Let the mod's begin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AC54ME

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star
Engine
Hemi
Thanksgiving Day - early AM:

Installed the LED's as replacements for the tail and turn lights, back- up lights and license plate lights on the new 2013 Ram 1500.

Also installed a 'light bar' - included stop and turn lights, as well as back up lights.

All before sunrise!

Nov2820132013DodgeRam1500LEDtailamplightbarlightsIMG_0093EDIT_zpseeb0a0e5.jpg

Took this one when the sun was up:

Nov2820132013DodgeRam1500LEDtailamplightbarlightsIMG_0096EDIT_zps119b4df6.jpg

Late tonight picture:

Nov2820132013DodgeRam1500steplightsIMG_0098EDIT_zpsa6944543.jpg

By day's end (or maybe weekend end) I will install:

- new headlights

- Vararam

- 'catch can'

- Diablo 'out of the box' tune

EDIT:

Here is the link to the pictures/descriptions of the other modifications:

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/modification_day_my_ram-40349/

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/more_modifications_today-40352/

cajuntec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks nice. Couldn't sleep last night? :) What is that thing under the left (drivers) side, to the left of that exhaust tip? A step? What is a Vararam and "catch can"?
All the best,
Glenn

OP
OP
A

AC54ME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Looks nice. Couldn't sleep last night? :) What is that thing under the left (drivers) side, to the left of that exhaust tip? A step? What is a Vararam and "catch can"?
All the best,
Glenn

Yep, got up early (4am) - too much noise in the kitchen area :jester:

I forgot to mention that last evening I installed the 'side step'. From a personal observation a necessity as it makes entering, and exiting, the truck bed much more easy.

The Vararam is a replacement for the OEM 'air intake'. Better all around, and 'opens' the engine compartment significantly.

The 'catch can' is a alternative to 'catch' oil that otherwise would be returned to the oil pan. It is a mod I've done on all my Corvettes, and the two Dodge Magnum SRT8's. It is well worth the money IMO.

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
nice job!

cajuntec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where did you get the side step from, how much was it, and how difficult to install? I want one!
All the best,
Glenn

Gill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How come I can't see your photos??

Disregard...they show up on the Internet browser but not on TAT.

Truck looks great, still undecided on the brake light bar. I don't think they look bad but can't decide if I want one.

Look forward to seeing your further mods.

OP
OP
A

AC54ME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Joe's 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Where did you get the side step from, how much was it, and how difficult to install? I want one!
All the best,
Glenn

The best thing to get in out of you bed, I love mine. Go through Moe's he has the best price. Very easy to install, I did mine over lunch break.

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How did you get past the lamp out messages in your evic? I installed LEDs in my license plate and tail lights and got the message. I put resistors on the tail lights and it corrected the hyper flash but the evic still says my parking lamp is out...

OP
OP
A

AC54ME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How did you get past the lamp out messages in your evic? I installed LEDs in my license plate and tail lights and got the message. I put resistors on the tail lights and it corrected the hyper flash but the evic still says my parking lamp is out...

It is necessary, from my experience with LED's as replacement bulbs for OEM ones, to install resistors in the circuit wiring.

50 watt 6 ohm will work (and I believe a Forum vendor sells these - there is a post in a thread here with the specifics, you need to do a search to find it).

EDIT; found the links:

Putco® 230004C - Ceramic LED Light Bulb Load Resistor Kit

50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors | LED Turn Signal Lights Hyper Flash Fix

Simply install them between the ground and 'positive' wires on each light circuit with the LED's.

As a caution - these resistors do generate 'heat' (watts). Be sure to locate them as to not touch other wires.

MoparMulisha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks great! I'll probably be getting a catch can come spring time when it warms up haha

OP
OP
A

AC54ME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Looks great! I'll probably be getting a catch can come spring time when it warms up haha

Be assured that your vehicle will appreciate that activity, as will your wallet by not needing to address engine issues going forward had not this modification been accomplished.

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It is necessary, from my experience with LED's as replacement bulbs for OEM ones, to install resistors in the circuit wiring.

50 watt 6 ohm will work (and I believe a Forum vendor sells these - there is a post in a thread here with the specifics, you need to do a search to find it).

EDIT; found the links:

Putco® 230004C - Ceramic LED Light Bulb Load Resistor Kit

50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors | LED Turn Signal Lights Hyper Flash Fix

Simply install them between the ground and 'positive' wires on each light circuit with the LED's.

As a caution - these resistors do generate 'heat' (watts). Be sure to locate them as to not touch other wires.

Thank you for the response. I installed resistors and it fixed the hyper flash and installed a resistor for the parking light side as well (2 per light since they are "Dual filament"). But it kind of scared me how hot they get. I was getting a reading of 150-160 degrees off of them. Is that normal? Also do I use the same 50w 6ohm resistors for the license plate lights as well? Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AC54ME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thank you for the response. I installed resistors and it fixed the hyper flash and installed a resistor for the parking light side as well (2 per light since they are "Dual filament"). But it kind of scared me how hot they get. I was getting a reading of 150-160 degrees off of them. Is that normal? Also do I use the same 50w 6ohm resistors for the license plate lights as well? Thanks!

The 'high heat' is associated with dispensation of excess wattage (equaling heat).

The temperatures you indicate are not unusual.

As I noted earlier, it is important to ensure these resistors are not touching other wiring. If needed, add wire to the existing resistor wires for the purpose of 'moving' them from any contact with wiring harness.

As a possible, almost fool proof, method to ensure this requirement is accomplished - from Home Depot, or Ace Hardware, etc. purchase 'hooks' with the open end large enough to insert the physical resistor.

The hoods should have a screw tab end - which then should be inserted/screwed in into the light housing unit (accomplished by drilling a small diameter hole in the internal housing of the lights). Then insert the resistor, and gently, with pliers squeeze the open end loop of the hook to secure the resistor.

And NO, the license lights do not require resistors as they are not connected to any other lights (circuit wise).

Question - the parking light that you added resistors to, were they causing a 'notification' on your display?

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The 'high heat' is associated with dispensation of excess wattage (equaling heat).

The temperatures you indicate are not unusual.

As I noted earlier, it is important to ensure these resistors are not touching other wiring. If needed, add wire to the existing resistor wires for the purpose of 'moving' them from any contact with wiring harness.

As a possible, almost fool proof, method to ensure this requirement is accomplished - from Home Depot, or Ace Hardware, etc. purchase 'hooks' with the open end large enough to insert the physical resistor.

The hoods should have a screw tab end - which then should be inserted/screwed in into the light housing unit (accomplished by drilling a small diameter hole in the internal housing of the lights). Then insert the resistor, and gently, with pliers squeeze the open end loop of the hook to secure the resistor.

And NO, the license lights do not require resistors as they are not connected to any other lights (circuit wise).

Question - the parking light that you added resistors to, were they causing a 'notification' on your display?

Thanks again for answering my questions. Yes the evic would say that I had a parking light out, so I had to put a resistor on that wire as well as the turn signal wires on both bulbs. I was just paranoid about the heat so I took them out, so thank you for clearing that up. I ask about the license plate lights because the evic is telling me that my license plate lights are out, so I was curious as to what resistor to use. It sounds like yours says nothing about the license plate led's? I have the 7" color evic, idk if that makes a difference.

The resistors I got have a heat sink on them as well as mounting holes, so mounting them is not an issue. These are the ones that I got:

CUTEQUEEN TRADING 4pcs 50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights or LED License Plate Lights or DRL (Fix Hyper Flash, Warning Cancellor) (pack of 4) : Amazon.com : Automotive

OP
OP
A

AC54ME

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks again for answering my questions. Yes the evic would say that I had a parking light out, so I had to put a resistor on that wire as well as the turn signal wires on both bulbs. I was just paranoid about the heat so I took them out, so thank you for clearing that up. I ask about the license plate lights because the evic is telling me that my license plate lights are out, so I was curious as to what resistor to use. It sounds like yours says nothing about the license plate led's? I have the 7" color evic, idk if that makes a difference.

The resistors I got have a heat sink on them as well as mounting holes, so mounting them is not an issue. These are the ones that I got:

CUTEQUEEN TRADING 4pcs 50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights or LED License Plate Lights or DRL (Fix Hyper Flash, Warning Cancellor) (pack of 4) : Amazon.com : Automotive

First - I really like those resistors. Going to book mark the link.

I encountered no issues with my license LED's - cannot find the order or I would give you the number and see if yours are the same.

EVIC would not be a 'cause' - manufacture of bulbs might.

Interesting issue. I am at a loss to provide an answer.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
6000K White 22 SMD No Error License Plate Light T10 147 152 159 161 W5WB W5W 92 | eBay

I used these LEDs for my reverse lights and didn't get any errors on my 2012. The web site didn't list the Ram as being compatible, but I emailed them and they said I could return them, if they didn't work.
If the bulbs you used are giving you an error, you're clearly going to have to add a resistor or try another bulb.
The resistors you linked to and already used should work fine.

Last edited:

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Looks damn good - congrats. I bolted my light bar on, didn't trust the sticky stuff.