Live with it,keep tuning,add another sub, get a smaller amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I'm a hour from a store that I could by a sub at and then return it. The small local shop heard my truck helped me tune the 4ch but when we were doing the sub he just said the amp was a beast and the sub couldn't take it but they dont do any sundown. They have skar and kicker subs there

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I don't know it def could be a faulty sub or something wonky going on but a lot of people have mentioned the same issue with the SA series subs in sealed applications.
I know Sundown will tell you they prefer the SA series to be in a ported application but sealed will work too. However I have read numerous times (I have never owned a SD sub) that those SA subs are Completely different animals in a ported enclosure

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bad noise usually is bad sub or bad (leaky) box.

To set gain - set your crossovers, make sure EQ is flat, any bass boost is at 0, and bass knob is at max.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2 Sundown SA12 in a sealed box. each sub has 1.3 total cf then minus the sub displacement. They sound really good and hit really hard. I have them wired at 1 ohm and using a 1500D sundown amp. total of 1500watts, i have my xover around 80hz. If your having the problems of not enough volume or sound or sound crappy id say your sub is blown or a wiring mistake. I would go over and check all wiring on sub and on amp.

OP
OP
W

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
How about a dust cap that was loose and not sealed? Would that do it?

OP
OP
W

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Hopefully that's the problem. We will see tomorrow. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully this is the only issue

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have my slope set at -6db

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have my slope set at -6db

I like to keep my slopes at 18dB +, especially with subwoofers. I don't want to have a low slope and have talk radio playing through my subwoofer when someone with a deep voice is talking.

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like to keep my slopes at 18dB +, especially with subwoofers. I don't want to have a low slope and have talk radio playing through my subwoofer when someone with a deep voice is talking.
It has more to do with the preout voltage I believe.

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Here's a clip of mine... Smh sorry for recording on my phone.

I just watched some videos... I don't think I'm pushing it hard enough.. it's loud asf in person but these videos I'm looking at seem to really be going hard.

Last edited:

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gonna use a dmm later to set my gain. See if I can get it close to optimal. Right now it's around 50% with zero bass boost and flat EQ lpf ~80hZ