lowering rear end only need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mighty_ram87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hi everyone I'm new here
First off I got an 04 ram crew cab that I picked up recently.I just did new shocks and coils and brakes done.
So here is the thing as it turns out my ram has an srt 10 front rotors and spindel and brake sytem.the person that had it did this .and the rear was way too low.the leaf sprigs were flipped under the rear differential..
So when I replaced the shocks the rear endsits way to tall .

I want to lower the rear without having the replace new gas a just kyb shocks
I hear That all I need is some drop shakles.is this correct ?if so is there a specific brand to go with.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If just replacing the shocks made the rear end raise up, shackles aren't going to help you because the shocks are too long for the lowered ride height and are actually what's holding the back of the truck up.

McGaughy's makes brackets to relocate the lower shock mounts for stock length shocks on a truck that has a flip kit installed, that would be your cheapest fix other than buying new shocks designed for the 4.5" flip kit.

OP
OP
M

mighty_ram87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the quick reply
Shocks were replaced but the truck was initially lowered with a flip kit. And I'd drove like s*#*.these shackles are not stock .

Are the shackles in the flip kit considered drop shackles?

The shakles.on the truck are petty decent size with different height adjustments it is currently in its lowest possible setting with these shackles there are four or five other setting to go even higher.

Last edited:

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not talking about the shackles. I'm talking about lower shock brackets. My truck has a flip kit on it and rides like factory in the rear.

If you added stock length rear shocks and the rear end raised up, you are supporting the weight of the truck by the shocks which are fully compressed and not by the springs as they were intended.

The shackles included in most flip kits are actually lift shackles. Stock shackles make it ride too low without a c-notch and drop shackles would put you riding on the axle all the time without one.

I still think your shocks are too long. Here is a picture of the brackets that McGaughy's sent me with my flip kit. I'm running them even with 5" drop shocks because I have drop shackles and a c-notch as well to get some extra travel in them.

http://www.mcgaughystore.com/dodge-ram/

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mighty_ram87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thank you . You have told me exactly what I wanted to hear. I just wanted to double check that info thanks alot.now I know what I need to do.