Looking to buy 2014 3.6 4x4 Outdoorsman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

droopie85gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm needing to replace my 2007 Avalanche. I'm going to look at a 2014 Outdoorsman 4x4 with the 3.6 and 8 speed. it has 60k miles. Is there anything I should look at in particular? I can see in the pics it has cloth interior and the driver seat bottom is coming off. Other than the cloth interior it looks fairly loaded.
What are the real world mpg people see with the 4.4 quad cab and 3.6/8 spd? My avalanche averages a very disappointing 16.2 avg and the build quality is terrible.

What's the warranty on the 2014 models? 100k powertrain?

Thanks for any advice and tips in advance!

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have the '13 Outdoorsman package but have the 5.7 and 6 speed. No issues at all other than the standard recalls and software flashes. I can't imagine that even with the 3.6 and 8 speed you'll get much more in combined or city driving than what your avalanche currently gets. I get about 14 or so combined.

OP
OP
droopie85gt

droopie85gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well on the Av because of the problems with the lifters collapsing I have the AFM disabled so I only get about 19 on the highway. I use fuelly to log my mileage and checked out 2014 3.6 Rams and a lot of people are averaging 18-19 which is a decent increase. If it gets 21-23 on the highway at 71-74 I'd be happy.

My biggest nag and I should have thought about it more before I bought the POS, is it's a 2007. GM is going bankrupt. People are laid off and production is crawling because of lack of demand. No one cares. The dash on all of these cracks badly and it sounds like the dash is falling out. The front suspension squeaks like a dog's chew toy and the rear has a bushing or something going out. I haven't been able to determine exactly what yet. To top it off, the starter relay or the starter itself is starting to flake out. I'd probably going to take a loss, but it's getting close to 200k miles and it's just going to get worse.

I'm going to look at 12-16 Ram's mainly. I like the look. I rented a Laramie last year and took it on a 1600 mile round trip. It of course was loaded and had the hemi, but I really liked the ride and ergonomics. I've got the 85 Mustand in my avatar to fulfill my V-8 exhaust and burnout addiction, so a bit more miserly V6 is ok in my book. And I would guess even at 48 help out the insurance.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know what your budget is, but the 2017 closeouts are going for fairly cheap. And you get a new warranty. Id imagine theyd be fairly inexpensive. MPG on your avalanche is better than my 4x4 Laramie so I wouldn't be expecting miracles, even with a V6.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This is a good post... although I purchased mine last week and don't have a ton of miles, I love it! I also hunted info and if anyone knows anything to look out for or stay on top of, I'd appreciate it.

I'm over here across the state line and go to Memphis a lot. Rolled through there a few days ago out to Germantown to the Apple store and didn't drive crazy, but sped. I got home and the average mpg was 21.8. That was a clear day though. Sometimes I240 can be a parking lot.

So far I'm pretty impressed with this 3.6 and the 8 speed.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Well on the Av because of the problems with the lifters collapsing I have the AFM disabled so I only get about 19 on the highway. I use fuelly to log my mileage and checked out 2014 3.6 Rams and a lot of people are averaging 18-19 which is a decent increase. If it gets 21-23 on the highway at 71-74 I'd be happy.

My biggest nag and I should have thought about it more before I bought the POS, is it's a 2007. GM is going bankrupt. People are laid off and production is crawling because of lack of demand. No one cares. The dash on all of these cracks badly and it sounds like the dash is falling out. The front suspension squeaks like a dog's chew toy and the rear has a bushing or something going out. I haven't been able to determine exactly what yet. To top it off, the starter relay or the starter itself is starting to flake out. I'd probably going to take a loss, but it's getting close to 200k miles and it's just going to get worse.

I'm going to look at 12-16 Ram's mainly. I like the look. I rented a Laramie last year and took it on a 1600 mile round trip. It of course was loaded and had the hemi, but I really liked the ride and ergonomics. I've got the 85 Mustand in my avatar to fulfill my V-8 exhaust and burnout addiction, so a bit more miserly V6 is ok in my book. And I would guess even at 48 help out the insurance.

Your Avalanche is 11 years old and has almost 200k on it. Mechanical things break with usage. If squeaky suspension and a bad starter taint your attitude toward maintaining a high mileage vehicle, you should definitely buy new. And even then, you'll probably be disappointed. Don't get me started on engine noises/noisy lifters in the Rams... have a look on the Synthetic Oil thread and thank the EPA while you're at it. Set realistic expectations and most trucks out there today will surpass them.

Nathan Haslag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just got a 2017 express for 27500 out the door hell of a deal

3.6 4x4

worst tank of has 17.5mpg and best tank so far 21.9mpg i have about 3500 miles on mine

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
just got a 2017 express for 27500 out the door hell of a deal

3.6 4x4

worst tank of has 17.5mpg and best tank so far 21.9mpg i have about 3500 miles on mine

If at all possible, try to make the #s work to buy a new '17. Smokin' deals right now, especially with Auto Show incentives. Our Laramie CC 4x4 with 3.6 and a Leer topper has been wonderful. Over 3500 miles with a low of 18.6mpg and a high of 25.8! Happy hunting!

H8Train

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with the other guys and say try and buy new. With all the deals and incentives they have going now it makes sense. Hell I bought my 14 in 16, and if I just waited a few more months I could have had enough saved to buy brand new.

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
my 2015 just turned 92500 today and is still just as strong as ever. Best tank has been 24 MPG (doing my very best to get the best MPG). Worst tank has been 19.0MPG. Average since I bought it last year has been 22.5 MPG.

JohnBob08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

If I were you I would go with the 13-16 because of the fog lamps changing from horizontal to vertical. And if you want an 8 speed it will need to be a 14-16 because that was the first year for the 8 speed.

Brew99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 2016 SLT 4x4 CC w/ the 3.6l and get 10l/100km (23.5mpg) highway, but all city driving it really drops 15l/100km (15.5mpg). This also has a more aggressive tire than stock on 20"rims.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I got my 2015 2 WD v6 in December with 32K miles on it for $20K which I thought was a great deal. It's looks brand new. The owners packed was never opened still in the shrinkwrap when I got it. I am thinking it might have been leased. It's the first time I have ever bought used and of course you always have to be careful buying used and the miles were a little more than I wanted (would have preferred 25K or less) but the for the price I couldn't stop myself! I didn't need/want 4x4 or a v8. I am more a Home Depot truck user and don't tow or go off road much so for me it's been perfect so far. 22.5 is my best MPG so far I but I am driving to LA in two weeks so hope to get in the 24 to 25 range and see if I can get 600 miles out of one tank!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If i was in your shoes I would look for a 2 year old certified truck. The truck will already of taken the depreciation hit and you can get extra warranty out of it. I would drove the 3.6 first to make sure the power will work for you. If your ok with the 3.6l look around you'll be shocked on the prices even in the Laramie models if you can find them in the 3.6l.

Drew512

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just went from an 07 avalanche to a 14 laramie crew cab last month. I didn't drive any 6 cly rams, but the highway ride is much better on the ram. Even with the hemi I'm getting better mileage than the avalanche was getting. I did the front suspension on my av at 130k using quick struts and it was fairly cheap and quick to do in my driveway. I got rid of mine because it had a blown head gasket, needed a new transfer case and had body issues that cost more to fix than the truck was worth.

If you get a certified pre owned, it comes with a 7 yr 100k mile total warranty. Meaning the
Clock starts from the original in service date. My ram is a 14 that was originally registered in January of 2015 so the power train is covered until January of 2022 or 100k miles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a '13 outdoorsman with a v6 i liked it a lot. Its basically a "big horn" with the suspension upgrades/ski plates. If it wasnt for me being able to lower my payments when i got my laramie i would still have it. I would say i got close to 20-21mpg combined (city/hwy). I had the 26 gal tank and would get about 400-415miles o the tank.

I never towed with it so i couldnt tell you how that was.

Depending on what your budget is, from volume dealers you can probably get into a big horn for low 30's

TripleJackInGA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 2015 4WD 3.6 Quad Cab ST about 2 weeks ago. 92,500 miles, and it was 17,000 after taxes, title, etc.. It's stripped down, except for carpet. It was previously owned by a paving company or something, and apparently has never been off road, even though they had BFG K02 on it (which are cupped).
Originally didn't want the 3.6, but drove it because it was so cheap. The way they have it geared and the 8-speed, it has plenty of power. Around town I'm averaging 20MPG. Haven't had it on a highway trip yet to really gauge that.

jshillin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Picked up my '17 Express 3.6 Quad cab in the fall and I've averaged right at 20mpg all winter. That is after I leveled it and installed KO2's on 20" Sport wheels also... It was getting 22mpg with the 17" wheels/tires.

Bigphotog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I'm needing to replace my 2007 Avalanche. I'm going to look at a 2014 Outdoorsman 4x4 with the 3.6 and 8 speed. it has 60k miles. Is there anything I should look at in particular? I can see in the pics it has cloth interior and the driver seat bottom is coming off. Other than the cloth interior it looks fairly loaded.
What are the real world mpg people see with the 4.4 quad cab and 3.6/8 spd? My avalanche averages a very disappointing 16.2 avg and the build quality is terrible.

What's the warranty on the 2014 models? 100k powertrain?

Thanks for any advice and tips in advance!

Stay away from the V6 (gas)
Has a roller rocker problem!
My first one went out at 70,000 repairs covered it now at 100.000 it happened again! This is a known problem with the Penstar V6.
Dealer only replaced the one valve and lifter instead of replacing all of them when they had the whole top end of the engine apart!
Wish I knew they were going to do only one because I'd would have paid for the other lifters to be replaced...
Now I have to pay for them to do it all again!
I had other problems since day one with the engine.
It's not a Dodge truck anymore it's a Fiat - Ram now.
Fix it again Tony

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
Stay away from the V6 (gas)
Has a roller rocker problem!
My first one went out at 70,000 repairs covered it now at 100.000 it happened again! This is a known problem with the Penstar V6.
Dealer only replaced the one valve and lifter instead of replacing all of them when they had the whole top end of the engine apart!
Wish I knew they were going to do only one because I'd would have paid for the other lifters to be replaced...
Now I have to pay for them to do it all again!
I had other problems since day one with the engine.
It's not a Dodge truck anymore it's a Fiat - Ram now.
Fix it again Tony

Search for my posts on the disaster my 3.6 Pentastar was. FCA repaired/replaced everything on that truck and finally threw in the towel.

-Overheating - 3 x
-Transmission
-Torque converter
-Oil cooler
-etc.......

After buyback I drive a 5.7 Laramie Longhorn. Smiles once again....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk