LEO in the making...

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by lone12star, Dec 5, 2013.

1. lone12star

lone12star Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Alright so in about a year I plan on going into the academy to become a law enforcement officer, and I'm looking for a decent sidearm. I currently have an XD9 and a Sig SP2022 in 9mm, I am wanting to go with a .40 cal, I am debating between the Glock 22, S&W M&P, XD40, Sig SP2022 in .40, or the Sig P226 in .40. What are y'all's opinions? Just wondering what y'all have shot and is decent for y'all so I can test em out. I understand this is a truck forum but I don't want to join a gun forum, I've been in one and I'm not going back there lol. So if y'all could help me that would be great, and if there are any LEO's out there please share what you guys use and what opinions you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2. Brakelate

Brakelate Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2013 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Ignore all the other bullshXt that is sure to come along and just carry what you are comfortable with. I would rather have a partner who is confident and capable with a pea shooter than one who carries a cannon and cannot hit shit or is afraid to pull it when the time comes.

That said, despite my early reluctance to go with a "rubber gun" (I went through the academy back in the old days with a .38 revolver LOL) after carrying S&W 9mm's, Sig .40 and others, I eventually went with the Glock .45 for Uniformed duty use. Big and Heavy, but it works. With modern double stack set ups, you get 9mm type magazine capacity, with heavy stopping power and decent penetration. But it is a boat anchor to run around with.

But, I always carried too much shit for 25 years anyway. Knifes, back up pistol and all the other shit, why not add a big Pistol and heavy ammo to the mix. I stopped running after idiots long ago, and if I went in the water it would have to be a pretty serious (and odd) scenario in the first place. Might as well sink with all the proper gear, right ?

I never did really like the .40 . Too many odd stove pipes, mis fires and things like that. Plus, who wants to really dig around trying not to stuff the wrong cal bullet in the magazine while hand loading from a open bucket of ammo at the range. You ever see a 9mm round expand in a .40 chamber? Interesting to say the least...no not me BTW.

So get what feels good to you. Something that fits your hand, your body frame and you can shoot with confidence. Too many variables out there for any "One" correct solution for everybody, or every scenario.

Good luck in your career. I just wrapped mine up out in LA County CA and relocated. Time flies. It can be a crazy, fun, exciting and rewarding experience, if you can avoid getting hurt and survive the internal / political bullshxt. If not, it can be a long, hard road.

;)

*I don't think I have ever revealed my previous employment on any forum board. Sorry for the negativity. Soak this in and keep yer chin up till you get your own tin Star! It is not something many people can (or would) do for very long, let alone a full 20+ years.

http://youtu.be/x_wLVCLPx0M

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    CKH likes this.
  3. Cruizer

Cruizer 4th GEN Site MOD Staff Member

Ram Year:
    2010 Sport 4x4 QC
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    You're going to get a lot of opinions, but only you can decide the best gun to suit your needs. Get some time in at a range with the options you're looking into. Find what is comfortable and what you can shoot the best with. Kudos on your decision to serve the public. Don't think I could deal with it, too many crazies and stuff.

2711 likes this.
  4. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1998 Ram 1500
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    Kudos to you sir.

Can never go wrong in LE with Glock. You're more likely to have magazines in the department with glock. I personally LOVE Sigs, but I hate their capacity and in LE you need capacity. So I'd stick with Glock and Smith, idk what the cap is on the XD.

5. DanielSix26

DanielSix26 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I've never been in LE but it's my understanding that a lot of dept's require a particular gun or a select few that their armorer is certified in or stocks parts for. Buying one before your hired may be a waste of money.

2711 likes this.
  6. Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I run 2 Glock 40's and my wife shoots an M&P 40 for IDPA, they're all good guns. Here's my recommendation (I'm military, my father LEO). Become very proficient with the 2 guns you already have. Most departments up here issue the weapon they want you to carry and will tell you what's authorized for backup and off duty use. I would wait to buy another gun to fit that role till you're picked up by a department and find out what their policy's are. This way you can use that money you would spend on another gun for ammo and range time, then buy the next piece once you're on the job. Good luck!

2711 and Bigdaddy like this.
  7. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Diesel Cummins
    Yep, they said it right there and good luck to you.

8. Mr.RonGilbert

Mr.RonGilbert Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Brake nailed it.

There are ranges that will allow you to shoot, I remember some in Austin but don't recall the names.... do some google-fu and GO SHOOT some. Find out what feels good, what works good and what shoots good. Then buy it and shoot the ever loving crap out of it.

I have owned just about every platform.... and have put a bunch of rounds down range I just plain love to shoot. I have a custom 1911 because it is what I like and got very proficient with shooting IDPA back in the day. No hate for the others.

Best of luck brother, don't ever stop learning... ever.

Quick edit...
    There is some truth to departments either issuing (a few still do) and for sure a list of weapons that are allowed. Your major brands will be on there, no doubt.

I was shooting a first gen HK USP back in the early 90s (damn I'm old) and it did well for me, I switched to a 1911 - a Les Baer to be exact... I worked many a damn extra job to save up for that weapon. I was some kind of proud.... I brought it to the range and was told at inspection that I could shoot it but could not carry it on duty. I was floored to say the least. I argued that it was a friggin' 1911. I couldn't change their mind, even after a letter to the chief. I am still pissed about that. The manufacturer was simply not on the list. I had to sell that thing but it turned out better in the long run. I went to a local gunsmith and had him build me a custom Colt 1911 and have never looked back. Thousands of rounds downrange and it just keeps shooting as good as I can possibly shoot it.

For those around Houston - Ed Vanden Berg of Vanden Berg Customs is second to none when it comes to pistols, AR platforms and combat shotguns. He is on the south east side.

Brakelate likes this.
  9. P71Ryan

P71Ryan Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    This. I'd suggest waiting until your on the job before you buy a new sidearm.

My department issues Glock 22's and we can only carry the .40 variations(22, 23,27).

2711 likes this.
  10. lone12star

lone12star Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I'm a big fan of Glock so I'm leaning towards the Glock 22, I'm already employed with the department but waiting to go to academy. We qualify with Glock 17's but have the choice to bring our own pistol to qualify with. I have the list of authorized firearms and the 22 is on there. Thank you guys for the support and advice. I'm a bigger guy and I've shot pretty much every handgun load there is, and I feel comfortable with each and every one, except for .50 lol. I think with a .40 cal I will be comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2711 likes this.