LED light problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ok so i just got my interior leds installed yesterday. So I got out tonight for a ride and notice a few things. One is the map lights wont come on unless i open the door or turn all interior lights on by the switch. I cant just click one on. Second is and i did not notice this last night is that while driving the lights stay on but are really dim. and also when i get out and lock the truck the lights dim but dont fully shut off. None of this was happening before the led swap. Any one know how to fix this?

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
For the cargo lights to stay dim is normal for LEDs. Mine do that too and so does other's I know. No fix for it that I'm aware of but mine go off fully in about 10 min or so.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The dim light problem is pretty common. The switch doesn't completly open so a little bit of power leaks through
Its not a problem with incandescent bulbs but the LEDs use minimal current

OP
OP
reefguy89

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ok thats not enought to kil my battery is it. cause my truck sits for most of the week. Really only gets used on the weekends. But what about not being able to turn a single map light on?

enerside

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would think you could wire in a relay to kill power for the cargo lights. Standard SPDT relay should fix it, unless the stray power is enough to keep the relay on.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
You need resistors in parallel with the lights. But a 5 pack of 450 ohm 1/2 watt or whatever from RadioShack, and push the two leads up into the light socket with the led.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
thats weird. My interior LEDs go completely off when off. Since you have a 2004 you might have a door switch somewhere that is worn out and isn't working properly anymore.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Oh. And buy extras. You'll probably have to replace them every 6 months or so. Maybe less considering you said the truck is a weekend truck. I had the exact same problem as you, except when mine did come on they flickered.

OP
OP
reefguy89

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You need resistors in parallel with the lights. But a 5 pack of 450 ohm 1/2 watt or whatever from RadioShack, and push the two leads up into the light socket with the led.

will that fix the map light on problem?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Yes. It'll make them act as normal lights. Mine stayed dim when off, flickered, and sometimes wouldn't work at all before the resistors.

Asbury2828

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Led Cargo Light Problem

I have a 2011 Ram 1500. I've read many posts about LED cargo light problems. What I'm having a problem with is this... when I unlock my truck both cargo lights light up very bright, as they should. They then dim down to where they barely glow. Then one of them shuts completely off while the other one glows. So when I'm driving at night only one of the lights glow. Whenever I push the button in the truck to turn cargo lights on, they both work and are bright. But when they dim and glow only one works. It's very confusing and I can't figure out why. So when I get out of my truck, and lock the doors one light glows for about a minute until it goes off while the other one never glows. Any help would be great!