lesson learned the hard way yeah yeah I should have known

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by THETANK, Jan 16, 2015.

1. THETANK

THETANK Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 R/T
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Went out to visit my wife's sister (massive stroke) and decided to head into the boonies to do a little driving in the snow. Out of the little hamlet I headed and took very little time to find what I was looking for, deep snow. The only problem well one of a few was I found myself in a dead end and had no where to turn around , unfortunately I was forced into the cardinal rule about deep snow and that is do not stop ever. Sure enough the truck stopped in 2 feet of hard packed wind driven snow.

This is were I can admit to my IDIOTIC mistake and that is not taking a shovel, dumb dumb dumb. The snow on the right side of the truck was to the top of the tires so needless to say the frame was resting on the snow. With no shovel I used my left leg then the right leg to kick the snow away. This entailed kicking 5ft of snow in front of the truck, 7-8ft from the back and another 7-8 ft away from the drivers side to clear some room to wiggle out. I am betting I kicked the equivalent of several hundred field goals (right leg was some sore for the next few days).

Once I figured out I had enough room to exit from my stupid predicament I placed one floor mat under the rear right tire climbed in and said a little prayer, with that I hit the gas (not floored but a nice stab) and backed her up a good 200ft to a spot that would allow me to pull off a 10 point turn. Success but no way in hell I was going back to look for the floor mat, maybe next spring when the snow melts. This whole operation took approximately 2 hours, with a shovel I bet it would have taken 30 minutes max.

Being a dope for punishment I went looking for more snow, I drove next to an irrigation ditch but that was no challenge as a grader had cleared a path for an oil company to get to their wells. I then crossed a gravel road to continue along the ditch but this section was not cleared. Should I or not, ah what the hell go for it. Nailed the skinny pedal and off I went. I was hitting a steady 25mph and at times the snow was so deep the truck felt like it was starting to bog, no not again. Nope kept the foot in it and made it to the next gravel road. I had the drivers window open a bit and snow was hitting me in the face but I was not going to stop from focusing on what I was doing to put it up, not a chance.

I finally made it back to the house hours past when I said I would be back, needless to say all the relatives were more than a little concerned. A few mentioned going out to look for me but in wide open country good luck with that, to boot I was way off the beaten path. I have pics and will try and load them later (ok more like my wife). The trip back to our hometown for a half an hour at least was a tad wobbly due to all the snow paced in the rims, then there was all the snow packed in the springs well just every were. After a few days in the garage the snow all melted and left a small pond in the garage.

LESSON LEARNED and remember folks take a shovel when playing in the snow:favorites13:

Oh one thing I did not do was abuse the tranny by rocking bad and forth more than a few times, I was buried so deep it would have done nothing but ruined the 8sp lol

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. jawzs2

jawzs2 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Been there, done that, and got the T-Shirt

3. Buddy

Buddy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Lol, awsome write up!!:favorites13:

THETANK likes this.
  4. HemiRoar

HemiRoar Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi V8
    LOL a lotta funny shit happens to you

THETANK likes this.
  5. 14hemiexpress

14hemiexpress Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Happens to the best of us! Atleast you didn't have to be pulled out by a grand marquis! To make a long story short I got my dad's 4wd f-250 stuck (muddy hill and his tires were warn down highway tires) and he pulled me out with our old 92 Mercury grand marquis and it was 1 tire fire the whole time!

THETANK likes this.
  6. 2014StormTrooper

2014StormTrooper Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4x4 2003 LY Evo VIII ER Built 2.2L
    Engine:
    6.7 CTD / 4G63
    Good times lol

7. DavidRam

DavidRam Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2012 RCSB
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    That's a great story, lol! Thanks for sharing it!

8. Andy578

Andy578 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Outdoorsman
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    i've amassed an entire closet full, i just wish they came in different colours

richwoodrocket likes this.
  9. mtofell

mtofell Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    I don't know about a shovel but I learned to carry an extra set of floor mats with me :) That's too funny..... I don't know if I would have thought of that. I probably would have used my shirt or something.

10. RyanJM

RyanJM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Express RC Black Edition
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I have done that back in the day several times. Once in a state forest in MA. Other time I was in NH down the street from the ski resort doing donuts in the snow in my blazer both times and got a little stuck that time. The one if the forest was a 2 hour experience. Lucky I had my girl to drive while I pushed it after clearing some snow. Getting stuck and doing stupid things is what always makes for the interesting stories.

THETANK likes this.