Looking for a SHTF truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Considering a zombie apocalypse truck (pre-1985?) project truck and prefer it to be Dodge. Ideas on year and model? Gas 4WD preferred.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope you get to do it, something I have wanted to do. Wasn't thinking Dodge, rather an H1 Hummer, turn it into a beast. Guess that's why I haven't done it, imagining larger than my wallet!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
65 D200 would be a bad ass zombie apocalypse truck, but probably a big project. FYI zombie apocalypse not happening. **** head apocalypse coming soon though. Be ready

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
anything 87 and older should be good to go. i would personally even consider getting a 88-91 and setting it up with a 4bbl intake and then using an adapter plate to keep the tbi until you need to run a carb. i know i have been thinking about putting tbi on my 81 just to make it run nicer but plan on leaving all the carb ignition stuff in place so that putting the carb on and be up and running in under an hour.

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Chainsaws for the win.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
1955 power wagon with a huge bumper/grate on the front. diamond plate steel welded halfway down the front windshield and side windows also with small rectangular opening for visibility and to put your rifle tip out. forget the last part if it'll be a daily driver.

and another favorite of mine has always been the old jeep/willys grand charokee/wagoneer. same treatment as above.

OP
OP
S0CAL

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Leaning towards that grand Cherokee. Still, the utility of a truck is nice. This baby may end up living on a hunting lease for awhile.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the only reason i would consider something like a dodge is for stuff like parts availability. they have been running the same basic engine/transmission combo's from the 60's to the early 90's. even certain parts from the late 90's engines will work with the older engines which is why i would choose them. i really don't know if i would want to use any jeep unless it had a drive train swap with something that is easier and more straight forward to find parts for. i just know i have been told when amc ran things they would slap a whole bunch of random parts together to make it work which is ok if parts are readily available at the click of a button but not if you got to go searching for them. there is even a few fords or chev's i would consider using since parts are pretty readily available.