low speed front end clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

millhunky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys

When turning right or left slow speed and starting up a grade i have a clunking noise in my front end. Took to service they said everything tight and working just getting annoying. I can hear it especially when the suspension flexes like over a speed bump or the bump i go over to get into driveway

Any clues or suggestions

Thanks. Mark

Ohh 14 2500 cc. 6.4

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think I have that too. On mine, when I'm stopped and jerk the wheel left to right and back, there's a clunk. Don't know if it's from the leveling kit because I never ****** it without it.

I checked all the bolts and everything is nice and tight. I actually bent my breaker bar.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OP
OP
M

millhunky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya exactly doing what others said

Thanks for the link

Ryan102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Check the nuts on the drag link. mine were loose and created that popping or clunking sound

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
I'd be double checking the track bar bolts. They need to be ridiculously tight; I forget the spec off the top of my head but it's around 200 ft-lbs I believe. If they're loose at all they'll move around and clunk in the exact conditions you've described.

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Bulletin # 23-033-15

I have the same issue on my 2500 and I just saw this on the Cummins site. I haven't taken mine in yet but I'm planning to ASAP. The clunk is definitely worse the colder it gets.

Bulletin # 23-033-15
SUBJECT:
Rattle/Clunking/Popping Noise While Driving Vehicle On Uneven Roads
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the frame to body cushion isolators located under the right
and left cab A-pillars.
MODELS:
2014 - 2015 (DJ) Ram 2500 Pickup
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries:
NAFTA
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before April 18, 2015 (MDH
0418XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe a rattle/clunking noise or popping that can be heard and felt in the floor under the front passenger or driver side when the vehicle is driven on uneven roads, especially from a higher level to a lower level. Noise may be more audible at cold
temperature.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair
Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
2 68224164AB CUSHION, Body Hold Down

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I have the same issue on my 2500 and I just saw this on the Cummins site. I haven't taken mine in yet but I'm planning to ASAP. The clunk is definitely worse the colder it gets.

Bulletin # 23-033-15
SUBJECT:
Rattle/Clunking/Popping Noise While Driving Vehicle On Uneven Roads
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the frame to body cushion isolators located under the right
and left cab A-pillars.
MODELS:
2014 - 2015 (DJ) Ram 2500 Pickup
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries:
NAFTA
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before April 18, 2015 (MDH
0418XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe a rattle/clunking noise or popping that can be heard and felt in the floor under the front passenger or driver side when the vehicle is driven on uneven roads, especially from a higher level to a lower level. Noise may be more audible at cold
temperature.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair
Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
2 68224164AB CUSHION, Body Hold Down

I just had this TSB completed yesterday and the thunking is gone. I was also starting to pick up new thunking this last weekend and it too is gone.

The TSB does not require the dealer to confirm the condition, it actually says "If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair", so if you even think you're having the issue, go make them replace your body hold downs, and make sure you get the AB revision!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is fantastic. That makes 2 complaints that I had where there are verified fixes but the dealer chose to ignore them and say they couldn't duplicate my issue.

Ldynorton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
I'm so happy I'm not Crazy! Dodge said there was no Noise or Clunk. I'm sure they just didn't want to do the work! Clicking in the Steering I fixed last week. Clock Spring gone bad.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm so happy I'm not Crazy! Dodge said there was no Noise or Clunk. I'm sure they just didn't want to do the work! Clicking in the Steering I fixed last week. Clock Spring gone bad.
Print the TSB out and give it to them. They don't have to verify the concern to fix it.

TXRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Print the TSB out and give it to them. They don't have to verify the concern to fix it.

They do have to verify the concern to perform any TSB... (Technical Service Bulletin) does not carry the same weight as a Safety Recall. These are only created to help the Techs if they can't solve the problem on their own. If the truck is still under warranty they can/should perform the TSB if needed, but tech must Verify/Duplicate the customer concern.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They do have to verify the concern to perform any TSB... (Technical Service Bulletin) does not carry the same weight as a Safety Recall. These are only created to help the Techs if they can't solve the problem on their own. If the truck is still under warranty they can/should perform the TSB if needed, but tech must Verify/Duplicate the customer concern.
Most TSB's yes, this one however says right in it that if the customer complains of this symptom to do the fix no matter what. This especially works when you have the problem like me when the techs say there isn't even a TSB until you print it out and show it to them, then all of the sudden they can find it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just had this TSB completed yesterday and the thunking is gone. I was also starting to pick up new thunking this last weekend and it too is gone.

The TSB does not require the dealer to confirm the condition, it actually says "If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair", so if you even think you're having the issue, go make them replace your body hold downs, and make sure you get the AB revision!
I too had this done about 1 and a half years ago and haven't had a clunk since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963