LED 3rd brake light conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmyork88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi w/eTorque
I just bought a 16 2500 big horn that came with incandescent tails and 3rd brake light. I already purchased the new laramie LED tails and pigtails w/ resistors but now id like to see about matching the high mount lamp. Any ideas (sorry if it was written up already)

Also, anyway to switch to 3rd lamp LED and camera? and im assuming it would need to be dealer flashed?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Yes you can add the LED chmsl cam, not cheap though. The easiest ways are using a lockpick or Jailbreak form customtronix.
http://www.ramforum.com/f41/third_brake_light_failed_--_dealer_only_work-65960/index2.html see posts 16, 18 & 19

Currently the OEM CHMSL cams are selling for around $275.00
The harness will cost you around $ 75.00
The lockpick will cost you around $425.00
RAX Jailbreak will cost you around $260.00 (silver)

You could buy the whole shebang fro Customtronix in their gold package for 699.99 euro or 790.00 us which also will include a front cam. The customtronix jailbreak is the most factory like and will actually add the softkey to the radio for the cargo cam.

Under Dash | Customtronix
The lock pick is more of a piggyback type system but offers more capabilities, but either way its exspensive. The other issue you may have is getting a brake light bulb out error, several ways to correct that as well. I designed a built a PNP error correction plug for that, using no resistors.
http://www.ramforum.com/f146/mopar_...light_cargo_cam_all_trucks-50773/index18.html

Being a 2016 you may be able to have the dealer add it for you. On 2013-2015 trucks equipped with both tailgate and CHMSL cams the BU cam was displayed in the rearview mirror, and the dealers could not do a OEM install. On the 2016 I am told RAM got smart and enabled the cam port in the radio similar to the RAX jailbreak and they display both in the radio.

Last edited:

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
I have the factory cargo cam and I can turn it on anytime.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

stretch78681

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 squirrel cage
I just bought a 16 2500 big horn that came with incandescent tails and 3rd brake light. I already purchased the new laramie LED tails and pigtails w/ resistors but now id like to see about matching the high mount lamp. Any ideas (sorry if it was written up already)

Also, anyway to switch to 3rd lamp LED and camera? and im assuming it would need to be dealer flashed?

I bought/installed new LED taillights & Cargo/Cyclops. The cargo/cyclops brake light were very bright. The problem was the lens was clear and the light beams went right over the bed. OEM incandescent lights were better, so, I replaced the OEM bulbs with Sylvania ZEVO 921W high power LEDs. The brake light is now a ZEVO 921R. Make certain the full LED replacements have fluted lenses!

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
This was one of the reasons I went with the OEM mopar LED 3rd brake light, the other being the camera. I find it lights up the bed very well. When the weather breaks going to add bed lighting as well.