Lighting advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The sport conversion is an ok upgrade. You will need to clearance the light openings on your fenders to run them.

I have a 96 Ram 1500, which while it has the "Sport" trim package it still has single bulb housings. What has to be done to the fenders to switch to the 99-01 Sport 2 bulb headlight housings?

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Then 99+ had different fenders? Since the aftermarket only lists 94-01 (02) replacement fenders, I wonder if the replacements have the enlarged openings.

EDIT - Pulled up a couple you tube videos that answered my question. Different fenders 99 up. One video showed the "surgery" needed for connector clearance.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yup. You've got to trim it up some. I've got everything I need to do the job at work so it'll be easy for me.

I've ordered my set of "conversation headlights" and they should be here Monday. Since they use 9007 for low and 9004 for high I'll be using my current LED bulbs for my high beams and I ordered Philips X-treme vision for 9007 lows. I decided to keep the LEDs since they were going to be the high beam and common road manners suggests not blinding oncoming drivers with your high beams. Of they don't work out I will replace them with X-treme vision as well.

The one thing I've determined by looking g at the Amazon links is to put a bead of caulk around the headlight housing seams because some people have had water issues.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It kinda seems odd the factory bulb choices for the Sport headlight package. I'm used to the "traditional" method of lighting the bulbs where the "low beam" bulbs are a dual element bulb, while "hi beams" are usually single element bulbs. It seems with the Sport headlamp package when you use a 9007 in the low beam position and a 9004 in the hi beams you are using two dual element bulbs. Why? Usually, "low beams" are the low beam elements of the outer bulbs, and the hi beam bulbs aren't lit. Hi beams are usually the hi beam elements of the outers and the single elements on the inners (although some other brand vehicles use all single element bulbs, and simply shut the low beam outer bulbs off when the hi beams are on). But I've never noticed that all 4 bulbs were lit in low beam mode. So, at that point, why use dual filament hi beams? Are they firing both filaments in any of the bulbs in hi beam mode? What am I missing here? In factory trim, what elements of what bulbs are firing when? I have read that some people prefer the pattern of running the low beam elements in the outer lights during hi beam operation. Since I'm getting ready to upgrade to Sport housings I'm trying to do my homework, and deciding what bulb light fires when determines how to design my relay package. Thanks, Willie. :shrug:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It kinda seems odd the factory bulb choices for the Sport headlight package. I'm used to the "traditional" method of lighting the bulbs where the "low beam" bulbs are a dual element bulb, while "hi beams" are usually single element bulbs. It seems with the Sport headlamp package when you use a 9007 in the low beam position and a 9004 in the hi beams you are using two dual element bulbs. Why? Usually, "low beams" are the low beam elements of the outer bulbs, and the hi beam bulbs aren't lit. Hi beams are usually the hi beam elements of the outers and the single elements on the inners (although some other brand vehicles use all single element bulbs, and simply shut the low beam outer bulbs off when the hi beams are on). But I've never noticed that all 4 bulbs were lit in low beam mode. So, at that point, why use dual filament hi beams? Are they firing both filaments in any of the bulbs in hi beam mode? What am I missing here? In factory trim, what elements of what bulbs are firing when? I have read that some people prefer the pattern of running the low beam elements in the outer lights during hi beam operation. Since I'm getting ready to upgrade to Sport housings I'm trying to do my homework, and deciding what bulb light fires when determines how to design my relay package. Thanks, Willie. :shrug:

Honestly I couldn't tell you but some people seem to use mods that donfire both elements at the same time. I considered having the low beams in both the high and low beam slots run at the same time but I'm a little concerned about how the high beam section will throw the light. I've seen where some people say that it is more of a spot, so I'm worried that it may blind oncoming drivers. I do plan on having both bulbs run high beams at the same time though since I won't be using them around traffic.

The upside is I have all the room, tools, and materials to that I will need to make it happen.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Honestly I couldn't tell you but some people seem to use mods that donfire both elements at the same time. I .considered having the low beams in both the high and low beam slots run at the same time but I'm a little concerned about how the high beam section will throw the light. I've seen where some people say that it is more of a spot, so I'm worried that it may blind oncoming drivers. I do plan on having both bulbs run high beams at the same time though since I won't be using them around traffic.

I'm interested in seeing pics of the pattern with all 4 low beam filaments running. I always thought it was strange to not just throw a 9006 or something in there.

OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm interested in seeing pics of the pattern with all 4 low beam filaments running. I always thought it was strange to not just throw a 9006 or something in there.

I could probably rig up a temporary harness to see how it looks.

They won't be in until Friday so I won't be able to do any relay work until Monday.

Edit: I'm not sure how good it will look as my high beams will end up being LEDs but I will probably set it up using the stock bulbs that come with them at first.

Last edited:

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I doubt if I will wire mine to burn all 4 bulbs on low beams. Many of the local cities around here (Southern Detroit area) have ordinances against running hi beams inside city limits and I can see that being perceived as running on the hi beams. I'll probably build my relay and wiring package so I can select which outer beam to run while on hi beam. I had picked up a pair of Wagner 9004BLX BriteLites a while back and will probably use them in the hi beams, and pick up a couple 9007's for the low's. The guys in the Candlepower forum seem to like the GE Nighthawk Platinums as a good all around bulb, so I may grab a pair of those FOR MY 9007's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So...... After some thought while I waited fory housings to show up I realized that I would.need to buy high beam bulbs because my LEDs wouldn't work. So tonight I decided to install them anyway for ***** and giggles. I was completely right. With the high beams my light fires straight out to the sides. I figured this would happen because the LEDs are side firing.

Literally these:
88621849_size.jpg

So it was a fun/funny thing to try. I will correct this tomorrow when I adjust the beams.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Shadow - are the bulb alignment tabs in your new housings clocked different from each other, to reflect the differences between the 9007's and 9004's?

I was reading on a lighting forum where a member was selling conversion relay/wiring kits. The member wires his to burn all 4 elements on low beams and all 8 on high beams. Several people using his kit had posted that they were having people flash their lights at them because of the low beams looking like hi beams. Another guy said with all 8 elements on you could roast turkeys on the lenses! So at that point I think I will go with my plan to use premium 9007 outers and 9004 inners, fire the outer low elements on low beams, and all 4 hi elements on hi beams, with the option on a toggle to run the low outers and the hi inners on hi beams. Since I am retired and wire race cars for extra cash, building the conversion harness with relays, new sockets, and breakers is pretty much just pulling parts out of the cabinet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Shadow - are the bulb alignment tabs in your new housings clocked different from each other, to reflect the differences between the 9007's and 9004's?

I was reading on a lighting forum where a member was selling conversion relay/wiring kits. The member wires his to burn all 4 elements on low beams and all 8 on high beams. Several people using his kit had posted that they were having people flash their lights at them because of the low beams looking like hi beams. Another guy said with all 8 elements on you could roast turkeys on the lenses! So at that point I think I will go with my plan to use premium 9007 outers and 9004 inners, fire the outer low elements on low beams, and all 4 hi elements on hi beams, with the option on a toggle to run the low outers and the hi inners on hi beams. Since I am retired and wire race cars for extra cash, building the conversion harness with relays, new sockets, and breakers is pretty much just pulling parts out of the cabinet.

OK So here you go. This is what these headlight housings look like: https://imgur.com/a/GTqFj

They are made by TYC and resold by Headlight Depot. I did see a bunch of reviews from 2012 saying that these housings tend to build up mosture so I went around the entire seam between the lens and the housing with silicone caulking to help with that. They are actually pretty solidly built. The plastic seems to be stronger than the SPPC Crystal headlights I got early last year for this truck. In those pictures you can see why the LEDs for the high beams won't work too.

Low vs High : https://imgur.com/a/mTHXz

I suspect people flashing their highs at others for using both bulbs in low beams comes from the fact that the high beam spot focuses the beams in a spot light fashion. They're getting a focused beam of 9004 in their eyes as they're driving. This is also why I chose not to do that for low beams. I don't mind with my highs because I won't be driving around traffic with them on.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The TYC's were at the top of my list when I buy the housings. I've used that brand of other parts and were happy with them. Rock Auto shows that p/n for just over $100 a side, listed as TYC brand. Funny thing is, they also list TYC as one of the various suppliers for the "warehouse" stock for about $70 a side, and if you call and have them check stock availability they let you pick from the brands in stock.

Very interesting the difference in the reflector patterns between the low and hi beams. I wonder if that is just to focus the bulbs differently, or to compensate for the difference in the 9004s/9007s filament positioning. Probably both.

Also interesting how focused the hi beam pattern stripes are, to the point of "dead" spots between the beam patterns. The low beams kinda appeared brighter (on the ground) than the hi beams did. That could be why some people suggest running the 9007's low beam filaments on both low and hi beams, and just adding the 9004's hi filaments for hi beams. It's a shame you can't focus the beams individuality.

I've also considered a set of 100w Hella's for the hi beams. Don't know how the beams would be focused, but they would be BRIGHT - LOL. I had a Ford years ago with 4651/4652s - I ran 100w Cibie's in the hi beams. They would light up roadside reflectors from over 2 miles. Ended up in a few interesting discussions with the local PoPo over those :hmm:

From trolling the candlepower forums it seems like it isn't just the Ram owners complaining about the 9004's poor performance - many other cars share the same complaint.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I had seen those kits already. Good price for both assemblies, although I probably would still put in premium bulbs. I noticed the harnesses just fire the 9004's hi beams. Some of the other kits have all 3 wires into the 2nd plug.

I plan on doing rust repair in the spring, which includes changing the drivers fender. I will probably look for the best deal on a pair of TYC housings - loaded or not. If that deal includes harnesses and bulbs, realistically I would probably just E-bay those, since I will build my own harness with ceramic plugs and relays, and use premium bulbs. Probably have it done just in time for daylight savings, when I rarely need headlights anyways LOL

OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had seen those kits already. Good price for both assemblies, although I probably would still put in premium bulbs. I noticed the harnesses just fire the 9004's hi beams. Some of the other kits have all 3 wires into the 2nd plug.

I plan on doing rust repair in the spring, which includes changing the drivers fender. I will probably look for the best deal on a pair of TYC housings - loaded or not. If that deal includes harnesses and bulbs, realistically I would probably just E-bay those, since I will build my own harness with ceramic plugs and relays, and use premium bulbs. Probably have it done just in time for daylight savings, when I rarely need headlights anyways LOL

I didn't care about the bulbs I just wanted the harness. I put Philips X-treme vision 9007 bulbs in the low beams. I had to reuse the stock 9004 for highs since my LEDs didn't work in those housings.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963