limited slip rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 supercharged at 10psi
Im calling my shop this week so they can order me a brand new 3.92 limited slip rear axle for the rumblebee. Tired of having to put it in 4 wheel drive to get any kind of real traction. Im getting the whole axle assembly, so i know it will be set up correctly and getting a three year 36k warranty on it. The whole thing is going to run about $2,400 but it seems like a worthwhile investment. Truck still only has 27k miles and has its original tires on it, in like new shape.*Im brining it in on the 18th and it should be done later on in the day.*
Can't wait till spring...i really want to get some pics of both bees together in a nice setting
The snow is getting old this year. Seems like it snows every 3-4 days lately. Charger barely leaves the carport anymore...

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
A guy at a shop I hang out at ordered a complete axle for about $1200, so two axles that sounds about right. Of course there will be the labor of install added to the total bill. Personally I would use the 4:10 gear and not the 3:92. You will still have a OEM differential that has been known to have the occasional problems. Overall I wouldn't do it. You appear to have money to spend on your truck so why not upgrade and do it with better parts? If it has a open differential install a lunch box differential and you really need to replace the tires. Of course this is only my 2 cents and I'm sure you will get other opinions. Good luck..

OP
OP
dmacell1

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive thought about a locker but it just doesnt have the same handling as a limited slip.
The tires have actually been really excellant in the snow this year. I know they dont offer terrific traction on dry pavement but they are still like brand new and i just can replace them with so much tread still on them. Maybe for next winter though...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Detroit tru trac diff installed and have had no problems with traction yet. It's also super smooth through sharp turns. You should check it out.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I have a Detroit tru trac diff installed and have had no problems with traction yet. It's also super smooth through sharp turns. You should check it out.

I also use a DTT and they are great except for a slight clunk the differential develops over time. I spoke with the manufacturer and they told me that was because of the design and nothing can be one about it. Also there is no rebuilding the unit, it has to be done at the factory. I have used lockers in the past and admit they do drive a little different, but the DDT will exhibit the same characteristics if powered into a turn. If I break the DDT which is unlikely, I'll stick a lunch box in next time.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't developed a clunk at all. Mine seams to run seamlessly. How many miles do you have on your diff?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I haven't developed a clunk at all. Mine seams to run seamlessly. How many miles do you have on your diff?

Probably close to 30k. I don't beat the truck and have short tires, but do play some.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmm. I have about the same, around 40k. However, I tow and have 34" A/ts. Maybe I got a good batch.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As to the OP do not waste your time with the factory LSD. Those clutch pack retaining clips break and you'll be back to square one eventually. Just upgrade what you already have and it will be cheaper.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
What is a lunchbox diff?

Ch

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dmacell1

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a rear axle locker that installs in about an hour with basic tools. They tend to push in corners upon acceleration though. Some will even click or squeal tires when making tight corners.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So its just a locking diff...thanks d....what causes the push/understeer? Do you have to shim it like regular lockers?

Ch

OP
OP
dmacell1

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No shims it just slides into the housing and replaces the center gear.
It pushes because of the locking mechanism. If you throttle into a corner the wheels will lock. A limited slip will allow some slipage where a locker will only do it when you lift up on the throttle. Hence the oversteer. Takes a bit of getting used to.
Thats the main reason im going with a limited slip over a locker. Id say the locker is best for trails and off roading where you need it for rock crawling wheas the limited slip is more for street.
IMO

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ahh. Got it thanks again

Ch

OP
OP
dmacell1

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Np
Just paid for the axle assembly yesterday. It was $2,250. Labor is going to run another $285 to install it. Looking forward to getting some real traction!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Interesting I would have suggested the Auburn really good LSD.

$miley

OP
OP
dmacell1

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought about it but i didnt trust the speed shop who was going to do the install. It takes a real good mechanic to set one up right.
The local shop ive been using for years just has to swap out the axles and it will get done in a couple hours.
Hopefully it will hold up with all the extra hp.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FYI I would keep a close eye on your new diff. The OEM LSD is know for clutch pack clips breaking off. You'll end up finding a w shapes piece of metal in the bottom of the housing. The reason most of us get the Auburn or trutrac is because our factory LSD broke.

What year axle did you order? I heard the newer ones had beefed up clips.

OP
OP
dmacell1

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its all new. There is a shop in philly that builds them. Then it was shipped to my local mechanic complete. I think they use that axle in the new trucks still. Ill find out on Tuesday the exact setup. I know my mechanic spent a bit of time researching it because he knows how i am with my vehicles. He has seen the setup on my truck and knows it puts down some serious power. Hopefully i wont need to use the 3yr 36kwarranty that it comes with.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh okay, so its a complete aftermarket axle assy probably with an auburn Diff already installed. You'll have no worries then. I thought you ordered a factory oem unit.