Liking the Airlift 1000 air bags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
O.K. your right. Funny how the salesman never mentioned the 1500 not being suitable for a slide-in camper even though I mentioned it several times and took measurements for that purpose.
Any way I probably would have purchased the 1500 with the intention of adding equipment to make the truck usable for the 5 to 10 days a year that I have the camper on. That's not a lot different than guys buying lift kits and different tires for off-road terrain.
So, how do I solve the sway? Stiffer springs, larger sway bars and taller bump stops are all available.

You solve it by buying a truck that is made to haul it. You can add all that stuff but it is just going to be a bandaid for the bigger problem. You might add all that stuff and it will be fine until that one time you get a really good cross wind and it will be game over for you.
Of course the dealer didn't say anything, most of them couldn't even tell you whether it has a trailer Hitch or not and what you would use the Hitch for, they are just trying to get you to sign on the dotted line.

RamRodRic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
there are aftermarket coils that are 25-50% stiffer than stock. and yes, an aftermarket (hellwig) rear sway bar would help. so would some better shocks (bilstein maybe). but the above bandaid comment is right on. have you been across any scales with the camper on and loaded for a trip? i'll bet your little 3900lb rear axle is overloaded. THAT is what i would be most concerned about.
before you, or anyone else, run out and buy a 2500 be very careful. i've found a pretty loaded 2015 2500 ctd 4x4 on my dealers lot with a payload only 151 lbs greater than my hemi express 1500qc 4x2. look at the sticker on the door jam to make sure it meets your hauling needs.
IMG_0856.jpg
IMG_0857.jpg
IMG_0855.jpg
IMG_0854.jpg

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Where do you guys put the air valve at on your trucks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
there are aftermarket coils that are 25-50% stiffer than stock. and yes, an aftermarket (hellwig) rear sway bar would help. so would some better shocks (bilstein maybe). but the above bandaid comment is right on. have you been across any scales with the camper on and loaded for a trip? i'll bet your little 3900lb rear axle is overloaded. THAT is what i would be most concerned about.
before you, or anyone else, run out and buy a 2500 be very careful. i've found a pretty loaded 2015 2500 ctd 4x4 on my dealers lot with a payload only 151 lbs greater than my hemi express 1500qc 4x2. look at the sticker on the door jam to make sure it meets your hauling needs.
IMG_0856.jpg
IMG_0857.jpg
IMG_0855.jpg
IMG_0854.jpg

Who in their right mind would buy a HD truck with as much payload as a 1500? If I'm going to spend the 60k that truck costs it better be able to tow a decent camper!

RonSS350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Payload

That is a little odd. My 6 cyl 2WD quad cab 1500 has a payload of 1732 lb. The additional payload might be the difference in engine weight.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That is a little odd. My 6 cyl 2WD quad cab 1500 has a payload of 1732 lb. The additional payload might be the difference in engine weight.

Between engine weight and the 2wd part that is why your payload is so high.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Bet you don't have leather heated/cooled seats, sunroof, 32 gal tank, center console and every other thingy. I kept noticing that if I wanted all the options, I had to give up payload or go 2500. But if you want all the options in 2500 then you have to go up in price into the land of insanity, or buy older than 4 yrs and high milage. When it comes to payload everything is a trade off, and dealers are sneaky about it. And it's not just Dodge, before I even settle on a Dodge I saw the same thing on the Ford lots. Dealer would taught the Eco-boost can tow 11000lbs, but fail to point out the 998lbs payload on the door sticker. Pretty much makes that Plantium useless in my book.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Bet you don't have leather heated/cooled seats, sunroof, 32 gal tank, center console and every other thingy. I kept noticing that if I wanted all the options, I had to give up payload or go 2500. But if you want all the options in 2500 then you have to go up in price into the land of insanity, or buy older than 4 yrs and high milage. When it comes to payload everything is a trade off, and dealers are sneaky about it. And it's not just Dodge, before I even settle on a Dodge I saw the same thing on the Ford lots. Dealer would taught the Eco-boost can tow 11000lbs, but fail to point out the 998lbs payload on the door sticker. Pretty much makes that Plantium useless in my book.

I was just pricing one out. Xlt 4x4 crew cab 6.5 box 4x4, 11000 lbs towing capacity and just over 2k of payload. That was with the ecoboost without the heavy payload package, I'm sure that would have gotten it a little higher.