Looking at a '12

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Local dealer gas a 2012, 3500 4wd Laramie. Little over 83k miles on it. Looks pretty clean, and stock. Price is $33,800.

What kind of mileage can I expect from a stock '12?

Any known issues with this particular year?

Been looking for a used Cummins for a while. What do y'all given?

Thanks!

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I forget the years affected but I believe some of the early 4th gens had issues with the emissions stuff, do you plan on keeping them or deleting? Check out cumminsforum there's a ton of info on there

OP
OP
usaf2006

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends. I'd probably keep them for a while simply for financial reasons. Unless if deleting saved more money from preventing repairs.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yea I'd look into deleting just cause they're prone to so many issues in the earlier models. I know they "fixed" the issues in 14+ but I'm not to knowledgeable on what years were the worst. Plus deleting drastically increases economy power drivability etc. I spend a lot of time on Cummins forum cause I was going to buy one before I bought the 6.4.

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If it were me I would delete it as soon as you're able to. Once you take off the emission stuff (For off-road use only of course) you'll see all the pile up inside caused by it. Getting all the history on the truck is always a big plus too.

As far as issues I'm not too aware of issues that are on the 4th gens.

Check out cumminsfourm for more information about more of the engine related questions, lots of knowledgable information on there

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
going by the way you told us you drive and the way told us you plan to use it and the loads you told us you will be carrying/towing and the mountains and prairies you told us you travel,like the other experts who've answered i'm going to say 80 miles to the gallon.or half a million overall,because you weren't clear on that either :waytogo:

Last edited:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have a '12 with the Cummins. The stock milage is horrible from what I can remember. 18 highway (if babied), 13 around town & 8-9 pulling the camper. Truck got deleted at about 5,000 miles and has 63k on it now. 22 highway, 17 around town & 12 pulling the camper. Rule of thumb is 3-4 mpg gain from doing deletes on a non-DEF truck (Ram started using DEF fluid as part of the emissions system in '13).

Regardless of the year, common issues from emissions equipped trucks are all emissions related. Soot clogged turbo, failed EGR valve or cracked EGR cooler, soot clogged grid heater are fairly common on trucks with a lot of idling hours. If you plan on keeping it stock I highly recommend getting some sort of bumper to bumper warranty for the first year or so to cover anything that pops up.

Not trying to deter you from buying, it's just guys join igotacummins all the time looking for help with issues after buying a used truck. There are plenty of good ones out there but it seems good to be prepared for the worst, just in case.

Also, when looking used, you will see a the '12s prices higher than 13s & 14s. The reason is the pre '13 trucks are much easier they are to modify. CANBUS is much less finicky, tuning is cheaper and requires less hard parts to remove. Occasionally I think about trading in my Cummins on a newer 6.4 since I don't tow that often but I am so happy with how she's running I can't imagine giving her up now

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye