LNG conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know there are several treads on this, but I cannot find long term reviews.

I will now need to use my truck for work, and need to drive around 50000 km per year ( around 35k miles ?)

I was looking to trade my 2014 6 speed hemi for a new pentastar , but I didn't like so much the feeling and power, and the dealer didn't give me enough for my truck.

Used ecodiesel are very rare here, and dealer ask too much for them.

So the only remaining choices are keep my hemi and took the bad mpg or convert it to natural gaz and reduce cost per liter .

But I have some fear about the engine life. Does anyone here run gaz converted truck for few years. What do you think about it ?

Here we have many natural gas station so this is not a problem.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is the cost of the conversion kit and how much cheaper per liter is CNG?

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
the conversion is about 5000$(cad) around here it's 40-70% cheaper ( depending of the time of the year)

According to what I read considering it get a drop of mpg , it supposed to get a around 50% economy in price .

I will pay the system in around 14 months according to them with my millage, and the system is easy to move to another truck.

But I want to have real world number , especially on long term.

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't know if this will be any help, but...I work for a nat gas utility. Our trucks are dual fuel (can use cng or gas). We ran cng a lot for about 2-3 yrs when gas prices were really high. We've been running strictly gas for the last 18 mos as cng prices aren't that far off from petroleum now. Also, our fleet trucks were always in the shop for some reason or another, ie fuel system issues, computer issues, sensors etc. To me it was more of a pita than anything. I believe a conversion runs aprox 5k. You said stations were all over which is in your favor. You'll need access to one every other day. You can install one at your residence, not sure of initial cost on that. Would guess another $1,500? Some things to think about.

Micks-hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How bout Propane?

If i can throw in My 2 cent's. I work for one of the BIG propane company's up here in Canada. Alot of our Guy's have converted to propane. The newer conversions are far superior to the older day's. The power loss is minimal and the price of propane is almost half that of gas! Many of them have Ram's and some Ford's aswell. I have a 2016 Ram the i'm seriously considering converting. Not to mention my staff price makes it a no brainer! :) I've talked to them and there more than happy with the performance and mileage there getting!

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If i can throw in My 2 cent's. I work for one of the BIG propane company's up here in Canada. Alot of our Guy's have converted to propane. The newer conversions are far superior to the older day's. The power loss is minimal and the price of propane is almost half that of gas! Many of them have Ram's and some Ford's aswell. I have a 2016 Ram the i'm seriously considering converting. Not to mention my staff price makes it a no brainer! :) I've talked to them and there more than happy with the performance and mileage there getting!

Did you know if one of them have reach 150 000 km or more with that setup?

That's my biggest fear.

Also if there is a trouble with the engine ( even if the propane is not the cause of the engine failure ) for example, a bad lifter, manifold or any problem that I would have even without the conversion does the dealer apply the fca warranty or they will deny it because of the propane system?

cubmedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would be interested in a conversion for LPG instead of CNG. Propane has more filling stations than Natural Gas here where I live.

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I didn't saw it was different between propane and natural gas. It will be propane not natural gas.

Anyone else here converted to propane ? Did you had any trouble ?

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When l was a kid in the 70's, we had a John Deere 4010 LP tractor. That particular tractor ran a little hot. It made good power. It would pull a 5 bottom plow, no problem. I dont remember dad having any issues with it. But l assume that it was built to be LP, not a conversion. Spark plugs and oil lasted a long time. We always used it to grind feed, because it did not stink up the place like s diesel would.

At UPS, we have a lot of lng, and cng semi's. UPS usually does not do anything that is not cost effective.

OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know they are reliable in some vehicule ,and its cost effective. The propane here is at least half the cost of the regular gas.

My biggest fear what it does on long term on a hemi engine.

The company who install them in our province said they said they converted and they sad the hemi was the best engine in light duty pick-up to convert. No problem at all with the hemi.

But I cant trust a guy who to to sell his stuff even if it's that the truth.

That's why I'm looking for some people who converted their hemi to propane. Does it affect towing, does it affect engine longevity?

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IIRC - real life MPG #s are almost identical between Pentastar and Hemi.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did you know if one of them have reach 150 000 km or more with that setup?

That's my biggest fear.

Also if there is a trouble with the engine ( even if the propane is not the cause of the engine failure ) for example, a bad lifter, manifold or any problem that I would have even without the conversion does the dealer apply the fca warranty or they will deny it because of the propane system?

Back in the day I put 270,000kms on my Co Sonoma and it still ran like a Caddy. I don't like you install price though:favorites13: