Lose Steering

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 93W350, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:19 PM.

1. 93W350

93W350 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Turbo
    I have a 93 W-350 that I purchase one year ago and I cannot figure out steering issue. Dealer say's it's common for the first gen but I find it hard to believe. I've replaced the gear box with Red Head unit, new pump, dual steering stabilizers, alignment, and 1.5 degree shims for a total of 4.5 degree camber. To me the steering is lose and sloppy but everything underneath checks out at every mechanic I take it to. There is minimal return to center after turning even after adding the 1.5 degree shims. I refer to the steering issue as drifting. There is no natural resistance in the steering as my other vehicles. Anyone have any experience or input with this issue? Thanks.

Mark

2. crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie Senior Member

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    have you checked the steering coupler? borgeson makes a replacement steering shaft with a universal joint in place of the steering coupler. it is a bit expensive but should permanently solve the sloppy steering feeling.
    https://www.xtremediesel.com/Borgeson-000940-Steering-Shaft.aspx

you know you likely got ripped off on the alignment right? with a straight axle all they can adjust is the tow. there is no real camber or caster to adjust and if you have camber issued then there is something seriously wrong with the front axle.

3. 93W350

93W350 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Turbo
    Hi CrazzyWolfie,
    Thanks for the reply. The steering coupler has already been changed out to a universal joint style. Here's what I can tell you. When jacking the front end up and with the engine running I can turn the steering wheel itself another 1/2 turn after the tires have come to their complete stop point. Turning the engine off then the steering stops when the tires do. Red Head Steering Gears say's that's normal. Seem a bit far to continue turning to me.

4. crazzywolfie

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    does the truck have a lift kit in it? the stock 4x4 steering setup is really not the greatest. have you check to see if the steering box output shaft is still moving for that last 1/2 turn each way? i would almost guess it might be the drag link. if you have enough lift you could possibly install a cross over steering kit. cross over steering usually fixes quite a few 4x4 steering issues but usually costs quite a bit and requires a certain amount of lift to install one.

5. 93W350

93W350 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Turbo
    No lift, all stock. It is a 4X4 but absolutely no one here can figure it out. I've added the 1.5 degree shim and dual steering stabilizers to tighten it a bit but I'm still constantly adjusting to keep it in the center of the road. If I tighten the gear box then the return to center is worse. If I loosen the gearbox then the "drift" is worse. This can't be a factory acceptable issue.

6. crazzywolfie

Ram Year:
    81 93
    Engine:
    what shims are you talking about? do you got a picture of them? if it is all stock there should be no need to modify the factory geometry. the steering on the 4x4's is definitely a bit more different than the 2wd's and newer 4x4's

7. maxx442

maxx442 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Double check your draglink and your tie rod ends. Also the kingpins can cause issues on the Dana 60 front diffs.

8. maxx442

maxx442 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I presume he is talking about shims to rotate the axle on the spring perches. Rotating the pinion angle (differential) up or down will change the camber. As you stated, if it is entirely stock with no lift or mods, there should be absolutely no reason to shim it. Adding shims is probably just creating another issue and it is running him around in circles.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 12:14 PM
  9. 93W350

93W350 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Turbo
    The drag link and tie rods all check out ok. I'll look into the king pins next. Yes, the shims were added as directed by local shop but apparently wasn't needed. Guess I'll pull them back out. Thanks for the input. I'm learning as I go on this one.