Lucas oil stabilizer in differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any one tried using lucas oil stabilizer in a differential. The bottles say you can run 25 to 100 percent in a diff. Just curious if any one has tried it.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Its basically just overpriced oil. I've seen oil analysis done on lucas oil stabiliser and synthetic oil. The only real difference is some of the additives that the Lucas oil has that most regular oils don't, but most regular oils also have some additives that lucas doesn't. I would never tell someone to run an engine on only lucas oil, but more than likely it can be done without any damage whatsoever, as long as the engine doesn't mind thick oil.

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't do it if you have a L.S.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I wouldn't do it if you have a L.S.

It begs the question. Does Toland have the LS differential, and how burnt out are the clutch packs if he does have it?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just get good oil like Redline and skip the additive crap.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've read that Lucas oil stabilizer lacks anti-foaming agents that the regular oil has. As it works its way though any kind of gearset (say, the ring and pinion gears of a differential) it starts to foam and causes the base oil to foam with it causing, well, no lubrication of the gears which will of course trash them in no time.

I'm not a big fan of additives overall. The only additive I use is a can of Seafoam in the gastank when the weather starts getting cold (winter) and when the weather starts getting warm again (spring).

If you have a limited slip carrier, LS additive is pretty much mandatory. I know that Royal Purple is supposed to have this additive already mixed in but I'm not sure how much I would trust it...

djnelson5460

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don’t use it! I have an ‘18 Ram 1500 with the 9.25ZF rearend, I put 1 qt Lucas Syn Oil stabilizer in and filled the rest with syn 75W-140, and after hearing how it can airate and bubble, I drove the truck for 10 min at highway speed, pulled the filler cap and the fluid came pouring out very bubbly and foam-like. It clearly is not good for differentials. It was close to 33% Lucas and 66% gear oil when this happened. I then drained it and filled it with straight 75W-140. Hope this helps

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Lucas additive won't hurt yer differential. You still need a base oil with LS additives or a separate LS modifier if you have a factory LSD. Lucas is known for it's abilities to cling and climb with metal gears. As a viscosity improvement oil (very thick) it stays in worn areas and provides a rolling cushion, but its not a substitute for worn out parts.

Most differential oils foam, but some more than others. You can add an anti foaming agent, Mopar used to offer one.

I'm not sure anyone would run a viscosity improver with 75-140 oil but hey...

BTW you should only run 20% or less of Lucas in gear oil. The standard 9.25 rear found in 2md gen Rams uses 4.9 PINTS for a fill service. I'd run no more than a half pint of Lucas...if you need more run 75-140 instead of the 75-90 recommended in the owners manual.

Last edited:

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
DJNELSON I'LL Bet 75/ 140 is not what your supposed to have in it.
Check that our Please..
It's been 11 years since I worked for the Stealership. But when I left 75/140 was not what you needed to use . I can't believe that's what you'd have gone back to .
.... Jus check it out .

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
DJNELSON I'LL Bet 75/ 140 is not what your supposed to have in it.
Check that our Please..
It's been 11 years since I worked for the Stealership. But when I left 75/140 was not what you needed to use . I can't believe that's what you'd have gone back to .
.... Jus check it out .
Factory recommended 80w90 for standard use and 75w140 for heavy duty

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
OK I worked for Dodge for 7 years or so. I thought we put in some special grease at the last ... After they changed to the American Axles & dropped the Dana's . we were no longer using 75w & 140.

Just be sure your correct on your RIG.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn