Looking into a Ram 1500 (Plus & minuses)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Love my Express, its has everything I wanted and does not have all the other crap..lol alittle more basic.
5.7 and the 8sp is a great set up.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am on my 4th Ram....had a couple of 1/2 tons, went to a 3/4 ton for towing a 5th wheel, and just bought another 2017 1500. I always look at the other brands, but the value and ride seems to be the best to me with the Ram.

I've had only hemi engines, though I did have a 2000 with a 5.9 v8.

I have never had an issue with any of them, except my 3/4 ton whistling when the A/C was on, but the dealer fixed it.

I generally get around 20-21 mpg, I tow up to 4500 pounds about 5-6 times a year. The hemi seems to love to spin when towing, and there is never an issue.

The only thing I don't like about my current truck is that I got the quad cab instead of the crew cab....it gave me a longer bed, but now I would rather have the inside room....oh well!

I had thought about a V6, but I'd rather have more engine than I need than need more engine than I have. The extra initial cost is not that bad, and the mpg is near the same.

My only real gripe is with the crappy goodyear tires. I just replaced mine at 23,000 miles and they were almost down to the wear bars....not good with winter coming. I went with Falken AT3's in the stock 275/60/20 size, and love them....quiet, smooth, and rugged.

I plan to go 150,000 miles and trade it in....probably for another Ram!!

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Learned the hard way, get the biggest options available. 3.92 gears, hemi, etc.
Not once have I ever said I wish I didn't have so much power or capability.

Dislike of ram 1500:

-Transmission shifter dial.

-8 speed transmission- according to ram its a sealed unit with lifetime fluid. No dip stick. No truck should ever have a sealed unit with lifetime fluid. ZF makes the transmission and they recommend fluid changes at 50-60k. The filter is built into the transmission pan- $$$, special transmission fluid-$$$$.

-4wd auto-clutch based transfer case, known issues and offers a 4wd lock feature. 4wd lock is the same as 4wd auto. Nothing changes.

-maintenance schedule- axles require fluid change 18-20k=$$$ (dealer charges $140-200). Small oil filter on Hemi due to electric power steering, V-6 drop in filters. Water pump issues, expect to replace them hopefully under warranty.

-fit and alignment- beds out of alignment, check before taking delivery.

Good news, take no less than $10k off MSRP. Dealers advertise 10k off daily. You should be able to get more off with some haggling.

Look at dennisdillion ram for some low prices advertised.

strengthrehab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found a 2017 express Standard cab, short bed, no power accessories, 3.92 gears, 20" wheels, Hemi for 22k. OTD. (Silver)

Working on another. Same truck, power accessories, 3.21 gears, 20" wheels.

(Blue). Trying to get same price.

Towing.would only be 1-2x per year for a while at most.

I prefer blue.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk