Looking For A Complete Detail List (Auto Store & Commercial Quality)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BTD07

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^ Good advice. It's important to realize that after you wash and clay bar your paint is kind of "naked". It will be important to put some sort of polish or wax on the surface to protect the paint. As was stated above it can even be a spray wax(Opti Car Spray Wax) or if you like you can put a coat of Wolfgang 3.0 Sealant on. Remember a wax lasts about 3-4 weeks and a sealant last up to 6-8 months. Either one will provide protection to your paint--the variable is the length time they last. Please understand we are not trying to make this complicated for you we are just trying to match the products and process into your particular situation.
Jay

I usually wax after washing with a paste, but I do have some spray wax from when I had my charger emblems dipped to clean it. I will try that to save time!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay so call me a newb but I remember reading it is bad to use dawn on your paint? I wanted to make a quick detailer for claying one time with dawn and everything online said not to. Are you saying to wash with dawn as the car soap or in between? This is interesting. I will also look into a better method of claying as you said.
It is a new 2017 and white, so I cant imagine it has bad swirls, but just getting caught up in the pictures here and autopia of how much polishing does, I wanted to try it. Seems to be a bigger job than I would need right now.

The Dawn wash is actually to strip off whatever might already be on the paint. Especially "dealer installed" stuff.

My 2011 G37 smeared every time I tried to polish it. I freaked out because it looked like swirls every time. Actually paid a pro detailer to fix it for me, he called me back and said he had to use decon products to get off whatever was on it. Most likely "dealer installed".

So you Dawn wash it to strip off previous wax/polish/whatever, decon the paint with claybar/nanoskin, correct the paint (optional), Dawn wash again to remove anything left from the decon and optional correction steps, then you know you are applying your last step product to a pretty bare surface.

You're right about the white! My RAM is Bright White and boy was it hard to see swirls. Somewhat because there werent many, but mainly because in the sun its pretty hard to stare at it or find the right angle where it wasnt too bright that you could look at it. On the flipside, white doesnt need to BE perfect to actually LOOK perfect.

OP
OP
BTD07

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Dawn wash is actually to strip off whatever might already be on the paint. Especially "dealer installed" stuff.

My 2011 G37 smeared every time I tried to polish it. I freaked out because it looked like swirls every time. Actually paid a pro detailer to fix it for me, he called me back and said he had to use decon products to get off whatever was on it. Most likely "dealer installed".

So you Dawn wash it to strip off previous wax/polish/whatever, decon the paint with claybar/nanoskin, correct the paint (optional), Dawn wash again to remove anything left from the decon and optional correction steps, then you know you are applying your last step product to a pretty bare surface.

You're right about the white! My RAM is Bright White and boy was it hard to see swirls. Somewhat because there werent many, but mainly because in the sun its pretty hard to stare at it or find the right angle where it wasnt too bright that you could look at it. On the flipside, white doesnt need to BE perfect to actually LOOK perfect.

Interesting.
I am sorry to keep pressing the issue but I wanted to give my truck a good wash this weekend so here goes;
I bucket wash it (only option) with dawn soap, whats the ratio? Then I clay bar it, and can I clay it with said dawn or should I use the quick detailer? Then I rewash it with the dawn mixture and wax it. Can I use the dawn mixture on the whole car chrome and wheels and bed liner? This honestly seems like the easiest solution for me to do..So I need the facts!
Thanks!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel that the Dawn isn't the most lubricious (is that even a word?) soap, so I tend to make sure I have plenty of soap in the water mix. As many suds as I can get.

And if I run out part way through, just dump whats left and start over (the Dawn you need is cheap! just the plain jane blue stuff, NOT concentrate)

You COULD use it for the whole truck but just assume wherever you let the Dawn dwell, you'll need to re-apply protection. On the bed it could be wax or a plastic protectant (do you have a bare bed? sprayed on liner? plastic drop-in liner?)

Chrome you can wax just like the paint.

While you're at it I would also consider a vinyl/rubber protectant product, to use on all of the weatherstrips to keep them clean/good looking/supple. I usually handle the weatherstrips when I do the interior, though.

OP
OP
BTD07

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel that the Dawn isn't the most lubricious (is that even a word?) soap, so I tend to make sure I have plenty of soap in the water mix. As many suds as I can get.

And if I run out part way through, just dump whats left and start over (the Dawn you need is cheap! just the plain jane blue stuff, NOT concentrate)

You COULD use it for the whole truck but just assume wherever you let the Dawn dwell, you'll need to re-apply protection. On the bed it could be wax or a plastic protectant (do you have a bare bed? sprayed on liner? plastic drop-in liner?)

Chrome you can wax just like the paint.

While you're at it I would also consider a vinyl/rubber protectant product, to use on all of the weatherstrips to keep them clean/good looking/supple. I usually handle the weatherstrips when I do the interior, though.

Okay this is forming into a plan!
I have a spray in bedliner I had the dealership do. And I read you can use tire shine on plastic trim? Or do you recommend a better product that I could run and grab?

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune

price is cheap, but I've never heard of that product. Meguiars/Adams, etc the other names listed above are more recommended than cheap brands. You'll appreciate the difference.

And as stated, Dawn is to strip the car of prior wax and oils that may have accumulated. After that, use a car wash soap to preserve what wax has been applied.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ That's an important point---after you wax/seal your paint don't use Dawn again unless you want to strip the wax/sealant off. Use a car wash soap.
Jay

Dbush36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What does everybody here think about chemical guys products? Are they at the level of meguiars and some of the others mentioned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Chemical guys are great products, too

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What does everybody here think about chemical guys products? Are they at the level of meguiars and some of the others mentioned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im no detailing PRO... But i have lots of chem guys products and have had phenominal results with every single product..
heres a before and after using only one pass of chem guys v36 compound on my 10 year old paint, next to zero dusting with that or the v38 polish. Then a pic of after the V38 polish and white light glaze then jetseal on top

Attachments

• swirls2.jpg
    swirls2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 19
  • corrected.jpg
    corrected.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 19
  • shine.jpg
    shine.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 21

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then this is with the chemical guys butter wet wax applied by hand87610f6c9959bec65905e913cfcf65fb.jpg7ef004a35634fec0a2ef6da8ba663e3c.jpge72820b37e48b08a6ee1e46727b68173.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HIGHLY recommend chemical guys products, especially if your not a "super expert" like me lol. absolutely amazing results, pretty darn cheap, basically newbie proof and super easy to use. These pictures are from the very first detail ive done in my life so the results cant be more then about 10% technique lol. Though i did do a lot of research before doing anything.

Anyways regardless of what products you use my one tip ill give is TAKE YOUR TIME during ALL the prep work!! the 1st washing/stripping, the claying, the second wash etc.

Thunderbucket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've used CG as well as collinite products, can't go wrong with either

If you can't dodge it... RAM it!