Leaning truck - Spohn Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys

I have a 15 rt. Had a 2/4 964sp kit installed weeks ago. Let it settle, then installed MCG spindles. Had to make a lot of cuts to bell tech springs to get the rear end down, but i got it fine and all was well. Shotting for a 4/5 drop

Today i installed the Spohn upper and lower Arms, along with there panhard bar.

The axle shifted over to the passenger side quiet badly, probably 2". So we adjusted the pan hard bar to centre the axles....but heres where it gets weird. As we adjust the pan hard bar, it pulls the suspension down on the driver side, and lifts the passenger side....

Its very drastic, Id say the driver side is 4" lower then the passenger side when adjusted..... Trucks undriveable and I left it at the shop in the meantime....WTF is going on here. Its like the Panhard is binding the suspension, or the arms are crooked or some ****...

We can't for the life of us figure out what is going on....anyone provide some insight?

Last edited:

cjacks519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I have a similar issue and in your other thread I was talking about rotating my coils in the perch.

Bad thing is I'm now wondering if it's the same problem you're having instead of just an issue with coil clock.

I'm only at 2/4 so could be why its not as pronounced. I have about 1/2"-3/4" difference up front. Never thought to check it with the rear end off centered

Also hoping someone has some insight on this...

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a bt 2/4 and i cut 1 coil off the tops of the rear. Now the passenger side sits about a 1/2" higher than the driver. Both bottow pigtails are clocked facing straight back at the bumper.

OP
OP
bgray

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you look at alot of pictures, TONS of rams are higher on passenger side. Ive done alot of research the last few days, and almost all of them appear that way.

This morning I removed all the arms, put new coils in the back, and removed the spindles so its at 2/4 again. The 4" drop in the front was rubbing the inner fenders badly at the TOP, and being my daily driver that will see snow use, I said **** it and left it at 2/4. Im going to call spohn and see if they any have info and I will report back.

Last edited:

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you look at alot of pictures, TONS of rams are higher on driver side. Ive done alot of research the last few days, and almost all of them appear that way.

This morning I removed all the arms, put new coils in the back, and removed the spindles so its at 2/4 again. The 4" drop in the front was rubbing the inner fenders badly at the TOP, and being my daily driver that will see snow use, I said **** it and left it at 2/4. Im going to call spohn and see if they any have info and I will report back.

From the factory the driverside has different springs from passenger to compensate for the weight of a full gas tank. Each side has different allignment specs too. The belltech springs arent side specific. In my case the driverside is lower.

OP
OP
bgray

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sorry i meant to say Lower on the drive side, I'll edit that.

Spoke to spohn...they are baffled. Hes going to call me back

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On a unrelated question, what tire size are you running and what clearancing of the inner fenders?

OP
OP
bgray

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stock 285/45r22.

For the front on a 4" Drop, you would need to removed the inner liner(or section it) hammer the fender and brackets up.

MY 2 sierras are mini tubbed for low stance and big wheels, but being my daily driver I said **** it. I need the truck to be stone cold reliable, work properly for me. I tend to take my modifications to far, and it hurts usability. So back to 2/4 and just drive it like that

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't like the idea of no inner fenders on the daily driver... I'm thinking of fabing up some sheet metal to clear on mine. Not sure the drop I have (previous owner install) but I get excessive contact with the inner fender mostly on the the right side. Drives me nuts

OP
OP
bgray

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yah its defiently doable with making a custom setup, modifying the **** out of it ETC

Just for me with this dodge its not worth it

cjacks519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On a unrelated question, what tire size are you running and what clearancing of the inner fenders?
I'm running 285/35/24. Only rubs at the top of the wheel well if I hit a big dip/bump in the road going too fast (usually because I wasn't paying attention or didn't see it coming).

Haven't officially measured the clearance though

cjacks519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At first I thought rear coils and 4-link was a good thing, but the more I tinker with it, the more I sure do miss a leaf spring rear end

Flip kit and done!

OP
OP
bgray

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Both my slammed sierras run better, and have way more ability lowered then my dodge does. Oooo we'll it's just a daily driver, still love the rest of it tho.

My tires rubbed the top of the inner fender. After maybe 100km it was worn through the plastics.

The Q

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like your track bar isn't parallel with the rear axle. I have the Spohn adjustable upper and lower control arms along with their track bar. When we set the thrust angle you could see the frame shift with the adjustments. I was curious about wether my truck sat level after the lowering too. While on the alinement rack I put a bubble level on the bumper and tailgate and the level was spot on. I could see where if the track bar wasn't parallel it might cause the frame to skew, but that's just an uneducated guess :)

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds like your track bar isn't parallel with the rear axle. I have the Spohn adjustable upper and lower control arms along with their track bar. When we set the thrust angle you could see the frame shift with the adjustments. I was curious about wether my truck sat level after the lowering too. While on the alinement rack I put a bubble level on the bumper and tailgate and the level was spot on. I could see where if the track bar wasn't parallel it might cause the frame to skew, but that's just an uneducated guess :)

Mine is parallel with the axle and my driverside is lower.

The Q

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is parallel with the axle and my driverside is lower.

I've read on other forums that some have solved this problem by either spinning the springs (re-clocking) in their seats or switching the springs (left to right and right to left). Someone posted that BellTech told them there is a left and right front spring. Guess I got lucky when I installed mine :)

cjacks519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM Sport Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've read on other forums that some have solved this problem by either spinning the springs (re-clocking) in their seats or switching the springs (left to right and right to left). Someone posted that BellTech told them there is a left and right front spring. Guess I got lucky when I installed mine :)
I wish I could find some solid info on spring clock and location for our trucks. I've searched for weeks and can't find anything

Trial and error on coil springs really sucks considering the labor involved. But, what choice do I have??? I gotta get it right considering I still want to go lower

Would've been nice to have a bit of your luck!

OP
OP
bgray

bgray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From my experience, an the pure baffled response from Spohn, there's something gone askew. I told him the truck was around 5-6" drop out back, ad he had no reference to wether they have any clients that low on the arms. Something is obviously binding. With no coils in the truck, and the weight off the rear end the truck was still getting pulled and pushed in the air.

I tried it with the panharf in stock and Belltech bracket. Same results

I wish I (or spohn) had an answer to why this happened. But as I said being my daily and realizing I just need to keep it simple I yank the arms and spindles to sell them . Settle at 2/4 and be done with it

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7

The factory springs are side specific but im pretty sure the belltechs are not. Atleast it didnt say so in the instructions. Mine disnt become noticeable til i cut a coil off the rear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye