Lift Basics for 2nd gen 4x4 Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cvec92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
New here. I have a 98 1500 as my dd. I also have a 00 offroad as a parts truck. Would there be anything special that needs to be done to swap the suspension from the donor truck to my daily.

OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Hi! Welcome to RF.

If you're just swapping the springs, no there isn't. Other than the springs very little is different other than the control arm bolts on the 2000 are larger. It would be a waste to swap arms anyway for suspension upgrades.

I would recommend some type of adjustable track bar because your axle will be a little off center.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Might also confirm it's an offroad edition if you havent. I know, sounds trivial. But it's pretty common that guys think they have an offroad edition when they really don't. Gas tank skid plate, tow hooks, front diff casting are a couple good giveaways

Cvec92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
It is the offroad decal on tail gate. I have put the gas tank skid plate on my dd

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Informative write. Thanks for posting it.

Arctic Taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Well this is great info.
Here’s the history lesson: I have an 01, 2500 CTD. bought it about 11 years ago w/95k. It came with a Ranch Hand front bumper. Was kinda nose heavy, so I went with a puck and new front shocks for starters, didn’t like it too much and after a summer of gravel road commuting ended up replacing tie rod, sway bar links, track bar almost the entire front steering wise. FFA couple years. Installed a KORE leveling kit and some of DOR control arms. Much more better handling wise.
Main truck use, towing 75% highway, 25% gravel road. Tires-253/85 R16, no plans to go any bigger than 255/85 R16

A couple questions:
1) even with the heavy front bumper and the 5.9 Cummins, the front is still higher than the rear by about 1”, I would like to get the rake back, so I am thinking maybe a 3” lift aft. Have a chance to get some General Springs for a 3500. Looking for some lift without the beet truck ride. Any ideas? Somewhat of a budget project
2) recently got fleeced by a shop( caught in a time crunch) they replaced the steering box - now it leaks like a sieve-and track bar as well as the lift pump(not sure if necessary as they then installed a draw straw). So I am looking at replace ing the steering pump and eventually the track bar with a DOR unit, not sure what might work best with my uses.
A couple pictures for reference, can provide more when I get to the PC.

Current:76906C74-BA27-4882-972B-46D68A25A497.jpeg

earlier pic towing:
E8479051-3E2C-490A-B318-15EA195256BF.jpeg

unburdened:
3F96F69F-7BB6-4ED4-8B2A-77849F6B4746.jpeg

Thanks for this thread

Last edited:

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
3500 springs would be fine, you can even delete a leaf from the stack to reduce the bounce factor. if you need more lift use shackles and avoid blocks at the springs, they become a PITA for axle wrap when towing heavy. Get really high end shocks to dampen that spring down and it should ride night and day better.

I like the 24v but I cannot stand the pump. I love the 24v P-Pump setup for reliability.

nothing looks better than a white RAM with a turbo diesel badge, no matter whats under the hood it's still gonna be good.

Arctic Taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I was thinking about going with some Bilsteins aft, the KORE leveling kit (NIB-$200.00!) that I bought at my neighbor’s moving sale came with the silver ones that matched the lift. I had already changed them out to the silver ones when I replaced the OEM control arms with the DOR ones.
Yes, I don’t want to go with a higher lift block, I’ve never been a fan of the blocks.
Anyone have any input on a good power steering pump?
It looks like when they changed the steering box(they changed it 2-3 times till they got one they were happy with quality-wise- so that may be on the list as well) they might have cross threaded the output line, so looking to replace that sometime in the future. Luckily I haven’t had to use the truck much. After the abuse on the front end driving the Park road, I switched over to the Tacoma as the daily driver.
The Air Dog lift pump seems to do well, I still have the FASS that the shop replaced, I need to test it before I dispose of it, it only had about 3500 miles on it, that is why I was leary about letting it go.

Last edited:

Arctic Taco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Good to know. Yeah, I would like to do the P-pump set up but the Air Dog and a spare(?) FASS will have to do. Lot’s of other high dollar stuff to do before then I think.

Last edited: