
1970 coded 440 big block
the swap is very simple. 1st get a carb intake manifold for the magnum motor, and carb. if the exhaust doesn't line up then take it to your local exhaust shop.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i completely missed this thread. depends which way you want to go. if you want to keep things fairly simple get a carbed intake and get an adapter plate to bolt your throttle body to.

now if you want to go MPFI then things get a bit more complicated because you will most likely have to build a custom harness to run the engine.

DodgeAddict

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Here's how a Magnum looks when done with a Performer RPM & factory Magnum serpentine drive using A/C lines & compressor from a 92-93 truck

Attachments

• SAM_3662.jpg
    SAM_3662.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,608
  • SAM_2935.JPG
    SAM_2935.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,897
  • SAM_3659.jpg
    SAM_3659.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 2,955
Last edited:
OP
OP
Deblackmon3

Deblackmon3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 318
Here's how a Magnum looks when done with a Performer RPM & factory Magnum serpentine drive using A/C lines & compressor from a 92-93 truck

Wow... it looks so small in there haha. That definitely looks easier to do than trying to get the electrical set up properly.

DodgeAddict

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I made mine difficult but really it's a walk in the park

My thread on my RamCharger shows the tricks to doing it

DodgeAddict

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'll be putting the RamCharger's present engine in my CrewCab & the RC will go fuelie 5.2 Magnum using a 92 Canyon Sport as a complete donor for wiring, dash, everything

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock