Low electrical power at idle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pierson5085

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L crate motor
I have a 84 ram 5.2 and when the truck goes to idle, all the power goes real low. The radio cuts in and out, and all the lights go dim. As soon as I raise the rpms a little, everything runs fine. I've had the alternator tested and they said it was fine. I have checked the connections and everything seems fine as well. I'm at a loss and would really like some help.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
could be a voltage regulator failing. you may also want to look into doing the big 3 upgrade. essentially it is just upgrading some of the main power wires in your truck. the only one that usually really needs to be upgraded in these trucks is the power wire that runs between the alternator output and the battery. you usually see more consistent power output when you upgrade that wire.

OP
OP
P

pierson5085

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L crate motor
Voltage regulator is fairly new. I'll check the wires though. Usually pretty cheap?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think upgrading the wire should be fairly cheap. you could always check how much voltage the alternator is putting out and compare it to what voltage there is at the battery. a failing fusible link or connection on the alternator output wire would be causing a good voltage drop which is why it is a fairly good upgrade. it probably also wouldn't hurt to add a few extra ground connects. also did you make sure your voltage regulator is getting a good ground connection? the voltage regulator needs a good ground connection to control the voltage.